3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 07:34 AM
jpgilbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Control

I need to get a trailer brake control for my 04 QC. Anybody have any reccomendations? I'm looking for both positive and negative feedback on different models. Thanks

Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
stump_breaker
Captain
Default RE: Brake Control

I had a real expensive one in a work truck - Reese I think - that worked great. The one I have now I bought at Autozone for something like $60 and it works just as good. Only thing I don't like is it has a yellow light that stays on all the time, even when the truck is off. Other than that, It stops my camper just fine. The light goes green when the box is active and will slighty change in intensity as it steps the brakes. Never had one do that before. It makes setting the trailerbrakesa lot easier.
Also, if you hook up your 7-pin and a wire is not right somewhere, the light will change red letting you know you have something wrong in the wiring.
It's compact and fits nicelyunder the dash right above my right knee/leg.
I'm not recommending it per say but for the price, it's a good little box.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:18 AM
jpgilbo

What brand is the one from autozone? Also, when you install it, does it have to be level or just mount anywhere? Thanks for the info.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:12 AM
sumncguy
Veteran

As I said many times before I tow a 27' travel trailer. Had the Reese ... lots of jerking around and not smooth on stops. Ca Ca compared to the Prodigy. In addition the Reese is statically ajusted with a rheostat type switch, the Prodigy is self adjusting. Sweet !!

Old 01-07-2007, 05:27 AM
72rdstr

I have a couple of Tekonshas (one in a Honda and one in the Ram) and they work great. Good adjustability and very smooth.
Had the Voyager model in a Ford Ranger and was pulling a Jayco Baja 10Y with my xr650r up some very rough 4x4 trails and it gave me very good control.

http://www.tekonsha.com/index.html

Old 01-07-2007, 12:25 PM
trk69262

I have an '02 Ram and installed a Prodigy from Tekonsha. I also picked up a factory wiring harness from my local parts store for around $25. Easiest installation ever. Just mounted the controller under the dash and plugged the wire harness into the trucks factory connection located under the dash above thee-brake. A 30 minute install and the brake controller works great. Nice and smooth braking action. Never had any problems with it.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:45 AM
Palm
Professional

I do a lot of towing and having used other brands, I have found the Prodigy to be far superior to the others. Much smoother and easier control. Adjust it once and as long as your load is about the same, never have to mess with it again.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:39 AM
jpgilbo

Thanks guys. I just ordered the prodigy.

Quick Reply: Brake Control