3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Wagon Problems-what Lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:45 PM
thekidnotakid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power Wagon Problems-what Lockers?

I have almost 50,000 miles on my 05 PW. The lockers have always been a problem. Now while I am driving down the highway the RR light flashes and the sev4wd light comes on. I drove 800 miles from Tennessee to Florida and had to watch this intermittently for the whole trip. I have not brought it in for this problem yet. We all know what they will say if it is not happening when it goes to the tech.I have had the fluids changed at the correct interval. I will repost after I have it looked at. I do know that the lockers take a very, very, very long time to engage. When this problem is occuring they wont engage at all. P.S. I have had 2 sway bars replaced on this truck as well. All of this fancy smancy stuff sure is turning out to bea pain in the keester. I still love my truck though.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48655/8EB2429F858243B0A0628A8E0A3C2A85.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-30-2007, 02:05 AM
Yellowsally
Rookie

05 power wagon My lockers work fine. They engage very quickly. I did notice that they engage faster after I had about 18-20000 miles on it.
I have had winch problems however. Apperently Dodge added two "safety" items. One shuts the winch off it is hot and the other shuts the winch off if you have low voltage. Both of these "safety" items have failed me. I have gotten rid of them and only have two wires now, the big black and the big red, just like a Warn winch that you would buy. I contacted Warn and they suggested to bypass both of them.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:29 AM
Rgory
Rookie

Well my lockers still engage itermitently (sp?) I can get them to lock but wouldnt want to rely on them in a pinch. It is more of a process, I only have 4500 on the truck so maybe it needs more break in time or cleaning/new diff fluid. I do know that I had problems with the winch safety features as well. I believe I blew the overheat switch. I was very suprised when dodge covered the overheat switch but opted to swap out the whole winch cable and all, caught a break there. But I am hoping, just hoping, that there maybe a cure-all for the intermitent lockers out there.

Take care.

Ryan

Old 06-30-2007, 08:34 PM
The_Bishop
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find that my lockers engage just fine if I go into 4-low, shift into first gear, then twist the ****. Within 10-20 seconds I'm locked. They won't engage initially if you're moving more than 7 miles per hour.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:23 PM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Yellowsally

05 power wagon My lockers work fine. They engage very quickly. I did notice that they engage faster after I had about 18-20000 miles on it.
I have had winch problems however. Apperently Dodge added two "safety" items. One shuts the winch off it is hot and the other shuts the winch off if you have low voltage. Both of these "safety" items have failed me. I have gotten rid of them and only have two wires now, the big black and the big red, just like a Warn winch that you would buy. I contacted Warn and they suggested to bypass both of them.
I havn't had a winch problem yet... Only pulled my Ford up a driveway so far... LOL!
Both of these safety circuits failed? I think this is a Warn design, not Dodge's. I would like to get rid of them if it could fail in the woods... when I really need it.
I didn't know these could be bypassed easily, since only the switch and power circuitry is shown on the schematic provided in the Dodge wiring diagrams book.
I see that there are two small connectors near the power cables/winch motor. and a small black box rivited to the back of the solenoid cover. Do you justunplug these connectors to disable, or do you need to jumper some of them? Warn tell you how?

Old 06-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: StarrFlight

I would 100% recommend a winch kit and two tree straps and a spare shackle!

I have been using winches (and getting stuck) for 30 years (Wow I am getting old)

The ****** blocks allow for turning your winch into a 24,000 lb pull. That greatly reduces the stress on the cables and winch. If you haveextra tree straps you canmake pulls from angles when helping others.Without the tow straps (tree straps) and shacklesit is easy to damage your cable (forget about damage to the tree!). Make sure you pre-load the winch before use. I would suggest to spoolout your cable and wind it back under moderate load (have someone help wind the cable while you have the brake on).

That way when you need it, the cable is wound tight and less likely to bind or cut.
The method I use for preload the cable is to find a long hill and winch myself up the hill while laying the cable on the drum.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: BillSchmill

I don't know if I'm reading this all correctly, but are you guys basically saying thatif you can't have reliable lockers that you'll buy winches instead? Why not put reliable aftermarket lockers in if the PW lockers suck so bad. What kind of locker are they anyway? Where didDC get the technology from? Are they electric, air, etc? I would put ARBs in if you need a selectable or Detroits if you driving offroad exclusively. [/align][/align]AND if you guys are messing with winching, please spend a couple of bucks on synthetic rope. It could save you or a friend. http://www.winchline.com[/align]
No where on that site did they say what the breaking strenght was.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 AM
ldgregory

Going to hit a number of posts to respond to. Sorry. <grin>

So has your buddy come up with a solution to locking in 4-hi or 2WD yet? The former has been a big issue for me wheeling the Rio Puerco in ABQ, NM.

My '05 PW locks up pretty quick 95% of the time. There's been a few instances where it took it a bit and me doing S-turns, backing up etc. Don't know why it acted up in those instances, but for the most part it does good. When I first got her, I read some advice about hitting the dirt every day in 4-lo and locking up. I did that semi-religously on a big patch of dirt near my house on the way home from work. I can honestly say that it seems to have worked for me. At first it would take *forever* to lock up, now, it's within about 15 feet.

I finally had the srv4wd light come on (no flashing of either locker indicator though). After reading around on the net I found someone who said to first check the fuses (mine were good), and then look at the wires going into the transfer case. Mine were completely coated with mud and packed tight. After getting rid of the mud and just flexing the wires a bit, the srv4wd light dissappeared and I haven't seen it since so far. Sitting at almost 23K miles.

As for our "own" PW group, I'd love to see that. I joined an '05 and up PW discussion list at Yahoo Groups, but it seems to be abandoned as nobody has responded to any of my posts. Could be they just don't like me too! <grin> I wouldn't mind seeing a dedicated forum here, but if that's not in the cards, I'd love to see you all on the Yahoo Groups list. Maybe we can revitalize it.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/PowerWagon/

In ABQ, I know of three (including mine) PWs. One is a buddy, the other guy always seems to be going the other direction on the other side of a divided highway from me. :-( I'll catch him one day! <grin>

If anyone is interested, I've got a TruckHacks page about my PW and some mods.
http://trucks.pcwize.com

If anyone is interested in writing up a page with pics, I'd be more than happy to put it up there. I'd love to have more pages up there about other people's trucks.

Take care.

Leif.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: M14

Another question guys, sorry for the hi-jack but there are two few PW owners out there.

Did either of you purchase a separate winch accessory kit? Are ****** blocks, tree straps, choker chains even needed? I intend NOT to get stuck buy staying away from anything that is a potential hazard.
I started a thread on what to carry as far as winching accessories a while back. Here is a link:
https://dodgeforum.com/m_908046/mpag.../tm.htm#908046

Old 08-22-2007, 12:48 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ldgregory

...As for our "own" PW group, I'd love to see that...
We could take over the Trailduster, Ramcharger, Power Wagon Group Forum on here, it's all but dead over there. It's intended for the "Old Ones", but there is alot of non-PW stuff here that applies to our 3rd Gen trucks.

Quick Reply: Power Wagon Problems-what Lockers?