3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear End Whine and Getting Louder

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Smitchell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Whine and Getting Louder

My wife's 2003 RAM 2500 (Hemi-w/ auto trans) rear end with limited slip differential (LSD) has been whining for the last 10K+ (mileage now 98K). I've had the alignment checked, changed the rear end fluid twice in the last 10K (including the LSD friction modifier). This is what I've noticed:

1. If you switch the tranny between OD on & off the noise does not change so I'm assuming it is not trans related.

2. When you turn to the right the noise goes away, when going straight or to the left the noise remains.

3. The noise amps up with the speed to the point that I can hear it on her cell when she's on the highway.

4. She got rear ended on the LH side. Some time after that the noise started.

This truck has been rock solid from the beginning and has never been to the dealer! I've done all maintenance at the recommended intervals.

Any thoughts as to what the problem is? Thanks for your help!

Old 10-21-2006, 01:53 AM
avengerdude27
Rookie
Default RE: Rear End Whine and Getting Louder

bad bearing on pinion gear

Old 10-21-2006, 05:25 AM
Smitchell

Any idea why the noise goes away when I turn to the right??

Old 10-21-2006, 10:06 PM
djr04
All Star

The fact that it goes away when you turn to the right makes me wonder if it isn't possibly related to the rear left wheel, like possible a wheel bearing? That would explain the increase in noise with speed. Not very sure if that is the cause, but that would give you another option to look at besides the rear diff. However if it is a wheel bearing you would want that to get fixed some time soon, as bad wheel bearing can lead to accidents.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:54 AM
crazedsal

whining or ticking are telltale signs that the rear end is bad

Old 10-23-2006, 11:29 AM
motorhead426
All Star

Either way it looks like your going to have to replace some kind of bearing in the rear axle, whichs means your going to have the axle apart. You might as well bufget for a complete rebuild when your in there. It's going to be cheaper to rebuild the whole axle when its half way apart, vs. taking it apart twice. Or worse, having it fail while your on the road. Then you get to pay the tow trucker too!

Old 10-23-2006, 03:01 PM
sig
Professional

Maybe its not the rear end.Check up front.If it stops when you turn right,check your power steering fluid.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:06 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the noise started just after the rear end accident, it sounds like one of the bearings.

Either at the end of the axles or one of the pumkin bearings in the rear. I doubt its a pinion bearing because I don't think turnin would make a difference if it was.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:12 PM
kharding20
Professional

Pinion Bearing... had the same thing going on with a truck, even the right turning deal and we are putting a new rear end in it. The bearing finally failed, came apart and made a mess of the diff. Get it checked out becuase if it is the bearing and it does what mine did, get your check book ready.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:32 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likely it is a bad side bearing in the diff, it wouldnt deffinitly be a pinion bearing but dont matter really, cuz it'll all be replaced. but yea, like kharding20 said, get ur check book ready. because it certainly will not be cheap. they'll have to do a full rebuild, all new bearings, new LSD clutches, and the most expensive part...labor good luck man

Quick Reply: Rear End Whine and Getting Louder