3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi vers cummons...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 04:40 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hemi vers cummons...

Last weekend I had the pleasure of driving a 05 quad cab one ton cummons with a automatic, and the owner of the 05 drove my 06 2500 5.7. 6sp

I found the cummins to be a tempermental bull, push it and the accleration is amazing, but stopping is a scary deal, The cumins still push's hard after your foot is off the pedal and the automatic is lost when up shifting or down shifting.

The ride and handeling and braking betwean my 06 reg cab 2500 and the 05 quad cab are =, I like iterior of the 05 better than the grey cloth of my 06, and the infinty sound system of the 05 is so much better than the crapy radio in my 06.

I found my truck had an advantage in driver control due to the six speed and to be honest, I would never get a cumins engine with a automatic and for the extra 7 grand in price for a cummins engine, you are getting the better engine if you need the torque for towing.

With booth trucks empty, the cumims out acclerated my 5.7 six speed so bad I was amazed, but once up to highway speed, the hemi really pulls in the miles betwean the two trucks and for my needs the hemi more than meets my needs.

Would I like a cumins engine? Yes, do I want to pay for one? no !!!

Booth trucks are SLT ...

Old 03-17-2007, 04:59 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hemi vers cummons...

First off it is CUMMINS not cummons or cumins. Secondly with simple mods the cummins will out preform the hemi in every situationhands down. Oh, and whenyou let off the acc. andapply the break and it justkeeps rolling, thatmeansyou need to press the brake harder.Even with the auto transmission you can do some serious towing and you dont really lose any torque with the auto. Sure you can control what the truck does thus making it pull better, but i tow with mine auto and i have never had a problem. The stereo you are complaining about was probably the low end system that they put in the trucks. His truck may have had the 7 speaker system and yours the 4 speaker. When you state that it really puts the miles between them, what exactly do you mean. Because I am positive that the cummins will keep up with a hemi if you are rolling at highway speeds.

P.S. What are the mods on the trucks?

Old 03-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ithought the cummins felt sluggish in real world driving.I tested a new one out last year for over a hour. It seemed great for heavy towing if thats what you used your truck for 85% of the time but lacked the quickness of the V8 Hemi. After owning a non MDS Hemi in my 2006 2500 qc 4x4 for a year now, I still dont want a deisel. I go off roading alot during hunting season and this past hunting season my rig was awesome off road. The Cummins is still the best choice for a farm truck or heavy hauler.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:16 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cummins is bone stock, I went to dual ex on my 2500 5.7. Rc 4x4 THe six speed is geared low, so once you work threw the gears, my truck is able to run down the cumins on the highway pretty dam quick.

I'm still surprised how quick a cummins with an auto get's up to speed, but considering the ammount of power and lack of ability to reign it in with holly **** braking, I would not want to own a cummins with a automatic.

I compared mpg numbers betwean the two trucks and mine gets slighly better mpg at 60 mph in 6th at 1800 Rpm, the cummins idles lower at 60 mph than the hemi and here in the great white north, the go juice for a cummins is more expensive than gas.

I'm not dising the cummins, but considering the extra 7+ grand for the engine it's not pratical unless you tow a lot and drive with in the limits of what your towing.

Because my truck is lighter in the front end, My 2500 gas cornors like a go cart in comparsion to the cummins and is a far better work truck due to to the 8ft box vers the quad cab.

The really odd conclusion in my comparison is empty, booth trucks performance are closly matched, throw 10,000 Lbs behind booth trucks and the cummins is at an advantage.

A really crazy observation I have observed here in Alberta, are the number of D. powerd trucks on the road with out hitchs....

Old 03-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Let's see you get a helluva lot more power out of the cummins and as far as paying for one... well the better mileage you get in comparison to a Hemi in i'd say a year or two it has payed for itself.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:16 PM
somebodyinok
Professional

ORIGINAL: squirtbottle09

First off it is CUMMINS not cummons or cumins. Secondly with simple mods the cummins will out preform the hemi in every situationhands down. Oh, and whenyou let off the acc. andapply the break and it justkeeps rolling, thatmeansyou need to press the break harder.
Did you mean brake?

Old 03-17-2007, 07:43 PM
GFB
Professional

I'm not dising the cummins, but considering the extra 7+ grand for the engine it's not pratical unless you tow a lot and drive with in the limits of what your towing.
Well, if you keep your truck until it's got 100k or more miles, that cummins just paid for itself in resale value. The resale value of the CTD trucks is awesome.

Oh, and that truck in my sig--my wife is driving now. I'm shopping for a CTD.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:51 PM
PRam
Professional

I was the same, did not want a diesel, but after a couple of years with the Cummins, I will NEVER buy another gasoline powered truck. The power is awesome and better fuel mileage, and the ladies love a guy in a diesel, but above all ...
It is a TRUCK, gasoline powered rams are PICKUPS.
just my.02 cents,
not dising the Hemi

Old 03-17-2007, 08:43 PM
deanj287
Captain

wat makes a pickup compared to a truck??

i would run a diesel but in the city its pointless. i dont have to tow a house so my hemi pulls plenty. i have a hard enough time keepin tires on the damn things cuz i cant keep my foot out of it. i like the power on demand so to speak, my pops f350 is nice and will pull your teeth out through you ears but the boost lag sucks for such a big truck. diesel= towing plain and simple

Old 03-17-2007, 09:23 PM
motorider228
Champion

I never tow and if I could afford it I would have bought a cummins. The 1500 hemi is faster than the cummins stock for stock but when you start modding a gas motor will just see tail lights if it's racing a diesel. My next truck will be a cummins hands down.

Quick Reply: hemi vers cummons...