3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 01:43 PM
usnfirefighter
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory alarm question

[sm=feedback.gif]Does the 2007 Ram have a factory alarm installed or is it an option that would need to be added. I have the little red security light, but it doesn't flash. I remember on the older durangos, and soem other vehicles, there was a security feature that you could activate if you had the keyless entry. Thanks in advance.

2007 Dodge Ram Thunder Road Package

Old 02-22-2007, 12:45 AM
usnfirefighter
Professional
Default RE: Factory alarm question

Any one have any inputs???

Old 02-22-2007, 05:55 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

The red circular light on the instrument cluster is for the Sentry Key. It's just a starter interrupt anti-theft feature, and not an alarm.
There is a factory option with a real alarm, but not too common package from what I have seen. You can buy it as a Mopar accessory and have it dealer installed, or install it yourself like I did.
It's called EVS I or EVSII depending on whether you have remote keyless entry or not.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:20 AM
dillyw
Professional

An my 03 Hemi if i luck the door with key and reach in unluck through window as soon as i open the door alarm goes off. Is that factory alarm? the only way to open it with out alarm is with a key , is that normal??

Old 02-23-2007, 02:04 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

That sounds like an alarm to me. They probalbly have changed somewhat over the years.

Mine willarm the alarm if you use the keyless entry buttons, or by pressing the door lock button on the door, not by using the key in the keylock, although many vehicles can do it that way.

I'm pretty sure that if alarm is armed, unlocking the keylock will notturn off the alarm. Imay test this during daylight hours later.

In my Ford, the keylock candisable the alarm, but you have to turn it to lock position first, then to unlock, and I believe it has to be the coded key. Don't quote me on that...

Old 02-25-2007, 05:38 PM
bomech

HI, the only real alarm on the Dodge Ram Truck comes in the sound and security group package. If you have that option on the window sticker. It normally comes along with the steering wheel mounted audio controls, so if you have volume and station controls on the back of the steering wheel you most likely have the alarm. Thanks Ken

Old 02-25-2007, 05:56 PM
usnfirefighter
Professional

Ok. That straighened that question out. The only reason I asked is I have seen on 04 Durangos that didn't have the audio option but when you locked the doors with the remote and reached through the window and opened the door, the lights woiuld flash, and horn would blow. Guess they went away with that.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:30 PM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

My steering wheel mounting audio controls was a $75 option, not part of the sound/security group.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:36 PM
bomech

The brochure shows it as an option for the SLT , TRX4, Sport, and standard on the Laramie, it does not show in the 07 brochure as an option for the Power Wagon any more. I have found most dealers here in Missouri like to order the Big Horn Group on SLT's and that's it, I like the steering wheel mounted audio controls with the infinity's. The best way to get that is in the Sounds and Security Group.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:05 AM
Rgory
Rookie

Ok well I have been back and forth for a while and finally broke down and bought an EVSI security system for my 06 Power Wagon. I noticed the little red light on the dash and looked through the owners manual which says "Security Light" So then I go to the facotry service manual to look for the output of that light so I can tap into it and have the EVS flash a light there when it is armed/disarmed. Which leads me to this snipid from the manual....

"
VEHICLE THEFT SECURITY SYSTEM
The ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) is used on this model to control and integrate many of the functions
and features included in the Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS). In the VTSS, the EMIC receives inputs
indicating the status of the door ajar switches and the ignition switch. The EMIC will process the information from all
of these inputs, internally control the security indicator as appropriate, and send electronic messages to the Totally
Integrated Power Module (TIPM) over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. The TIPM internally controls the
outputs to the hazard warning lamps and the horn(s) as appropriate.
Following are paragraphs describing the operation of each of the VTSS features.
ENABLING
The EMIC must have the VTSS function electronically enabled in order for the VTSS to perform as designed. The
logic in the EMIC keeps its VTSS function dormant until it is enabled using a diagnostic scan tool. The VTSS function
of the EMIC is enabled on vehicles equipped with the VTSS option at the factory, but a service replacement
EMIC must be VTSS-enabled by the dealer using a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information."
Which continues on to say that...
"...
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
VEHICLE THEFT SECURITY SYSTEM
However, conventional diagnostic methods may not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of the ElectroMechanical
Instrument Cluster (EMIC), the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), the Controller Area Network (CAN) data
bus, or the electronic message inputs used to provide the electronic features of the VTSS. The most reliable, efficient,
and accurate means to diagnose the EMIC, the TIPM, the CAN data bus, and the electronic message inputs
for the VTSS requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. See the “Vehicle Theft Security System” menu item on the
scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information."
So seeing that both the 06/07 model years share the can bus I would assume that it is the same for both model years. Now the question becomes can this option be enabled using a star scan tool? I think so... just dont have one to find out.
Good luck let me know if you find anything out...

Ryan

Quick Reply: Factory alarm question