3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing exhuast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:41 AM
deerslayer45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing exhuast?

I have asked this question a few different places and would like your guys thoughts. I recently purchased a 2007 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi Ram. I cant stand not hearing my truck and need an exhaust! I like duals, but I am gonna be towing my recently purchased 23' travel trailer with my family this summer. I dont want and obnoxious system but I do want a nice deep tone that turns heads but doesnt give me a headache inside. I am worried about having the pipes come straight out the back facing the camper, will this cause any problems to the camper ie. heat, soot, gasses???? Some have said the gas engine dont create enough to hurt anyting other say it will. Also with it echo against the camper???? I want a stainless kit since I will be keeping the truck for some time, down to a gibson extreme dual kit which exits at the corners near the bumper, and the magnaflow dual kit that comes straight out the back. Both are nice kits but i just recently heard the gibson resonate real bad in the cab. Anyhelp is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 PM
79LRT
Professional
Default RE: Towing exhuast?

I personally have the magnaflow exhaust. it is mild at cruising speed and idle but nice when you step on it . no drone in the cab at hiway speeds. I have heard great things about borla it angles out on each side after the wheels at a 45 deg angle so no soot on your camper.It is pricey though . MOPAR performance has an exhaust thats made by borla you might get a good price if you shop around

Old 03-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

I've had Borla in past cars. It's always been amazing in sound and quality.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:59 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

79LRT, what magnaflow do you have? Is it the same one on rpmoutlet.com? Just curious cause the one I had was just so annoying. I really like magnaflow performance wise, but not the interior noise it gave me.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

I run a aero turbine 2525 (2.5in) but thats with a4.7 I'd say go with a aero turbine 3030 (3in). To keep it quite when towinI ran the pipes at a 45 degree angle right under the corner of the bumper....its not loud enough to bother you on the highway but puts out a good deep tone and speaks up when you get on it....I can send you a pic of how the tips look out the back if ya want...and you can get gear it at this link : http://www.aeroexhaust.com/seehear.html

Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 PM
PX
Professional

I have the Series 50 Flowmaster that goes straight out the back. It sounds pretty good. The only complaint that I have, is when I'm towing my covered snowmobile trailer, the exhaust sounds a lot louder. I'm guessing that's because the sound is bouncing off the trailer and I'm hearing it.I think the 45 degree exhausts are just as cool and provide a pretty good work around on the sound. I don't haul my trailer a lot, so it really isn't an issue with me. But somethng to consider.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain

I have the series 40 on my hemi. The pipes come out the side in back of the rear wheels And the sound goes out to the side so the people on the streets can hear it the best. And they do hear it. And it purrrrrrs nicely inside as well.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:37 AM
hemiman07
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 07 1500 quad 4x4 hemi and put on flowmaster 40 two chamber. Straight out the back. Sounds good, nice deep tone outside, quiet on the inside. Haven't had a chance to tow my 21 foot boat yet, can't wait till the weather changes.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:50 AM
BgBluRam
Captain

I have my pipes straight out the back with the flowmaster 40 series muffler and I tow my 28ft prowler all the time in the summer without any suit or gasses of any kind. Sound is awesome, and I like how it looks..

Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 AM
jskepler_03
Rookie

From my experience with towing different trailers, duals straight out that back tends to be louder than I like (both gas and diesels), especially on long road trips. Most of my experience has been with aluminum trailers, and I'm sure they echo the sound much more than other types of materials. My truck has duals that exit at 45 degree angles, and it really doesn't seem to echo off the trailer. I'd go the angled route if you're worried about the extra noise.

Quick Reply: Towing exhuast?