3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust resonator question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:23 PM
qdawg76
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust resonator question

I am just curious what exactly does the exhaust resonator do and is it needed? I am curious because I had a Flowmaster 40 series muffler put on and they installed it and left the resonator on, is there a reason for this thing and will I gain or lose anything if I have it removed?

Thanks

Old 11-28-2006, 02:43 PM
RamFreak
Veteran
Default RE: Exhaust resonator question

The resonator helps keep noise down, you do not need it at all. Removing the resonator will give you a hair more power "At least it seemed to for me" and a louder exhaust.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:13 PM
nathanp
Captain

chop that thing outta there, it just makes it quieter, doesnt even do anythign for emisions cause its a straight through muffler pretty much. Doubt u will notice a difference in power, worse fuel economy cause yoru gonna be stomping on it moer [8D] haha

Old 11-28-2006, 03:23 PM
RamFreak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: nathanp

chop that thing outta there, it just makes it quieter, doesnt even do anythign for emisions cause its a straight through muffler pretty much. Doubt u will notice a difference in power, worse fuel economy cause yoru gonna be stomping on it moer [8D] haha
lol thats for sure, the better it sounds the worse you mpg. It really seems to have a little more snap down low in the RPM's without the resonator, but either way it will sound soooooooooo much better.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:44 PM
05_FL_RAM
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 06HemiTRX4

lol thats for sure, the better it sounds the worse you mpg. It really seems to have a little more snap down low in the RPM's without the resonator, but either way it will sound soooooooooo much better.
you have the MDS I presume?
I saw your mod list and that is the same muffler / tip combo I wanted to get for my father's 06 - 1500.

Trouble is that nobody has them installed around here...so it's hard to sell him on on it.

My 05 has a rumble to it that his does not... not sure why, but I like it.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 PM
motorider228
Champion

06hemitrx4. I just ordered an AT3030 and am in need of some help from a fellow 06 guy with the at3030, did you take both resonators off or just one? if just one, which one was it? the one in front or behind the muffler? how was it mounted? where did you get it done? can you post some pictures of the entire setup please? I really need to get some ideas.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:56 PM
RamFreak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: motorider228

06hemitrx4. I just ordered an AT3030 and am in need of some help from a fellow 06 guy with the at3030, did you take both resonators off or just one? if just one, which one was it? the one in front or behind the muffler? how was it mounted? where did you get it done? can you post some pictures of the entire setup please? I really need to get some ideas.
First of all I have to say that it is an awesome sounding muffler, you will love it. I had the rear resonator removed about a month after I had the AT3030 installed, I would def remove at least the rear resonator. I had mine installed at Midas, I would post some pictures if I had a digital camera.
Oh btw, the Aero Turbine tip is kinda pricey but it is really nice. just a FYI if you were looking.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:05 PM
motorider228
Champion

i'll just keep pming you so we don't jack the thread.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:12 PM
RamFreak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 05_FL_RAM

ORIGINAL: 06HemiTRX4

you have the MDS I presume?
I saw your mod list and that is the same muffler / tip combo I wanted to get for my father's 06 - 1500.

Trouble is that nobody has them installed around here...so it's hard to sell him on on it.

My 05 has a rumble to it that his does not... not sure why, but I like it.
I do have the MDS, when MDS kicks in it really does not sound to bad imo. You can order direct from Aero Turbine and I know some of the Dodge Forum sponsors carry AT3030's as well.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:23 PM
motorider228
Champion

I found my at3030 muffler for $157 shipped to my door. I don't want to advertise the place on here though as they are not a sponsor so pm me if you want the site.

Quick Reply: Exhaust resonator question