3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OEM Hitch vs. ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:19 AM
frogslinger
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OEM Hitch vs. ???

Hitch installer here...

factory hitch and all aftermarket bumper hitches are preety much limited to 5K without load leveling kit. All rams with the towing package come with hitches... not sure how you got seven pin wiring without a hitch they are both part of the package.

The ram hiches are not like the GM or ford ones... rams come with the bar preinstalled and just need the actual receiver part added. If you get an OEM hitch they will either remove thebar an put a new entire hitch in (factory style) or simply bolt a new receiver to the factory bar. All afetermarket ones are that way too. Easiest way to tell what you have is to pry the little round caps off of the step in your bumper. If all three have holes under them it is a facoty receiver. If the two outer ones have bolts in them it is either a mopar or aftermarket add on receiver.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:24 AM
damquick1
Veteran

I got mine on e-bay for 1/2 of what the dealer wanted and about 25 bucks cheaper than my local hitch place including the shipping, installed it in 15 minutes, works like a charm.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:47 AM
FroneDaddy
Captain

I love my Mopar hitch, aftermarket ones are all fine, but never buy a hidden hitch. I had one on my '97 1500, they are a pain to find a ball mount that is adjustable with a receiver tube long enough to reach the hitch pin holes, and when you do find one they won't be rated for any more than 6,000 lbs.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:43 PM
damquick1
Veteran

mine's a Curt...the same company that makes the Reese hitch and the Mopar hitch

Quick Reply: OEM Hitch vs. ???