3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got smoke by a Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 07:20 PM
HemiBuell
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got smoke by a Duramax

Yup, it was ugly. Not even close. I knew the diesels were fast but that truck was moving. The Hemi was no match for the Duramax at all. Started at a stop light along a two lane road. It was a beat up 2500 HD work truck. Ladder racks and toolbox. I even had the inside track around a corner.

I'm thinking he didn't have a stock motor. He was blowing a lot of black smoke, more than a stock truck would.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:00 PM
motorider228
Champion
Default RE: Got smoke by a Duramax

yeah he might have had work done. what are you driving? RC? QC? 4X4? 4X2? a slightly modded diesel will eat our hemi's.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:44 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

a duramax may be able to smoke a hemi, but there not built for racing but towing and hauling, besides, we all know that the cummings is a better engine then te duramax

Old 10-22-2006, 10:39 PM
HemiBuell
Captain

QC 4x4 Hemi

Old 10-23-2006, 02:04 AM
HillBillyRomeo

With all of the different chips/tuners available for diesels, it takes very little to get them cranked up to 600HP and 800ft/lbs of torque. Talk about the ultimate "sleeper".

Old 10-23-2006, 03:58 AM
RUNOVRYOU
Rookie

stop light to stop light, the hemi's can take the duramax and the power strokes (stock motors, no chips) - with some ease at that. the smokers don't get moving till the turbo has a chance to spool up, then they're gonna move. that's what i've seen anyway

Old 10-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Phatboy
Professional

If it was billowing black smoke chances are he was running propane. On a diesel it is like nitrous. I have seen a 4-door 4x4 duramax smoke a lightening at the track. He smoked everything literally. He was running in the 11-12 range all night.

The upside was that there were no mosquitos at the track that night......

Im not sure if it is as bad for the motor as nitrous is, but he ran it all night. He had a smally cylinder in the back of his truck, not like a grill tank, but more like a torpedo. He may have also had a chip, but I know he was running propane,

oh the lightening he smoked was a buddy of mine. LOL. Yea, I ragged him all night about getting beat by a work truck.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:18 AM
sneaky
Veteran

I'm with everyone else. If the truck was blowing smoke (literally) he has had a few things done to the motor. I was going home the other morning and came up on a Chevy diesel and he took off in a cloud of black smoke. Of course I wasn't putting my foot in it, at least thats what I told myself to make...uhmm...myself feel better

Old 10-23-2006, 01:04 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

[It was a beat up 2500 HD work truck. Ladder racks and toolbox. I even had the inside track around a corner.quote][/quote]

If that was the case then Im really doubting it was a modified truck. Most beat up work trucks like you just described are not chipped or have any aftermarket work done to them because most companies would not allow their trucks to be modified in anyway due to insurance purposes. It is hard to tell though in most cases whether or not the truck is a company vehicle or not but more than likely it was. Also just because it was blowing black smoke doesn't mean that the guy automatically had a modified truck. He even said it him self that it was a beat up work truck. Now I dont know about you guys but most beat up work trucks I've seen have been ran almost to the breaking point almost every day since the time the truck left whatever lot it was on. More than likely the engine wasn't running right or as efficiently as it would have been new and probably is severly lacking maintainance as well which will also cause it to blow black smoke everywhere.

Personally I've never come up to a 2500 HD yet. I've completely smoked a Powerstroke though and I wont even attempt to try a Cummings. I guess Im gonna have to go looking around for one now....... In any case though the next truck I'm buyin is going to have the Cummings in it. As stated before, add a chip and exhaust and it will crank up the HP well above what the hemi can produce without any seriouse modifications. Plus if some little ricer pulls up next to you all you gotta do is floor it and black them out with a cloud of exhaust.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was a stock Duramax you should have taken him. It must of had alot of work. Stock for stock the Hemi will beat all diesel trucks.

Quick Reply: Got smoke by a Duramax