3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lowering 06 ram and ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 11:30 PM
billgear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering 06 ram and ride quality

Hello,

I'm in the process of researching lowering of a 06 Dodge Ram Quad Cab. My father just got one and he is finding it a bit on the high side. He is in his 80's, so ride quality is important (he wants it to look cool also). We are thinking about trying one of the rear shackle kit's first. Do the shocks need to be addressed when lowering, what is a good shock to consider. How about cutting away the stock bumpstop? Any idea' would be appreciated. He jsut needs to be able to get in and out a bit easier and also the rear bed area is prety high also. I will be doing the work and have experience, so don't hold back on any tech that you have

Oh, it's a 06 RAM QC Hemi, big Horn with the Factory 20" wheels.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 10-23-2006, 11:52 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star
Default RE: lowering 06 ram and ride quality

have you considered axel over leaf spring for the rear.....dont know how good ride will be on that though

Old 10-24-2006, 06:53 AM
sneaky
Veteran

Don't cut anything. That is insane when lowering any vehicle. If you want to lower the truck go with a kit from either Ground Force, Eibach or Belltech. I myself would go with Belltech.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:05 PM
chefred112
All Star

...a 2/4 drop is what you should do...a shackle may level it but soon you'll feel it's not enough... I used drop spindles up front with a flip kit rear, changed to nitro active shocks with air-assist bags...truck drives like a sports car...ride is firm, smooth and confident...

Old 10-25-2006, 09:50 PM
damquick1
Veteran

Air bag system would be the way to go, then when he's cruizin at highway speeds he could bring it up to factory height, and then slam it when he needs in or out and to load the bed/box. Personally I think it would be expensive, but oh so worth it.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:52 AM
billgear

Thanks for the posts. I'm most concerned with messing up the ride quality, this is for my father as I've said. He like a smooth non-jarring ride. He does tow a 22 foot boat on occasion and would like to be able to continue towing and or haul heavy loads. I'm thinking the 2/4" lowering with some air bags for towing or haulling ( I guess an onboard compressor would be cool). So what is better lowering leaf springs or flip kit?, who makes the best shocks for ride quality. On the front, do I want the spindles or or would new coild be good enough. How hard is it to swap coils on a 06 ram. Like i said, I'll be doing the work for Dad, so any feedback what it takes to do the installs (links to how to webste, ect..) would be awesome. Any company that I could call to get the skinny on all this stuff. Thanks in advance!!

BillGear

Old 10-26-2006, 08:17 PM
damquick1
Veteran

check out http://www.ridetech.com/index.asp they have som really kewl bolt on applications at Great prices.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:02 AM
GIRam
Rookie

Wht about sem nerf bars, steps, or something like that.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:05 AM
billgear

He has some running boards and that helps. The rear cargo bed is a bit to high, so getting it down will help getting cargo loaded.
I measured the truck, it is 4 inches higher then my 97 ram.

Quick Reply: lowering 06 ram and ride quality