3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

WHOS GOT THE BEST HEADERS!!!??!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:44 PM
deanj287
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHOS GOT THE BEST HEADERS!!!??!?

Looking at puuting on some headers for my 2003 1500 w/hemi. what brand have you guys run and how much did you pay...plus how pleased where you with the performance and sound!!

ill have an electric cut out right after the cat on my set up just want to know what is the best rought to go...

saw some cheapos on ebay for like 150 by a company called SSI and some pace setters for around 300

Lookin at the gibson log headers though!

plus how do you keep the bolts from coming back loose over time? i read many complaints of this...whats worked best so far?

Old 10-17-2006, 12:18 PM
GreyHemi
Default RE: WHOS GOT THE BEST HEADERS!!!??!?

I just put on the gibson headers on. I am not by any means impressed with it. No sound change or performance. I also payed out my *** for these things. I still have stock cats on though. I was really really disappointed in them

Old 10-17-2006, 02:23 PM
jcdc1

Bassani ceramic coated SS headers, they were FREE. I love em. They sound real good w/ my flowmaster

Old 10-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Stroker
Veteran

By the sound of it The Gibson log headers take on some type of characteristic of a log type manifold which tells me you don't want them. I've never heard of log headers though did you mean long? If that’s the case you would be on the right track but headers through a stock exhaust should make a big difference both in sound and performance so according to GreyHemi these are poorly designed. (Got a link to them?)

Two things you need to do to have good headers that don't leak. First you want to find a set with at least 5/16" flanges. Then after you install them you will want to take it for a brief drive to heat them up good and bring it back in. Now comes the fun part, with the headers still hot tighten them again. This with a combination of a good dead soft header gasket should give you a good long leak free life from your headers.

Now I have been unable to find them but if you can find a set of try-y headers then that would give you the best performance in a stock to mildly modified Hemi. Some after market heads and a cam then you might want something more but for most of our trucks try-ys would be the way to go.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:46 PM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Stroker

By the sound of it The Gibson log headers take on some type of characteristic of a log type manifold which tells me you don't want them. I've never heard of log headers though did you mean long?
Gibson LOG headers aren't headers. They are exhaust manifolds. I think they're just bored out a little more than stockers and have a nice polished looked. I don't know why anybody would buy them...unless your trying to dress up the engine bay. They might be good for 2-5 hp...not worth horseapples in my book.

Now as far as other headers are concerned, I ran Edelbrock mid-length headers into a high-flow cat and Borla car-back. The sound was amazing, would of sounded better if I took care of the exhaust leaks. I loved the sound and hp gains of the full exhaust. I paid about $400 for the headers, give or take.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:14 AM
deanj287
Captain

they ar e the gibson log headers....
seems that way as far as just snazyer looking than stock. but gibson claims some gains.[URL=http://www.gibsonexhaust.com/gp311sc.htmllink]

Date 10/17/2006 11:23:55 AM
Bassani ceramic coated SS headers, they were FREE. I love em. They sound real good w/ my flowmaster
howd you manage the FrEEBESS?!?

Old 10-18-2006, 04:15 AM
deanj287
Captain

sorr ybout the crappy link set up...http://www.gibsonexhaust.com/gp311sc.html

Old 10-18-2006, 12:24 PM
GreyHemi

ORIGINAL: Stroker

By the sound of it The Gibson log headers take on some type of characteristic of a log type manifold which tells me you don't want them. I've never heard of log headers though did you mean long? If that’s the case you would be on the right track but headers through a stock exhaust should make a big difference both in sound and performance so according to GreyHemi these are poorly designed. (Got a link to them?)

Two things you need to do to have good headers that don't leak. First you want to find a set with at least 5/16" flanges. Then after you install them you will want to take it for a brief drive to heat them up good and bring it back in. Now comes the fun part, with the headers still hot tighten them again. This with a combination of a good dead soft header gasket should give you a good long leak free life from your headers.

Now I have been unable to find them but if you can find a set of try-y headers then that would give you the best performance in a stock to mildly modified Hemi. Some after market heads and a cam then you might want something more but for most of our trucks try-ys would be the way to go.
They are called log headers.... I wish i would have known that these things are just for looks. I maybe noticed low end torque. Thats it

Old 10-18-2006, 01:35 PM
motorhead426
All Star

You would think that most headers would help the Hemi after looking at the size of the stock manifolds, but I've been reading the header posts on here, and no one seems to have any good opinions of headers on the Hemi. Even the Dynomaxx set up with the cats, doesn't seem to improve the Hemi much. Can the Hemi be tuned so well that headers don't help? This would be the first engine I've ever heard of that hasn't benefited from headers.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Stroker
Veteran

Man those things look like they would hurt performance. I couldn't imagine a more turbulant way of flowing exhaust. They do look nice though. I think I'll go with the Mopar headers but at $1300 a set I'll have to wait a little longer.

Quick Reply: WHOS GOT THE BEST HEADERS!!!??!?