3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ride Quality on the FWY

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:58 PM
BillSchmill
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Quality on the FWY

Hi all,[/align][/align]I am the proud owner of a spankin' new 2007 1500 4x4. I have always had trucks, but this is my first Dodge. I love this truck but one concern I have is how bouncy the rear end gets around 70+ on the freeway. I'm running the 20"s on a 4x4 (I know...)and I don't know what the tire pressure is currently but I'm assuming that it's decent since I just picked it up from the dealer. Iknow that it's stupid to assume that the dealer did anything right so I'll check that out when I get home from work.[/align][/align]Anyway, is this a known problem (poor ride quality at 70+)? It's not dangerous, but it is annoying. Thanks for any help/suggestions.[/align][/align]ALSO, if you are going to tell me that it's a truck and will ride like a truck BLAH BLAH BLAH. Please keep your comments to yourself. I know it's a truck. I'm trying establish whether or not I have a problem that's well known or easily solvable. Thanks.[/align][/align]

Old 01-04-2007, 08:18 PM
loiler921
Professional
Default RE: Ride Quality on the FWY

put some weight in the bed to preload the shocks

Old 01-04-2007, 08:44 PM
crashedcdo
Rookie

definately add some weight. 300 pounds is what most people use. it will soften up the ride alot. i try not to run the rear tires at max pressure to help take up some of the bumps. but i have the 17" wheels. not sure if you can do that with 20" wheels.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:51 AM
cbrewer954
Professional

I changed the shocks on my 03 4x4 and that made a huge difference. When I do have a bit of weight back there it smooths out even more.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:22 AM
BgBluRam
Captain

Yes, most people replace the stock shocks with some good Bilsteins or something of that nature. Mine did the same thing when it was stock. I ended up lifting it, and the problem went away completely. New shocks will cure your problem if you don't want to haul around 300lbs. in the bed all the time.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:28 PM
BillSchmill
Rookie

Ok good. At least I'm not being overly sensitive and didn't buy a truck with a special problem... [/align][/align]Right now with very little thought, I'm only planning on leveling her out. Changing the shocks is a great idea. I have always like the Bilstein ride. Iwas also planning in adding a shell and a BedRug (awesome product by the way). I suppose that would be plenty of preload .[/align][/align]Thanks for the help and just out of curiosity is there a product for putting 300lbs in the bed or are you guys just putting whatever's laying around in the garage in your truck and hauling it around forever.[/align][/align]

Old 01-05-2007, 04:07 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Running 20-inch tires on your 4x4 truck are going to feel stiffer then the 10-ply tires I have on my 2500. A lot of people don't know that when they get low profile tires the sidewalls are very stiff and you feel almost every bump & pebble in the road. Your 20’s feel as bouncy as if I put 80 psi in my rear tires and run the truck empty @70 mph on the Freeway. Your choices are to either lower the air in the tires or add 4-500 lbs in the bed of your truck.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:18 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

the pro comp es3000's work very well the es9000's are very good as well. both are very reasonably priced and easy to install.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:43 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

Iknow aguy that hasabout 800 pounds in the bed ofhis truck in the form of lead weights. They really keep the back end down when turning out onto wetroads. It doesnt effect the milage any, but then again that is on a diesel. I dont notice the bouncy ride on mine, but i am going to either get the weights in my bed soon, or get a replacement bumper and insert weight in the bumper somehow to keep the rear end down.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:02 PM
brianas
Professional

myself and many others have complained about soft shocks and
bouncy ride on the 06+---so you are certainly not alone or imagining
things....How ever I feel confident that some good aftermarket shocks
like bilsteins etc... with fix things right up.
only problem is there is nothing available aftermarket at this time
(except maybe some edelbrocks-but I havent heard anyone got those yet)

and yes a little weight in the bed does help calm the bouncing and keeps
the rear end planted a little better (for those expansion joints on the highway)

Josh

Quick Reply: Ride Quality on the FWY