3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 03:31 AM
thorkil
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Factory alarm question

Maybe barely off-topic, I have been trying to find out if there is a way to turn OFF the whole annoying VTSS (vehicle theft security system) that came on my 06 Ram 1500 Mega . Seems every time some loose change in my pocket comes in contact with the red Panic button on the key (think it's called an RKE) the truck goes nuts, and it gets me rattled so I can't get it shut off fast enough.
Also, we bought a plain key for my wife to carry in her purse. The idea was that she could get in the rig if we split up shopping or something. But again, as soon as she opens the door with it, the truck goes nuts with flashing lights and horn, and she has no way to shut it off without the RKE, which I took with me. Dealer wants about $100 for a spare RKE type key, may have to spend the money & have her lug the thing around. Very annoying, the whole deal.

Is there a way to disable the thing? (like I did for my driverseatbelt alarm, which was in the manual, & easy to do) If nobody posts an answer here I will post as a new topic. Thanks

Old 03-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

ORIGINAL: JRH_PowerWagon_06

The red circular light on the instrument cluster is for the Sentry Key. It's just a starter interrupt anti-theft feature, and not an alarm.
There is a factory option with a real alarm, but not too common package from what I have seen. You can buy it as a Mopar accessory and have it dealer installed, or install it yourself like I did.
It's called EVS I or EVSII depending on whether you have remote keyless entry or not.
I had that installed on my truck after it was stolen. It cost me $370.00 installed and you get two keys. The dealer did the work.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:27 PM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

That's a reasonable installed price for the EVS. The entire drivers side dash and everything below the radio needs to be pulled out to access the wiring. And that is the easy part.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:36 PM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

The red LED light supplied in the EVS kit is much brighter, and in a better location to deter thieves than the light in the steeringcluster anyway.
FYI- After I drilled a hole in the panel for it, I realized that it would be more visible from the outside window in my taller Power Wagon if I had it higher up, and not centered like they suggest in the directions.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:56 PM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

ORIGINAL: thorkil

Maybe barely off-topic, I have been trying to find out if there is a way to turn OFF the whole annoying VTSS (vehicle theft security system) that came on my 06 Ram 1500 Mega . Seems every time some loose change in my pocket comes in contact with the red Panic button on the key (think it's called an RKE) the truck goes nuts, and it gets me rattled so I can't get it shut off fast enough.
Also, we bought a plain key for my wife to carry in her purse. The idea was that she could get in the rig if we split up shopping or something. But again, as soon as she opens the door with it, the truck goes nuts with flashing lights and horn, and she has no way to shut it off without the RKE, which I took with me. Dealer wants about $100 for a spare RKE type key, may have to spend the money & have her lug the thing around. Very annoying, the whole deal.

Is there a way to disable the thing? (like I did for my driverseatbelt alarm, which was in the manual, & easy to do) If nobody posts an answer here I will post as a new topic. Thanks
What I do when I leave my dog in the truck, and don't want him activating the shock sensor, is manuallypush downthe door ****(s). This won't activate the alarm, but the Sentry Key feature will still prevent ignition function. I have the truck doorlocks programmed to only unlock the drivers side when I exit. Pressing the power door lock button on the door will arm the alarm without the key fob.

I'm hoping that DCM will redesign the alarm key with recessed buttons that don't press so easily.
I've set the thing off turning on the ignition, and many times from stuff in my pocket pressing the panic button.

You could try disabling the panic button switch. I havn't opened up the Dodge one to see if it's possible, but I have done this on other alarm fobs.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Rgory
Rookie

From everything I understand, the alarm can not be disabled. It is integrated into the instrument cluster. You can look on e-bay and the forum as well as some people have un-cut keys for sale may save you some money.

Ryan

Old 06-17-2007, 07:58 PM
hank

I have an 2006 ram HEMI with an EVSII factory add-on alarm system which was installed by the dealerand I'm on the third module in 8 months. Anyone having the sae problem?

Old 06-20-2007, 04:02 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

What was the failure mode? Did it work ok for awhile then stop working? Is it just some functionality that's broken, or is it totally dead?

Old 06-20-2007, 04:29 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Rgory

Ok well I have been back and forth for a while and finally broke down and bought an EVSI security system for my 06 Power Wagon. I noticed the little red light on the dash and looked through the owners manual which says "Security Light" So then I go to the facotry service manual to look for the output of that light so I can tap into it and have the EVS flash a light there when it is armed/disarmed. Which leads me to this snipid from the manual....

"[align=left]VEHICLE THEFT SECURITY SYSTEM[/align][align=left]The ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) is used on this model to control and integrate many of the functions[/align][align=left]and features included in the Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS). In the VTSS, the EMIC receives inputs[/align][align=left]indicating the status of the door ajar switches and the ignition switch. The EMIC will process the information from all[/align][align=left]of these inputs, internally control the security indicator as appropriate, and send electronic messages to the Totally[/align][align=left]Integrated Power Module (TIPM) over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. The TIPM internally controls the[/align][align=left]outputs to the hazard warning lamps and the horn(s) as appropriate.[/align][align=left]Following are paragraphs describing the operation of each of the VTSS features.[/align][align=left]ENABLING[/align][align=left]The EMIC must have the VTSS function electronically enabled in order for the VTSS to perform as designed. The[/align][align=left]logic in the EMIC keeps its VTSS function dormant until it is enabled using a diagnostic scan tool. The VTSS function[/align][align=left]of the EMIC is enabled on vehicles equipped with the VTSS option at the factory, but a service replacement[/align][align=left]EMIC must be VTSS-enabled by the dealer using a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information."[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Which continues on to say that... [/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]"...[/align][align=left]DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING[/align][align=left]VEHICLE THEFT SECURITY SYSTEM[/align][align=left]However, conventional diagnostic methods may not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of the ElectroMechanical[/align][align=left]Instrument Cluster (EMIC), the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), the Controller Area Network (CAN) data[/align][align=left]bus, or the electronic message inputs used to provide the electronic features of the VTSS. The most reliable, efficient,[/align][align=left]and accurate means to diagnose the EMIC, the TIPM, the CAN data bus, and the electronic message inputs[/align][align=left]for the VTSS requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. See the “Vehicle Theft Security System” menu item on the[/align][align=left]scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information."[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]So seeing that both the 06/07 model years share the can bus I would assume that it is the same for both model years. Now the question becomes can this option be enabled using a star scan tool? I think so... just dont have one to find out. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Good luck let me know if you find anything out...[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]
Ryan[/align]
From the way I read this, If the "cluster" needs to be replaced on a truck with factory VTSS, the new replacement cluster needs to have the VTSS functionality enabled usinga scan tool in order for the Factory VTSS towork properly.
The real question is the EVSII (or EVSI) add-on alarm system the same asthe Factory VTSS?
Is the VTSS the factory alarm in the Sound and Security Group option? Or is it just the simple anti-theft features (Not a full alarm) provided in the now fully-integrated Sentry Keywith Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) option?

Quick Reply: Factory alarm question