3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing Factory Speakers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:09 PM
BgBluRam
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Factory Speakers!

Hello all, I am thinking about putting some aftermarket speakers in my truck, front and rear doors only. I have heard that in the front you can fit a 6x9 and the rear is a 5.25 I believe.. What are some good speakers out there? Will I have to get a new head unit as well? And last but not least, will I have to rewire all the speakers, or is the factory wiring good enough. I plan on adding an amp and sub later on, but just want some new speakers for now. TIA

Old 11-17-2006, 05:14 PM
outbox
Default RE: Replacing Factory Speakers!

I put these in mine. They sound good w/ the factory system. Changed to a pioneer and they are even better.
POLK 6x9s

Old 11-17-2006, 05:19 PM
LoFlyer
Professional

If you want to keep your factory head unit then you'll need speakers that take low power. Head unit puts out about 14 watts RMS so you want speakers with max rating of 30-35 watts. Get some with high sensitivity (efficiency), greater than 90 db. You'll need a speaker wiring harness adapter to make this easy and avoid cutting wires. No need to rewire the speakers though. I recommend getting an amp but this will definitely improve your sound. Crutchfield is a great place to start. Pioneer has some inexpensive speakers that sound good with low power. Back speakers are actually 6.5.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:53 PM
allmine
Rookie

I think a re-wire is a smart thing to do if youre adding a sub + amp (in which case you will certinally want a new QUALITY deck with sub controls..etc)
check this thread out

https://dodgeforum.com/m_618703/tm.htm

Old 11-28-2006, 04:03 AM
rumble bee ram

there are many things most do not know about speakers, if you are keeping factory llow power radio you need speakers with a very high db rating 92 or above, 100 is the max. this is a speakers sensitivity meaning how loud per watt applied, these generely handle less watts. if you are adding an amp then higher power speakers usually have a lower db rating 85 to 90, this is okay because you are putting a 50 or more watts into it, and this will give you the most powerful sound, on ebay right now i just got new close out MB QUART 6.5" component sts for $80 , usually these are $275. but these need a lot of power to have any power to the aound, in youe truck a lower power rated speaker would sound louder.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:08 AM
Zeppelinrocks
Veteran

i just got a whole system put in, i recommend infinity kapa's if you can afford them, they sound great. And for subs if you are putting them underneath your back seat i recommend Pioneer TS-SW2541D 10" 4-ohm shallow subwoofer with a custom box.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:02 PM
RamFreak
Veteran

Can you use the factory head unit with a amp? I am thinking about a amp, subs and some new speakers. Then next summer finish it off with a new head unit.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:45 PM
nash1970
Professional

I have the same truck as you and I replaced my speakers and head unit and I'm waiting on the parts for the sub install . Be very carefull of the 6X9's you get, the front door openings are slightly smaller than 6X9 I reconmend you take the door panels off then go the stereo shop and find what fits and sounds best . I bought boston LS95's and they barely fit behind the door panels .

Old 11-28-2006, 03:51 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

ORIGINAL:
POLK 6x9s
THOSE WERE THE SPEAKERS I WAS LOOKING AT TOO. LOL. AT CRUTCHFIELD. THERE ARE SOME GOOD MB QUARTZ'S OUT THERE TOO. I TALKED TO MY INSTALLER ABOUT DOOR SPEAKERS, HE SAID THE BEST WAY TO GO IS MB QUARTZ AND POLK. THOSE ARE PRICEY, BUT GOOD. HEY, ON CRUTCHFIELD.COM, THERE ARE SOME REALLY NICE INFINITY'S YOU CAN GET TOO.

Edit:
FOR SUBWOOFERS, I HAVE 2 INFINITY KAPPA PERFECT 10.1's. THOSE ARE AMAZING SUBS. YOU CAN GET 2 FOR 1 AT CRUTCHFIELD.COM 2 10.1'S FOR, NOW, 159.99 OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. I PAID 179.99 FOR MY 2 10.1's. YOU CAN HEAR THOSE SUBS FROM SO FAR AWAY IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY. THEY ARE 350wRMS!! THAT IS AMAZING FOR A 10in. SUBWOOFER. WELL, THATSJUST MY THINKING. I HOPE YOU CAN FIND WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR BUD.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:18 PM
RamFreak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: nash1970

I have the same truck as you and I replaced my speakers and head unit and I'm waiting on the parts for the sub install . Be very carefull of the 6X9's you get, the front door openings are slightly smaller than 6X9 I reconmend you take the door panels off then go the stereo shop and find what fits and sounds best . I bought boston LS95's and they barely fit behind the door panels .
Thanks for the heads up Nash.

Quick Reply: Replacing Factory Speakers!