3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Catback Exhaust sound questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Foiled
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catback Exhaust sound questions

Which is louder, a Flowmaster 40 or a Magnaflow.

I am looking for a good system but I want the quietest system I can get with the best performance.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:39 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker
Default RE: Catback Exhaust sound questions

i have the flowmaster 40 series si/do and it is very loud. but i also had the reso taken out.... ive heard alot of guys going with the flowmaster 50 series and keeping the reso. gave a nice growl at take off but had no interior resonance.... i cant say anything about magnaflow havent read too much on their systems....

Old 01-29-2007, 06:55 PM
DelawareDon
Professional

Keep in mind that since you've got on '06....you've got MDS....and many Hemi owners have been very disappointed with the sound of a louder exhaust system when the engine goes from 8 to 4 cylinders. Of course, if this is a concern to you, you can always over-ride the system by driving in tow mode all the time.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Foiled
Veteran

I don't think it will bother me. I do not want a loud exhaust. That is why I havent ordered my CAT back yet. I don't want that screaming sound you hear all the time. I just want a nice purr at cruise speed and a little louder at take off. Nothing that would make all that cracking and poping noise that I hear in trucks.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:24 PM
berg501

Foiled,
I'm running a 50 series Flowmaster w/o the rear resonator on my '06 Hemi Quad Cab. Single in/single out with 4" diameter polished stainless tip with a slight downwards tilt, exiting in stock location. Looks nice and clean. I still have the front resonator in place to help with the odd noise when the MDS kicks in.

Sound wise, it is quiet at idle, growls when givin' it gas and nice rumble when doin' 80 down the highway. Interior noise is very acceptable. You will not be disappointed. Do not buy for improvement in gas mileage (won't happen).

Mike

Old 01-29-2007, 09:36 PM
superduc21

I went withdual Thunderbolts, 2.5 inch pipes and 3.5 inch stainless tips and absolutely love the sound (growls almost like a super 40) It's just a little louder than a flowmaster (maybe because it exits out the sides?)Took the resonators off too.About 30 bucks a muffler cheaper also.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:36 AM
MasterChief

Foiled,

If you want "loud" then the Flowmaster is your exhaust. If you want performance, then the Magnaflow is the way to go. I just bought a Magnaflow upon numerous recomendations and its getting installed tomorrow. I'll let you know how I like it.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:13 AM
79LRT
Professional

Go with the Magnaflow I just installed mine 2 weeks ago its low rumble until you put the hammer down then it wakes up . But not overly loud.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Thundercloud

If you are going to use a Flowmaster, get the Series 50 HD which is specifically made for the HEMI trucks. I just got a Magnaflow installed SI/DO and removed both reso's yesterday and it is perfect to me. Slight rumble at idle, a little louder rumble on pulling away from a light, and a sweet growl when getting into it. And the best part is NO DRONE!!!

The Magnaflow's have packing where the Flowmasters are just empty cans with baffles. I have had FM's on my 97 F-150,03 HEMI Ram, 06 Charger R/T and I decided to go Magnaflow after dealing with the MDS on the Charger and I'm very pleased with the sound and performance of the Magnaflow.

JMO

Old 01-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Foiled
Veteran

Thanks folks!

79LRT, MasterChief and Thundercloud, Which Magnaflow system did you have installed?

Quick Reply: Catback Exhaust sound questions