3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Wagon Problems-what Lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:22 AM
StarrFlight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Wagon Problems-what Lockers?

My 2006 Power Wagon is in round two at the dealer for the same problem. The service 4x4 light comes on and the rear locker light flashes.

1st trip they replaced a torched bearing in the rear end and said that it was the metal shavings that caused the problem. The mechanic wanted to replace all the bearing but Dodge would not authorize so they only replaced the one bearing. One week later both front and rear lockers failed tolock inand the dealer has no idea why? My PW has been in the shop 4 out of the last 8 weeks.

Anyone else have similar problems? I have read several threads on the topic and it would seem that others have had issues getting the lockers to work. Runing in circles, cutting tracts in the sand and even plowing into dirt banks will not cause the lockers to work.

If anyone found a dealer who has identified and fixed the problem, any info would be of great help

I am just about ready to ask for a new truck but not sure of the lemon law. I am investigating now.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Jimmy1
Amateur
Default RE: Power Wagon Problems-what Lockers?

I have had nothing but problems with my lockers had them 'Fixed" 3 times now no matter what trick I try either advice from this fourm or the manual they dont work if I drive around in slow circles forward and back for 45 minutes sometimes and I say sometimes the rear will lock but its a tank of gas to get that to happen. Its a pain in the but t for me as the dealer is far away and never seems to have a loaner truck so on my 10k check up I will see what they say. Ill keep the fourm posted and best of luck as I know the bummer feeling of having a new machine and things come broken or do not work. Best Vibe Jimmy

Old 03-23-2007, 01:45 PM
M14
Rookie

Sorry to hear of the problems. I just got an 07 PW and tried the lockers once since. They did lock, but it took a few S-turns to get them engaged, which is the same routine required for the lockers in my Toyota Landcruiser.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Jimmy1
Amateur

yup a few S turns is one thing and burning a tank of doing S turns is another.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:46 PM
M14
Rookie

Yes, I would agree they should lock without much problem. Have you looked at the electrical connections at the diffs, check the plugs and make sure contacts are being made and not dirty. Another thought may be to ckeck fuses and or relays for the system.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:58 PM
StarrFlight

Good luck Jimmy1, M14 that is how my wagon use to work.

Well, I guess my next question is how many PW owners out there have lockers that work? If Iget a lawyer and the the dealer is forced to getting me a new PW, the last thing I want is the same thing. I will just take my $ and fix up my 1976 landcruiser. Although I need apick up for hauling my gear.

When I first got my PW the lockers worked well. My PW is primarily a hunting rig. Iuse the lockers, although most terrain I could get by without. It just makes for less stress and smoother ride when I can creep with lockers rather than run with standard 4x4 only. Here in Ariziona, slow, steep and crawl is the norm.

So if there are any 05' or 06 PW owners that have lockers that work/do not work Please post!

Many Thanks!

Old 03-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Jimmy1
Amateur

ok Ill check where exactly are these plugs/connectors ?

Old 03-23-2007, 03:07 PM
StarrFlight

M14
That is how my PW use to work. They have replaced the harness and a manual override will make the actuator work. The dealer has been on the phone with the factory and they guess it is a "computer glitch".

Old 03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
M14
Rookie

Arrg, I figured there would be more problems with the Dodge than a Toyota[:@]. Jimmy, the connections on the diffs should be pretty obvious when you crawl under. I have only been under my truck once but I was not looking at the Diff. There should be a good size wire sticking out out of each pumpkin.

You would think it would be easy for Dodge to diagnose a problem, as the lockers lock based upon a bias observed between each wheel on the axel. If the electrical signal gets to the diff they should lock, so the components to check are power at the diff connection, switch in the cab, etc.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:19 PM
M14
Rookie

ORIGINAL: StarrFlight

M14
That is how my PW use to work. They have replaced the harness and a manual override will make the actuator work. The dealer has been on the phone with the factory and they guess it is a "computer glitch".
Manual override? Is this a Dodge part I can get as I would be interested.

Quick Reply: Power Wagon Problems-what Lockers?