3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HOW to Reset the Computer

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:20 PM
BgBluRam
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW to Reset the Computer

The Title says it all.. It's a 2003 4.7L QC ... I tried disconnecting the negative terminal for an hour, but all of my preset radio stations were still saved, so I dont think it worked... Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:14 AM
VinnieTheFish
Default RE: HOW to Reset the Computer

I just did this the other day on my 06 but I think I can walk you through it.

1. On the fuse panel locate the fuse for the PCM
2. Pull the fuse (on 06 it's #31)
3. in the cab plug in the seat belt
4. Put the key in the ignition and turn as though you are starting the car (car will not start)
5. Hold the key in the engine start position until you hear 2 chimes (if you don't hold the ignition key you will only hear one chime)
6. Turn the key to the off position and remove the key
7. Replace the fuse for the PCM in the original location
8. Verify that the car can turn over as normal.

That's it.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:46 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

All you have to do is turn it to "run" and not hold it on start on earlier 3rd Gens, and it's fuse #19 I believe

Old 11-29-2006, 10:37 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL... I tried that on my 2002 and the truck still starts with the #23 fuse removed!

I had to remove the started solenoid and the #23 fuse It actually worked without starting. I did get 2 dings with the #23 fuse.... I will have to try it with the #19 fuse.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-30-2006, 12:33 AM
cbrewer954
Professional

Removing the neg terminal should have done it. The radio stations stay programmed. I had a stupid check engine light on a week ago and pulled the neg terminal for about 20 minutes. Light is gone but radio stations stayed.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:08 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cbrewer954

Removing the neg terminal should have done it. The radio stations stay programmed. I had a stupid check engine light on a week ago and pulled the neg terminal for about 20 minutes. Light is gone but radio stations stayed.
Actually I have been re-setting my PCM very similar to the way you do it but I have always suggested that after you remove the negative battery terminal you should put the key in the ignition and TURN/HOLD it to the START position for 15-20 seconds and the release the key and leave in the ON position for 15-20 minutes.

I have found this to work best and I NEVER lost my radio station presets either. I just thought I would try to reset it using the FUSE reset technique and I'm not sure what I think of it yet. But I do know removing the negative battery term DOES reset your PCM at least most of it. I have hooked it up to my OBDII scanner and it indicates that ALL the adaptive and codes are in fact removed using the battery technique.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-30-2006, 09:41 AM
toxdoc
Veteran

I have enjoyed reading all of the reset options posted thus far; please clarify another point for me - I'm using a SC - 3815 set to the performance mode - so does that mean you must reset to stock specs BEFORE removing the negative battery cable or does the Superchips compensate for the change? What if your battery just goes dead for some reason and someone unknowingly replaces the battery while the Superchip 3815 is set in a mode other than stock? Are you just 'SOL' and does the 3815 become inoperative?
THANKS***

Old 11-30-2006, 02:27 PM
djr04
All Star

No need to return your superchips to stock before resetting the pcm/tcm. I just reset my 06 last week by pulling the fuse and holding the key on start for 2 dings. Today I changed from 91 performance to 87 octane (need the fuel mileage for winter). So since it changed fine, that tells me the reset has no effect on the superchips tune.

Quick Reply: HOW to Reset the Computer