3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

WTF power steering pump at 44K miles??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:25 PM
nathanp
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WTF power steering pump at 44K miles??

well i took my truck in for my second time with my power steering..... 15k after i had a new pump put on and i guess there was metal fillings in the rack and pinion. Now they have to change the rack and pinion and the pump..... 1300 bucks for parts and not covered by warranty cause power train doesnt cover the power steering components. Not impressed with that, they should have caught that last time the pump went

Old 01-24-2007, 11:04 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure? I just read over the contract which states what is covered. This is it:

Steering: to include steering gear housing and all internal parts;
power steering gear; Power steering pump; steering shaft lower coupling; rack and pinion assembly; seals and gaskets for listed components.....

I suggest you get your contract and read it over thoroughly.............

Old 01-25-2007, 11:59 AM
nathanp
Captain

that is under power train??? I bought the truck used so im not sure if i got a contact or not..... how would i find this out?

Old 01-25-2007, 01:24 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try calling 1.800.521.9922. I think you will need to provide your vin number. I believe these contracts are transferable.
Mine is good for 7years/75k miles...but from reading on this forum they vary from dealership locations.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:50 PM
nathanp
Captain

ya well i have 100k warranty on the powertrain but the steering componnents they said arent considered powertrain. Bumper to bumper is only to 60k so i guess i gotta pay the 100 bucks

Old 01-25-2007, 02:20 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

lol

power steering problems again

i should go copy/paste my post for the 1000th time.

=)

Old 01-25-2007, 02:21 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I just want to contribute to this thread, seeing as how I've had my truck in the shop 3 times for power steering problems.

First Problem: Went in because I noticed power steering fluid leaking all over my front stabilizer bar.
First Dealer Fix: They replaced power steering hoses and clamps.

Second Problem: Went in because my power steering completely died.
Second Dealer Fix: They replaced the power steering pump.

Third Problem: Went in because power steering died AGAIN.
Third Dealer Fix: They replaced the hoses, the pump, and the steering rack.

I was told by the service writer that power steering problems are quite common with these trucks. It may have something to do with the fact that I live in the cold cold north. All the problems mentioned above have taken place in the winter time. Gets to -40 here easy. Don't know exactly how much that has to do with it. Just thought I would mention.

I think that if you're having power steering problems, you should raise a little hell. Dealers by nature will take the quickest/easiest/cheapest way out of a problem. If replacing the hoses had kept the power steering working long enough for my warranty to expire, then I would have been back replacing the power steering pump, and power steering rack, with money out of my own pocket. Luckily it failed 3 times in a row... And was still covered by warranty. I just think it's bull**** they try to cheat everyone like that. And I had to be without my truck for several days.

While this is not what I would consider a major problem, it was still as hassle... I love my truck.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:22 PM
nathanp
Captain

ya im in kinda the same postion, we have gotten to -45 here in the past month so it gets cold, but the first time the pump went it was in august when it wasnt cold at all. and believe me, ive been raising alot of hell to my dealer about this problem

Old 01-26-2007, 09:05 PM
bandit340

Lousy pinch clamps allow fluid to leak and if not caught there goes the pump.I just added a couple of hose clamps an no leaks now. Just keep cking fluid levels.Newer Rams have high pressure fittings all around

Old 01-30-2007, 04:54 AM
Mopar_57

Im having the same problem right now and i have a lil over 43,000 miles. Ive got humming from the pump that i can hear inside my cab through the dashand abad leak comin from the hoses and ive tightened the clamps up but the leak keeps coming back.....does that fall under the powertrain warranty or no???

2003 Ram 1500 Rc 2wd
5.7 Hemi
K&N FIPK
Flowmaster 40 series muffler

Quick Reply: WTF power steering pump at 44K miles??