3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 Ram1500 Purchase: Comments and thoughts PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 05:04 PM
nagy178
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Ram1500 Purchase: Comments and thoughts PLEASE

Hey Guys, I purchased my second Ram in January. I would like some feed back (comments, tips, anything) on what I got. I feel in love with this truck after seeing it and the test drive sealed the deal. It also helped that most of the mods I usually do were already done. I will list some specs below followed by a few questions. This Ram is a little different from my 2nd gen 98QC Sport 4x4 5.2L I traded so I am wanting to understand it a little better. I've gone through and searched for some info on this forum for the new to me truck and god knows everyone here helped me with identifying many repairs on the 2nd Gen. Thanks for all the help in the past and present and let me know what you think.

2005 1500 QC SLT 4x4 (13.9K miles at purchase) Carfax and inspection had no recorders of repairs, faults, or accidents) Price:21.5k out the door
Model: dr6h41 Engine: 4.7L
Intake: Airaid Exhaust: Flowmaster 40 series
Trans: 5-45RFE F-Axle: 205mm HD
Axle Ratio: 3.55 Rear-A: 9.25 LD
Diff: Anti-spin Torque Con: Lock-up
Lift: 3in Suspension Wheels: Helo 17in. Chrome
Tires: Pro-comp M&S 35x12.50 R17
Stadard interior with aftermarket pioneer sound sytem (amp, subs, changer). I added my pioneer deck and sirius controller to there setup in the new truck.

Now I have a couple of questions. I ran searches on them and found a little bit of info but nothing that helped to much. First, When decelerating (likebraking for a stop light) I notice that somewhere around 5-10 mph the trans or TC seems like it is releasing. Is this correct due to the Lock-up torque converter?

Second, When the engine is cold I can hear a ticking sound. As it warms up it gets less and less. It can only be heard from the drivers side. You can hear it better by the front wheel well or under the chasis. If you open the hood nothing. If you drive by a wall or highway divide you hear the echo. Many friends can only slightly hear it. My initial thought was an exhaust manifold or gasket leak. Some suggested that it is probably the way the 4.7L sounds. Is this normal? Are there any suggestions? It bothers me because I know it is there so I hear it everytime and don't know what it is or if itis something I should have checked.

Again thanks for taking the time. Please give some feedback, tips, and/or comments on my purchase. I want to keep this truck for a long time. I loved my other Ram (98QC Sport 5.2L 4x4, 145k when traded) until the tranny and rear failed me. Then it was time for a newer one.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 03-25-2007, 07:36 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 05 Ram1500 Purchase: Comments and thoughts PLEASE

As far as the TC goes, no idea, but the ticking must be normal, because mine does it and two guys I work with have 4.7's that do it. My thought was that it was the valve train waiting for some oil to get there. But I dunno. Maybe the 4.7's have the "hemi tick" as well.

And I just found this. Maybe it'll help a little:

A clutch has been added to the torque converter to mechanically "lock" the engine to the transmission input shaft, eliminating the "slippage" and gaining the fuel mileage that normally lost in an automatic transmission. The clutch in a lock-up torque converter is hydraulically applied (Some are centrifugally applied). This application can be controlled by a combination of hydraulic valves, pressure switches, electric solenoids, computer signals, etc. Most lock-up converters can be "felt" applying and releasing by cruising at a speed above 50mph at a light throttle setting (not accelerating or decelerating), and gently pushing on the brake pedal (just enough to turn on the brake lights, but not enough to apply the brakes), and releasing the brake pedal SLOWLY. As you push the brake pedal down, you will feel a subtle "downshift", and as you release the brake pedal (sometimes there is a slight delay), you should feel a subtle "upshift". If you feel this happening, then your lock-up torque converter is probably working correctly.

Quick Reply: 05 Ram1500 Purchase: Comments and thoughts PLEASE