3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Ridehurley05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY Cold Air Intake

Well listen guys you can say whatever you want but unless you work for K&N or AEM or one of those companies that build cold air intakes and what not, keep your mouth shut and at least do not bash it until you try it, because as a matter of fact i AM getting better MPG and my throttle responsehas remarkably improved...so i don't know what you want me to say. The pvc wont melt its out of the way of anything hot, plus its about a 1/4 of an inch thick. And all of your other "opinions" don't really make a whole lot of sense to me. But you guys just keep on bashing it. But maybe YOU should have tried it. At least i took the initiative to do somthing on my own to my truck.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Ridehurley05

Oh yea and another thing it rained all day yesterday and i went through the car wash today and guess what everything is fine! Hm......wierd huh? Oh and about the grate on the ex-fog lamp infront of the filter...it actually helps because the fins on the grate direct the air right to my filter like in a cars a/c vents.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Phatboy
Professional

I dont see anything wrong with it. It's his truck, he did something to it and he's proud of what he has done. Good job hurley. Im glad Don Garlits didnt think the way some of the people on here do about modding your own vehicle........we'd still be cruising around with 4cyl hurricane engines in our cars.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since it is easy to take air intake on and off
why not follow up the DIY work
with a real world
"two truck test"
to see if it really works.

The two truck test is much more accurate than any rear wheel dyno.
Hundreds of engineers have put thought into how to really test vehicle mods, and the 'two truck test' is the best method available as of now.

See procedure below.
===
It would be easy to do a RELIABLE test of any two air intakes at the
dragstrip.

The way to do it would be to get two nearly identical trucks. They don't
have to be exactly identical but the closer the better.

The two trucks would line up against each other at least 4 times and
preferably 8 or more.

The first half of the runs one truck would have the air intake
and the other would have the stock air intake. After each pass
the drivers swap trucks. Then for the second half of the passes
the two trucks would swap intakes.

In making comparisons it is better to look at terminal speed rather than ET,
but subtracting 60 foot times from ET and comparing those is worthwhile too.

If the air intake really makes a average gain in terminal speed on both trucks
when installed that is pretty reasonable proof.

You might ask yourself:
Why doesn't each air intake maker hire an independent lab to do this and
verify that their intake is superior?

If you do 20 runs instead of 8,
and if the air intake makes a gain in terminal speed on 19 of those 20 runs,
then you are approaching the kind of proof scientists and MD's are supposed to
have before they 'publish' a fact in a magazine.

They wouldn't even have to hire a 'lab'.
Two of the following 'straight shooting' automotive writers (James Dulley,
Dan Neil, Steve Dulich, Rick Ehrenberg) have records that prove their
opinions can't be bought and could probably be paid a nominal
fee & travel expenses to face off against one another in a test.

A side benefit of the above test is that you could also settle bets as to
which of the two drivers was better, which can be fun. Killing two birds with
the same stone, so to speak.

A properly designed air intake can give modest increases of torque and
horsepower (1 to 3%) at wide open throttle - but sometimes this comes at the cost of increased noise or filters that get clogged with bugs and dirt faster.

If you are willing to tolerate more noise and cleaning filters every 1,000 miles, go ahead, build a design, then test it. Improve it. Repeat.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

yea them angles arnt too good, i read that a 90* bend is like adding an extra 10 ft of pipe in some applications.. idk about the CAI tho, nice job it looks professional

Old 01-27-2007, 04:51 PM
crashedcdo
Rookie

wow this guy is really taking constructive critism very personal. makes me wonder if his intake actually is working well. i know that 90 degree bends cause alot of restiction esecially when the engine is at high rpm. not so much on the lower end.

also PVC is not designed for use with heat and is very brittle from the get go. now add heat for a summer and the PVC will get very brittle. the plastics under our hood are designed for high heat applications and can withstand being bent and vibrated to hell and back.

i have thought about making my own intake and my first choice of materials would be pre bent exhaust tubes from an auto parts store.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:37 PM
motorider228
Champion

yes the 90 degree angles maybe aren't the best but this intake is still much better than the stock and delivers cooler air than the stock intake or MOST cai's do. PVC may not be designed for it but it does work. I am not trying to take business or users away from this site but dodgetruckworld has more performance centered enthusiasts than this site does and MANY of them have done a home made intake and say it works. I think most you guys are just mad you spent a crap ton of money for you rintake when you could have made one for a quarter of the price or less. I spent $422 on my CAI and ram air tube but I still know this kind of intake works. Just go look around over there and see some of the custom intakes people have made.

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....-447-n-intakes

Old 01-28-2007, 10:09 PM
motorider228
Champion

Where are all the haters?

Old 01-29-2007, 03:33 AM
72rdstr

Nice looking job. Based on the objective evaluations I've seen on the "factory" aftermarket CAI units, this is probably just as effective.

Not sure what type filter you're using but water can have some unexpected effects on the filter (displacing the oil or closing up the pores) so check it after one of your big rains to see how it likes water.

Used to have a Ranger and the DIYers were getting as good a hp and torque increase as the big boys.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:13 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

There are 2 problems I see with it, While your pvc pipe wont melt because of the heat it will become brittle because of it and can end up breaking or chipping. Also if it is cold out side (freezing temps) and you run it, there will be condensation built up in the pipe andwhen it sits for a while the liquid inside the pipe will freeze which can also cause the pipe to chip or break or even throw ice into your intake. And the 90 degree bends will just compound the problems, they restrict air flow, they trap condensation build up, and the drone must be horrible. Also I cannot see how it could be giving you any better performance than your stock system unless your thinking that the louder it is the better the performance is.

That being said it is a good idea and a good first attempt but I would go back now and refine it.

Quick Reply: DIY Cold Air Intake