3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust resonator question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 PM
lindengauthier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help anyone!

so taking out the resonator does it make it noticably louder? and also does it make it louder if u put the tail pipe back on or just leave it off?

Old 05-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by New2Durango
My friend just got 2 AT3030s and a custom x-pipe made but hasn't hd them put on yet. If his soundsnbetter than my 2 Super 40s Imma be pissed....LOL

Get ready to be pissed. Those AT3030's sound awesome

Old 05-12-2013, 01:49 AM
ramjamhemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The resonator(s) are there to counteract drone from the exhaust system. Drone is where the sound in the exhaust hits a frequency where it is actually travels through the frame/sheet metal of the truck and you will hear/feel it in the cab of the truck. Having the entire cab of the truck vibrate due to the exhaust is not enjoyable. If you are lucky, the drone comes on at an rpm that you don't stay at very long. If that happens, you might be able to tolerate the droning and you can enjoy the louder exhaust sound. If your unlucky, the truck will drone at cruising speed and you will have the exhaust vibrate the cab at that rpm. I had a '70 Camaro that had a drone in the mid 2000 rpm range and also at idle. Sitting at a stop light with the windows up got really old quick. It was so bad that I did not like driving the car when I was sick, as I just could not handle the vibration. It was not a daily driver, and the exhaust sound was pretty awesome with headers and Flowmaster mufflers, so I just lived with it.

The older I get, the less I can tolerate droning. I have an AT3030 on the RAM and I wish it was a bit louder, but I'm not interested in dealing with the drone so it still has the resonator.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:12 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2
Get ready to be pissed. Those AT3030's sound awesome
I'm guessing he has already found out since he posted that 7 yrs ago

Quick Reply: Exhaust resonator question