3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"correct" way to remove bumper bezel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:37 PM
kpj5br
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "correct" way to remove bumper bezel?

Clearly I can do this by brute force, but don't want to in case it needs to go back on. I have purchased a billet bumper grill so I need to remove the factory plastic bezel (see circled part in picture).

The service manual doesn't seem to address this.

Any help?

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/54118/F3B5D991FF5248ADAE5CD2253BAE55B6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2007, 12:16 AM
blitzpit
Default RE: "correct" way to remove bumper bezel?

I would LOVE to know how to remove it properly aswell.

I'm looking to have a winch installed and that stupid plastic insert has to be removed in order to install the Winch.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:22 AM
pakaalbite
Professional

I remove mine by getting a very short screw driver. After that stripped the screws, I said F*ck it and i just ripped the da*n thing off.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 AM
kpj5br
Rookie

HAHA, yes I got close to that point myself!

I've removed a lot of bezels, but I've never seen anything as "permanent" looking as this one. The clip "thingies" on the upper part are absolutely massive, so it may turn out to be just a sacraficial thing, which is not the end of the world, but it would be nice to save it.

Well, I'll give it until next weekend, if no one in the world knows how to do it, off it comes, using the brute force method!

Old 03-12-2007, 12:37 AM
blitzpit

Yep, I'm with ya man. If knowone gives a clear way of taking it off properly within the next week, I'm pulling out the hammer and Chizzle

Old 03-12-2007, 03:00 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is held in with 4 plastic screws in the underside of the top of the bezel....use a screwdriver and unscrew them and then pull them out...if the screws come out by themselves then u gotta push out the thing holdin em in....it's just a plastic peice that expands when you put a screw in it...it's extremely simple and should not take you more then like 2 min to take all 4 of them out...if u stick your head down below the bumper from above and look at the top of the bezel you will see what i'm talkin about

Old 03-12-2007, 03:17 AM
djr04
All Star

It's actually pretty simple to do. If I remember correctly from installing a grill guard in the tow hook mounts. All I remember removing was the black push pins at the top of the black piece. I just used a side cutters to get underneath them and then pulled them out. Make sure you don't lose these though, as they also hold on the color portion of the bumper above the opening. After you are done, simply pop the pins back in. (There is a possibility that not all trucks use push pins, and they may be actual screws in some cases, but the truck I did this on (06 ram st) used push pins.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:05 PM
kpj5br
Rookie

hmmm, hemiyellow, I will look again because I didn't see those (or feel them). If that is the case it makes it a lot easier.

djr, yes I see the black push pins, just pull straight up on those and they come out? How much force did you use pulling? My nervousness is that they are plastic, and the 1 ft/lb. too much force and you break it and it's over from there...

Old 03-12-2007, 12:08 PM
djr04
All Star

wiggle back and forth, instead of pulling straight out, that should give you and idea of the amount of pressure required. as hemiyellow stated, it is easier if you can look at the bumper from behind, from within the bottom of the engine bay. I had the luxury of a drive on lift, which made it quite easy.

Quick Reply: "correct" way to remove bumper bezel?