3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dogs in the bed

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006 | 06:19 PM
MOLTENRAM
Default Dogs in the bed

What's the best/easiest way to do this safely? Is it legal to have them walking freely in the back? I realize this isn't safe but I live close to a park and would be fairly safe and convenient. With all the animal rights/cruelty laws, it's hard to keep up.

And what about for highways? Do any of you do this? I haven't, mostly because I'm not sure what one of my dogs might do. He's a little too curious. lol

Old 11-02-2006 | 06:35 PM
motorhead426
All Star
Default RE: Dogs in the bed

The first couple of options that I can think of would either get a cap for the bed, or get a dog box that bolts to the bed. A lot of guys that I know who hunt have these dog boxes and it seems to work good for them. Try a google search and see what you find.

Old 11-02-2006 | 06:54 PM
motorider228
Champion

A few years ago we were moving and my dad was driving his truck full of stuff and on the trailer were our dogs in their cages. We have the normal at home hard plastic kennels with the metal gate. Well one of our huskies managed to break the cage and jump out onto I-50 while my dad was traveling at 65 miles per hour. She was fortunate enough to not get hit by a car and she lived with no broken bones. However, she landed in the sitting position and slid down the freeway like that and her butt hole and all the pads on her feet were ground down really badly. Point of the story, make sure to get a strong cage or re-inforce your current one.

Old 11-02-2006 | 07:22 PM
Masonman

I put a I bolt in the center of the top of the bed just under the window.
I can Leash him to it.
Keep the leash short enough that he can't jump over the side edges of the bed.

Old 11-02-2006 | 07:47 PM
dtharp

ORIGINAL: Masonman

I put a I bolt in the center of the top of the bed just under the window.
I can Leash him to it.
Keep the leash short enough that he can't jump over the side edges of the bed.
I had thought of the same thing, but worry about having the dog leashed if an accident were to happen. Mine is still in his puppy stages and to scared to jump in the cab though. So I think it will be a while before I convince him to jump into the bed. He's about 80 lbs so I don't want to be picking him up everytime I want him in or out of the bed either. Oh well, he seems content in the floorboard for now.

Old 11-02-2006 | 07:49 PM
prerunner
Captain

I believe it is legal as long as the leash is short enuf to keep the dog from jumping over the side. So if the leash only allowed his nose to hit the bed railing, you should be ok.

Old 11-02-2006 | 08:38 PM
kharding20
Professional

Dont do it in Wyoming. Im pretty sure thats a no no here. I think you can get ticketed for it. Personally I wouldnt do it with my dog, but if you are comfortable with it go ahead and put him in the back, as long as you keep the the truck rubberside down you should be alright if you tie him down.

Old 11-02-2006 | 08:49 PM
damquick1
Veteran

Sounds to me like a "GREAT" reason to buy a new Quad Cab

Old 11-02-2006 | 09:12 PM
kenihemi
All Star

Round these parts, trained huntin dogs are in the back of trucks with hard caps on the bed and in boxes. Those pooches are worth too much to take a chance.

Specially bird dogs.

Old 11-02-2006 | 09:28 PM
redram5.9

All that comes to mind is National Lampoons Vacation

Quick Reply: Dogs in the bed