3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

6.1 Cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 01:26 AM
eds2003ram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 6.1 Cam swap

helopilot, I am about to go into my 03 hemi and swap the cam with a 6.1l and will replace the valve springs with the 6.1 exhaust springs. What was the site you went to for install instructions? And why did you change the pushrods ? Which pushrods do you recomend and where did you get them? I was thinking about removing the heads to make life easy. Did you do the head removal when you did your swap? Sorry about all the questions , just need some advice before I go in.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:43 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: helopilot

You are right Nick, if I would of had enough money I would have got the Manley stuff, but we are not all rich like you.

LOL... No, not rich at all... I just save up untill I can afford the better parts, I also know the importance of the parts and I know how going cheap can cost me more money in the end... its either spend a little today and pay ALLOT more tomorrow OR Pay a little more today and be done with it. I wasnt trying to say you dont know what your talking about. nor was I trying to disagree with you. Its difficult to get points accross over the forums and I guess you have taken my points the wrong way... sorry!

I would like to here more about your findings... and where your resorces came from.... If the 6.1L cam springs are in fact a good replacment part then that will be good information to have... I still have my doubts unless the 6.1L springs are an actual aftermarket spring... then that would make since.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-27-2006, 02:55 AM
AIR RAM
All Star

ORIGINAL: eds2003ram

helopilot, I am about to go into my 03 hemi and swap the cam with a 6.1l and will replace the valve springs with the 6.1 exhaust springs. What was the site you went to for install instructions? And why did you change the pushrods ? Which pushrods do you recomend and where did you get them? I was thinking about removing the heads to make life easy. Did you do the head removal when you did your swap? Sorry about all the questions , just need some advice before I go in.
The stock pushrods are a 3 peice rod and are inconsistant in length... By STEPPING UP to an aftermarket pushrod you gain valvetrain stability, they all weigh the same and there all stiffer and your exhaust pushrods the equl length & the Intake pushrods are equal length. The aftermarket pushrods are one peice design have less FLEX and are lighter than the stock pushrods which when added up with lighter springs and retainers gives you again better valve control.

And DONT add the 6.1L pushrods to your 5.7L.... they are too long! The only time you would use 6.1L pushrods is if you had the 6.1L heads.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-27-2006, 03:10 AM
AIR RAM
All Star

ORIGINAL: deanj287

no body has any part numbers?

What part numbers are you looking for?

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-27-2006, 02:09 PM
deanj287
Captain

the cam part number. ive read alot of post about the difference between the ac and ab cams and it seems like its a toss up as one posts claims to have measured it and says the ac is a little more aggresive and another claims they are the same.

any input?

Old 11-27-2006, 07:21 PM
helopilot
Veteran

About the only ones you will find nowadays are the AC ones. I believe AirRam sells them for a very very good price!!

Old 11-28-2006, 03:01 AM
eds2003ram
Professional

hey helopilot, I got the explanation about the pushrods but need your input on where you got the install instuctions and where you purchased the manley pushrods.
I just can't get why dodge decides to go with a three piece pushrod instead of a solid rod.
I would also like to know if you guys removed the heads to replce the springs or changed them with the heads on the engine?
Which way is the easest way to replace them?

Old 11-28-2006, 04:18 AM
Hurycne

I think a new cam is in my future!

Old 11-28-2006, 04:49 AM
deanj287
Captain

airam has everything you need.
i talked to him for bout half an hour earlier today and he has his stuff down.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:51 AM
helopilot
Veteran

The write-up for the install is here:

http://hemitruckclub.com/cam.htm

I left my heads on to replace the springs, but it a lot easier to do them with the heads off from my understanding.

Just make sure you do a lot of research before tackling this yourself for all of the tips and tricks as well as cautions.

Good luck!!

I bought my pushrods from here:

http://www.moesperformance.com/

I don't know whether AirRam carries them or not.

Quick Reply: 6.1 Cam swap