3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i need an accurate answer on backspacing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:17 AM
claytonfranke
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need an accurate answer on backspacing.

I have read post after post, and searched everything and still can not find a for sure answer. What is the wheel backspacing on a: Dodge QC 2004 lonestar edition. 20x9 polished wheels.

5 ; 5.5

Am looking to get new 17x9 wheels but would like to be able to know the width difference of the new wheel (backspacing) so i can tell what it will look like. I want the new wheel to stick out a little further but dont want it too wide because it is just a 2WD truck with leveling kit.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:56 AM
kpj5br
Rookie
Default RE: i need an accurate answer on backspacing.

I don't think you're going to get a straight answer, even directly from dodge. Best bet is to take them directly to a reputable wheel and tire place and have them measured.

I originally bought the 20" polished mopar's (bought them from the dealer as an option, they didn't come with the truck) because the dealer told me the backspacing was 4.5. They lied, and my tires didn't fit (they rubbed on the upper a-frame). Thankfully they took them back and gave me my money back, and I went with aftermarkets (american racing).

That said, you really do need to be sure if that measurement is important to you, so get them measured by a pro. I say that because I've personally found that not all the mopar 20s are created "equal", and there is actual variance (probably as DC contracts to multiple places to have them machined).

Old 03-04-2007, 03:12 AM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Use a straight edge and place it across the back of the wheel (the side that faces the vehicle). Measure from the mounting pad to the straight edge and you have your backspacing.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:06 AM
wyorat

I had an 04 4x4 with 17x8s and a buddy had the same with 20x9s. It took me a while to find it but the 17s have a 25mm offset and the 20s had a 30mm offset. All this new trucks have positive offsets. No more deep dish look. On most aftermarket 8inch wide wheels the offset is 0 (4.5"). To get your wheel to stick out a litte you would need something around 10mm(4 3/4 to 5 inches). Only a few wheels offer this in the 5.5 bolt pattern. You have to look hard. If you go with a wider wheel it changes everything. Your tires would definately stick out more. www.tires.com will show you wheels that will fit your truck. The higher positve offset wheels are close to what factory are. Good luck and hope I helped a little! P.S. I actually found a website that had a coversion chart for wheel width and mm offset and coverted itto backspacing ininches. Maybe I'll try to find it for you.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:13 PM
wyorat

Me again. Founda site with conversion chart. Hope it helps! www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Old 03-09-2007, 07:27 PM
sharpshooter
Veteran

I have been told that if the truck came with factory 20's then you cant go down to a 17 because of the disc brakes. This might vary on theyears but I figured Id throw that out there. I have zero knowledge of this as I said I have heard that at the wheel shop.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:07 AM
wyorat

Wrong. Dodges come with 17x8 stock wheels. I think the 20s are 9 inches wide.I know. When I bought my 04 I asked if I could drop to 16s. To small for the rear disc is what the service shop said. My 07 came with 20s and I made the dealer swap with my 17s. They run fine. This is assuming your truck isn't an race version. I don't know too much about the 2wd R/Ts.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:08 AM
chefred112
All Star

...my stock wheels are 20 x 9's, I just bought Pro Comp wheels (style 1079...24lbs)that are 17x 9 with a 4.75" backspace. I will be running a 12" wide drag radial on it..the tire itself will stick out about 1.5"

Quick Reply: i need an accurate answer on backspacing.