3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got a question about Diesel Rams?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 01:29 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got a question about Diesel Rams?

I was wondering about the Diesel Rams. Do they have any problems starting in extreme cold weather? I remember with the older diesel trucks, they needed to be primed first before they would start, and if i'm not mistaken if it was really cold out, you had to plug them into a electrical outlet.
One more thing, can you use a remote start with a diesel truck?

Old 11-24-2006, 01:33 AM
claydawg
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got a question about Diesel Rams?

I'm not sure about the remote starter, but my neighbor has a 2500 QC w/the Cummins and he has no trouble firing his up on cold mornings. I don't think I've seen him hook up the block heater at all...but I've only lived here a few months and it hasn't gotten terribly cold yet.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

The new diesels don't have much of a problem starting in cold weather. i seen a 2005 duramax start everyday last winter and it gets -40C out here. its probably not good for your truck if you don't plug it in ever. but now you don't even have to wait for glow plugs to warm up as soon as you turn the key they light flashes on and off pretty quick. thats what the duramax is like anyway. and yes you can get a remote starter on them it costs a little extra to install it. you can also get ones to start your vehicle for 10 minutes every couple ours incase its really cold out and you don't think it will start in the morning.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:05 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can get remote startes, if you have a automatic trans. How well you maintain your D. engine is important, oil, flue fiters, coolant filters and filters for the filters that connect to the filters are vital.

Gas componies change from summer, spring, winter and fall formulas for D. Flue. If you park, or store your truck with a summer mixture, it's not going to be eager to fire up in the -30 range.

I think the new cummons is advertised to start with out being pluged in the -30C range and thier are a lot of gas engines that don't start when it gets cold.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:35 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Interesting........So does that mean that Diesel vehicles have more upkeep than a gas engine? And what are Flues?
Are you saying that Diesel engines have all these filters? ( Flue Filter; coolant filter; filters that connect to the filters)???

Old 12-02-2006, 09:08 AM
performanceag
Rookie

he meant fuel filter. this is a main item to watch. when it starts plugging, you can usually tell the loss of performance. In the winter, if you don't have the winter blend fuel the fuel filter will most likely be the first thing to jel up.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:18 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Oh, ok. What about the Coolant filter, is there such an item?

Old 12-02-2006, 02:17 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

There is no coolant filter on a Cummins engine. I think there is less up keep on a diesel engine then you have on your 4.7L. I enjoy them because it has no sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, no coil nor all of the EPA smog crap all gas engines have.

JMHO

Old 12-02-2006, 03:08 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

I see you have the Cummins Turbo Diesel. Tell me, in extreme cold weather, does your vehicle start like a typical gas vehicle?
And by that i mean, do you need to prime it first? do you have to plug it in to a electrical outlet?
Also, do you have the Remote start on your vehicle?

Old 12-02-2006, 04:02 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

I've got the Cummins. You dont HAVE to plug it in until about -20. Some people plug it in when it get to the teens, just for quicker start up time. Most people plug it in about 2 hours before they leave,or put it on a timer to turn on 2 hours before they normally leave. If you just start the engine in cold weather then you will probably want the high idler activated and just let it set for about 15-20 minutes for everything to get warmed up and flowing properly. If you start your diesel in to cold of weather then it will make some weird noises for a little while until it warms up. By "priming" do you mean waiting to start. When you turn the key there is a simble that means wait for the heater grid to warm up. The plugs are not that expensive, about 12 bucks, and according to some people it cost around 15 cents to plug in the truck for 2 hours. Btw, once the truck has been heated for about 2 hours is doesnt get any warmer. So plugging it in all night doesnt make any difference, except in your electric bill.

Quick Reply: Got a question about Diesel Rams?