3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Awful mpg's for Power Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:32 AM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Awful mpg's for Power Wagon

ORIGINAL: JRH_PowerWagon_06

ORIGINAL: cmoschip

How did that install go for the FLX-180? Does it mount well or have to be "made to fit"? I'm worried about fans that come with those installation tie-wraps that go through the radiator itself - those bother me.
I installed one of those once. The vibration transferred to the radiator caused it to crack/leak.
Never again...
I've got over 10k miles and 6months on my install, without any issues (knock on wood). The install was clean. Just look up the article on www.Hemitruckclub.com That's exactly how I did mine using 4 brackets bolts to the to and bottom of the radiator. I'm not sure how much vibration it takes to crack a radiator, but my fan seems to be very well balanced, cause it sounds very smoother when it runs. And I have not heard of anyone else having problems with that setup.
I reset my overhead on a random basis, like before a long trip even if I didn't fill up first just to see what I get with strictly highway mileage.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:38 AM
motorhead426
All Star

Another comment on PowerWagon fuel economy... After reading that article four wheeler magazine I saw something interesting with the engine differences, read below...

The engine and transmission have gone through a few changes to make them more four-wheeling friendly. The shift points of the transmission have been moved further up the rev range, the drive-by-wire throttle pedal response has been softened, the fan's drive clutch engages at a slightly lower engine temperature and the engine idle speed has been bumped up 100 rpm to 750.

Thats a cut and paste from the end of the atricle. The shift points can directly affect mileage, as well as the lower engine temp, and raised idle speed. I just thought it was interesting.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

ORIGINAL: HemiBuell

It is a massive truck. Don't expect good mpg. Why would you buy a power wagon and even think about your mpg?

Don't believe the sticker either. Consumer Reports did a story last year saying sticker mpg was way off. Some by 20% when compared to real world driving.
I have a massive truck and I get 17's on the hiway [sm=alcoholic.gif] sorry couldnt resist.

I also have a massive truck. . .tipping the scales around 7800#, I have a 6spd and 4.10's and get an overall MPG of a touch over 18, and if I stay at or under 60 I can push it to over 20mpg.

if you want better mileage get a real engine [sm=alcoholic.gif] just like steve, I couldnt resist.

[sm=pcwhack.gif]

Old 10-19-2006, 01:26 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ORIGINAL: Drew

I also have a massive truck. . .tipping the scales around 7800#, I have a 6spd and 4.10's and get an overall MPG of a touch over 18, and if I stay at or under 60 I can push it to over 20mpg.

if you want better mileage get a real engine [sm=alcoholic.gif] just like steve, I couldnt resist.

[sm=pcwhack.gif]
ahahahahaha... yeah diesel power! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 10-19-2006, 05:17 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

ORIGINAL: Drew

[sm=pcwhack.gif]
ahahahahaha... yeah diesel power! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
[sm=funnypostabove.gif] You two sure do like to pick on the poor gas burning Hemi owners don't ya [sm=boink3.gif]

Someday they will learn if you want power and good mpg you got to burn OIL [sm=gears.gif]

Old 10-19-2006, 06:44 PM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

ORIGINAL: motorhead426

Another comment on PowerWagon fuel economy... After reading that article four wheeler magazine I saw something interesting with the engine differences, read below...

The engine and transmission have gone through a few changes to make them more four-wheeling friendly. The shift points of the transmission have been moved further up the rev range, the drive-by-wire throttle pedal response has been softened, the fan's drive clutch engages at a slightly lower engine temperature and the engine idle speed has been bumped up 100 rpm to 750.

Thats a cut and paste from the end of the atricle. The shift points can directly affect mileage, as well as the lower engine temp, and raised idle speed. I just thought it was interesting.
I wondered about that articles comment about 750RPM idle for awhile now. My 2006 has 500RPM idle normally. (unless the AC is on- I think?) Maybe it's because I have California spec emissions tune?

Old 10-25-2006, 12:51 AM
Rgory
Rookie

I am picking my 06 PW up on Friday and have a long haul back to chicago so I am hoping the mileage is decent. As far as the drift I do know that there is a TSB out on the POWER WAGON'S tires for 06. If the truck drifts more than one half of a lane over 5 seconds while going 55 then I think the TSB could apply.

I will post pics when I get it home

Old 10-25-2006, 02:17 AM
Inspector62

Hey, not all of us diesel owners are picking on the gas guzzlers. Just because we can get 20 mpg on the hiway if we turn off the AC and don't go over 70mph is no reason to pick on them.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:19 AM
2006powerwagon

I'm having trouble locating the TSB site listing 2006 PW tires, can you help me locate or attach to your email? Thanks everyone for the info!

Old 10-25-2006, 10:26 AM
DCXgageman
Veteran

I wondered about that articles comment about 750RPM idle for awhile now. My 2006 has 500RPM idle normally. (unless the AC is on- I think?) Maybe it's because I have California spec emissions tune?
Mine is the same way so it isn't a CA thing. I am thinking that it is only in effect when in 4-lo, maybe I'll go play this weekend and check it out.

Hey diesel guys, what kind of winch and fully locking axles do you have and how much did they set ya back?[8D]

Sorry, I couldn't resist either.

Quick Reply: Awful mpg's for Power Wagon