3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question about Cold Air Intakes and Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:23 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about Cold Air Intakes and Engines?

Look, I'm thinking about purchasing, and installing a Cold Air Intake system. but, I'm a little apprehensive.
So, maybe you, who have installed them, can answer a few questions for me. Now, these Cold Air Intake Filters have nothing protecting them from the elements. So what happens when you're driving, and it's pouring down raining, or snowing like crazy? Does this water end up inside the engine?

Old 11-30-2006, 01:31 AM
cbrewer954
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about Cold Air Intakes and Engines?

I have an AEM and haven't experienced any water intake. My filter sits up high in the compartment but has a nice tunnel of fresh air coming up from in front of the wheel well. I don't think it's likely that any water will make it up there. I haven't had the chance to play in mud yet, so we'll see what happens then. from the looks of it, it should be fine.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:36 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Cbrewer954, why did you choose AEM as opposed to Fram, or one of the others?

Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 AM
cbrewer954
Professional

A big issue was that it was smog approved for California. I mostly just liked the entire setup. They have the dry-flow filter which doesn't require any oiling of it. No big mess. It sounds great, truck is a bit more peppy, and mpg went up a bit. I'm pleased with it.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:56 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

CBrewer954, I went to the AEM website, and i saw that they had some nice CAI's. Now, did you buy your directly from them? or did you go to parts store like, PeP Boys, Advance Auto?
And how much did it cost you? Did you install it yourself, or did you have someone install it for you?

Old 11-30-2006, 12:02 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

My signature used to say "2005 Dodge 1500 with 4.56 gears and some cheesy CAI from Ebay". Now it doesn't. I took mine off because unless you buy a TRUE CAI - Volant or AirRam - you're wasting your money. The stock box pulls as much air if not more and it draws from a good location, speaking for my 2005 4.7 anyway. Now, I adapted that same cheesy Ebay CAI to my Jeep and it made a difference there but then it pulls way more air than the stock box did. I took it off my Dodge because frankly I got tired of the loud vacuum cleaner sound everytime I cranked the truck. On my Z-28 a K&N CAI made a small, seat-of-the-pants noticable difference but then that is a sports car.
As far as the elements, where the filters sit, they are protected.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:09 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Its all based on where the filter is. Some keep the filter high in the engine compartment and others drop it down the wheel well to give you what they claim is a little more power. Just do your research land look at how its setup and you should be fine. Personally I'm going with the AFE High Breather.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:15 PM
cbrewer954
Professional

I got mine directly from AEM for around $400. I love it. And I installed it myself. Took me a couple of hours due to interruptions from the two kids. Probably could have done it in an hour or so.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:49 PM
BgBluRam
Captain

I have the K&N 77 Series, it is ina sealed box in the engine bay to keep the outside conditions OUTSIDE! lol

Old 11-30-2006, 09:23 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Amazing........Same truck, Many different drivers, and several different opinions on the same topic.
Anyone know where i can go for some research on this topic? Because it appears that i will have to do some real good research on this topic before i make my purchase....And i am hoping to hear more comments on the subject.

Quick Reply: Question about Cold Air Intakes and Engines?