3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Catback Exhaust sound questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:16 PM
kpj5br
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Catback Exhaust sound questions

Foiled,

If you do get a Magna on, please let me how how it does when the MDS turns on. I actually cancelled my order because of that, I got scared after hearing stories of weird sounds when the MDS kicked in.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Foiled
Veteran

Kpj5br

I sure will,

I am going to buy one of the systems they sell, just not sure if I want the Dual Rear, Single after the tire or the Dual before the tire yet.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:21 PM
MasterChief

I just had mine put on. Sounds awesome!! Its got a mean growl to it but not overbearing in the cab. I don't have a Hemi with the MDS but I've read here in the forum that there is a way to make is sound a bit better when the MDS kicks in.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:43 PM
nuckingfuts22
Professional

I have the MagnaFlow installed on my truck and I think it sounds much nicer than the Flowmaster. I dont have the resonator at all on my truck and when the MDS kicks in its not that much of a difference, I mean come on at 70 mph you wont hear much at all when someone goes by you unless you have an open exaust. Idle is a really nice sound, I have people ask me all the time what kind of Flowmaster I have and when I tell them I have a MagnaFlow they ask me what is that. When I give my truck gas, its a really great sound and all the way through the powerband it sounds great. When you are on the hwy the sound is not bad at all either, it just gets a little loud when I pass cars thats all. It all will boil down to what you want to spend and what you have heard the most, I am MagnaFlow for life now I will never go back to a Flowmaster but it all depends on what you want more than anything.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Foiled
Veteran

Did you get one of the systems or did you just buy the muffler and have it installed?

Old 02-04-2007, 11:36 AM
79LRT
Professional

Mine was part # MAG15863. Single in dual out cat back . But its for an 05. You can go to magnaflow web site and here a sound clip of an 06 with a cat back

Old 02-04-2007, 02:49 PM
AcemanMCT

I had a 2005 Hemi QC and had installed a FM40. Single cat, single in, dual out with 3" to the rear coming out at the corner of the truck (at the end of each bumper). Looked nice, but the f'ing thing was TOO LOUD. I hated it. My neighbors hated it. Everyone hated it. Period. Too much cab resonance.

I traded it in for a2006 Power Wagon QC with a Hemi. Now looking underneath (everything's undercoated, by the way, with black paint/undercoating - looks nice), it has dual cats to a dual-in muffler with single out. Hmm, interesting. Dual Cats!! Never saw this before. It opens up alot of possibilities. I also own a 2006 Ram Srt-10. That has a huge muffler that's 2-in and 2-out. I was thinking about gettting that muffler from the factory and the factory dual pipes from that vehicle and setting it up the same way. It's quiet, yet roars when I jump on it, and it uses that 304 Stainless exhaust.

Most of the other custom exhuast systems I've seen and heard are not 304, they are thinner tubing and tinnier sounding, like what I had on my '05.

What I'm looking for is a quiet quiet quiet throaty rumble, not theloud obnoxious crap I had with those FM40's where I can barely hear the radio or hear someone on the phone without them complaining and asking what is that noise in the background... SoI'm even afraid to get the 50's after the FM40's experience.

What do you guys think is the best course of action for this setup? Factory SRT-10 exhaust that uses 304 Stainless, factory dual exhaust that alsouses 304 Stainless (found in the accessories catalog), or Magnaflow?

So far I've found this (Magnaflow SRT-10 replacement, dual-in, dual-ou, to the rear including stainless tips):
http://www.completeexhaust.com/produ...oducts_id=1132

Thanks,
Ace

Old 02-04-2007, 03:32 PM
scox35
Rookie

I have the 70 series big block and took the res off. tail pipes come out the rear side behind the wheels. I just love the sound, not overly loud just right has a nicelow roar when you get on it.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:53 PM
AcemanMCT

scox35, Is the 70 series single-in and dual out? I'll need a dual-in and dual-out.
How's the interior noise level? Can you hear the radio without having to turn it up?

Ace

Old 02-05-2007, 08:43 PM
scox35
Rookie

yes mine issingle in dual out but the 70 series comes dual in dual out also. The interior noise level isnt that bad there is a slight drone when cruising on the highway at 75 but nothing you cant talk over. I went with the 70 cause i didnt want it to loud and im not sorry I love it.

Quick Reply: Catback Exhaust sound questions