3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

9 inch lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 9 inch lift

my mistake i thought the IFS was a new on 06 models at least for the 4wd. i knew the 2wds had em but for some reason thought the 4x4s were solid. oh well this is problly the only half ton truck ill ever own. my next truck im trying to decide between a 2500 hemi and a 2500 cummins. both will be QCSB 4x4. the hemi will be better in the mud but i like how easy it is to squeeze gobs of power and torque out of a diesel. and another factor is im pretty good with gas engines but know very little about diesel.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:20 AM
ramtradxb
Professional

I thought that too, but so little has gone wrong with the diesels that it hasn't been a problem - and we always have the guys here to help...

Old 10-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Phatboy
Professional

If you want to go with 9" of lift, the first thing I would do would be go out and get a 2500. I really like my 05 4x4 but anything more than a body lift is a huge headache. I have owned 3 4x4 Rams w/solid axles 95, 99, and 01 and this is my first IFS 4x4 Ram, I love the solid axle and I agree with the above poster about handling with the LA, it just doesnt 'lean' as much IMO.

With all the components that can fail on an FS setup I would be hard pressed to try justifying more than a couple of inches of lift on one. My experiences with IFS and lifting 4x4s has been mixed. I had a Nissan that I had a shop put a 4" TrailMaster lift on and no matter what I did, NISMO 'Racing' Torsion bars, new bushings, anything the front tires would not hold an alignment, when I hit the brakes it looked like this / \ from the front end. 92 Blazer (First year of the Full Size IFS Blazer Pre-Tahoe) Idler arms broke at an alarming rate. Of Course it was a POS Chevy so I should have known.

My 95, 99, and 01? Loved them.

www.phatboy.8k.com

There are some pics here, the 99 is on the front page, the pics of my 95 are before I went to the 5" Suspension lift, I only had 3" Rancho 'sport' and 3" body, running 38s. I ended up with 5" SuperLift and 3" body, ran 39.5 TSLs.

The 99 was a 5" Tuff Country (BAD) lift.

The 01 went back to my 'roots' with the Rancho Sport lift 35" Yoko Geoloander MT (the same ones that were on the 99)

I am planning on putting a 3" body on my 05, but I may just keep it stock, since I pull a camper, and buy me a 94-01 4x4 to mess with since their value is decreasing pretty quickly and they can be had pretty cheap. Plus they are a piece of cake to work on.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:16 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

You might also want to go check your local laws regarding lifts. I know for a fact that around here if you go too high ( over 6-8") in your suspension lift you can get a ticket and a hefty fine. Also I know that once you go over I believe 4" (?) you have to get some mud flaps too. Now there are deffinately ways around going to high. Ive seen a guy drivinng around town with a lifted chevy that has an 8" lift, 37" tires, and a 4" body lift with about 3' mud flaps. Ugly in my opinion but when you pull up next to him his exhaust pipe is basically in your side window. Also you deffinately will see some handling issues going that high so PLEASE do us all a favor and dont take corners as fast as what you would normally take them. Ive seen too many lifted trucks that are no where near the amount of lift you are going for laying on their side after taking a corner to fast. Ive had an F250 nearly tip on top of my girls car while making a left hand turn because he took the corner to fast and got up on 2 wheels. So if you do deside to go that high just watch yourself and your surroundings even more than what you normally would.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:05 AM
munjer2000

i dont think im going to lift it anymore. i paid extra cash for an extended warranty and i would hate for something to happen and have them laugh at me because my warranty is voided. i have about 40,000 more miles to put on until its no good. around here any lifted vehicle the head lights have to be 46 inches from the ground. im going to check into my dealer and see what i can all do without screwing anything up. thanks everyone for your help

Old 10-27-2006, 12:43 PM
vwomein
Professional

check out the pic in my signature. They had this thing at a traveling carnival by me. They
were giving rides in the mud for $6. I went for it. Pretty cool.

Quick Reply: 9 inch lift