3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bed rail cap or rail bars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:31 PM
theHemiBeast
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bed rail cap or rail bars?

I hate the fact that even with a bed liner, my side rails aren't covered. Why would Dodge not cover the side rails???

Anyway, I am thinking about either buying some bed rail caps to cover them or maybe even putting on somerail bars instead. Which do you think?? Why one over the other? Any opinions would help.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star
Default RE: bed cap or rail?

Are you talking about rail caps... Yeah, those look good. I am assuming that you are talking about a drop in liner, not a spray in. Take out the drop in and get it sprayed, over the rails. This way, you are not wearing your bed and your rails out with the liner and caps (caps will wear on the paint below, you can cap over a spray in liner). The spray in will cost you around $500- 550, rail caps, tail gate cap will cost around $150- 200.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:42 PM
theHemiBeast
Professional

yeah, I meant to say rail caps. SoI am looking at eithergetting some rail capsor installing some rail bars.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:18 PM
boyd98
Veteran

i just posted a shot of my truck with a soft bed cover and bed rails if you want to take a look

https://dodgeforum.com/m_732772/tm.htm

Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 PM
reindeerman
Rookie
Default RE: bed rail cap or rail bars?

First I’m not going to debate drop-in verses spray-in liners. I have two trucks, one with rail bars and the other with bed rail caps. I bought both trucks used and they were already equipped. The bars looked Ok and I left them on that truck. In my use they are terrible. The spacing between the bar and the truck body is too small and hard to latch or tie stuff down with. I also need to walk on the rails sometimes and that is just dangerous. My other truck has bright diamond tread caps and is great to walk on when needed. I use the factory stake pockets and tie downs to latch and tie to without a problem.

I believe you will just need to make the styling/use choice you prefer. There are a lot of options out there.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:06 PM
theHemiBeast
Professional

ORIGINAL: boyd98

i just posted a shot of my truck with a soft bed cover and bed rails if you want to take a look

https://dodgeforum.com/m_732772/tm.htm
Looks good. Are those the ones that require no drilling? I assume they are attached into the stake holes? If so, how secure is it? I cannot think of how tight they can be without drilling.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 PM
theHemiBeast
Professional

ORIGINAL: reindeerman

First I’m not going to debate drop-in verses spray-in liners. I have two trucks, one with rail bars and the other with bed rail caps. I bought both trucks used and they were already equipped. The bars looked Ok and I left them on that truck. In my use they are terrible. The spacing between the bar and the truck body is too small and hard to latch or tie stuff down with. I also need to walk on the rails sometimes and that is just dangerous. My other truck has bright diamond tread caps and is great to walk on when needed. I use the factory stake pockets and tie downs to latch and tie to without a problem.

I believe you will just need to make the styling/use choice you prefer. There are a lot of options out there.
I too am not inclined to debate which is better, spray-in vs drop-in. Since I bought mine with a bedliner already dropped in, I just want to protect my rails. I thought I was leaning towards the bars, but you make some good points and I may be inclined to agree with them all. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:23 PM
boyd98
Veteran

No drilling. Installation was cake.

Basically those came with a thick rubber spacer you drop into the "stake holes" If you keep cranking on them, tightening down, the spacer expands to where you can't pull it out. Its suppose to hold 500lbs each. It came with some extra screws in the event i needed to drill, but it stated to only use that option if you didnt have the "stake holes"

Old 03-13-2007, 01:55 PM
theHemiBeast
Professional

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: bed rail cap or rail bars?