3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi on propane!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:31 PM
eds2003ram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hemi on propane!!!

how safe is this kit installed on the truck? Is it visable that maybe some a.h.could mess with it? And you guys said that the tank was about 80lbs , what kind of weight will this add on to the truck with the tanks full? Very interested being that I have a propane place just three blocks from me.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Yellowsally
Rookie

Safe? Well check out this site www.ecofuel.com . Our gov't says it is safe. I'm not worried. The site and others exlplains how unlikely it is to explode. As far as tampering with it. I guess people could with my set up with the tank in the back of the truck. About all they could do is shut the valve.
Many people have stated propane is not available in their area. They make kits for natural gas too. My dad says when he lived in Arizona in the 70's he had a truck that ran on a mixture of mostly butane. That is what was available.
I will be filling my tank from a propane tank at my house. I have a 500 gal tank that has a "wet leg". This is a valve that lets out liquid propane instead of gaseous propane like the valve on your bbq. I am willing to bet that there are areas in the US that this is not legal and you can't buy a "wet leg".

Old 03-30-2007, 05:03 PM
PeterPerlich

I have the prins system installed, look

http://www.prins-lpg.com/us/index.html

than you can download the brouchure in englisch.

It's absolutly save. my gas tank is instat of the spare tire

cu PP

Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 PM
20brewcity02
Professional

okay... i may be dumb.. but when i went to fill my gas tank for my grill they weigh the tank not go by amount (volume). and when i asked the lady she was clueless about how they would charge to fill my truck. Also, can you switch back to gas with this kit? if i go on a long trip and cant find a place to fill could i just switch back? thanks!

Old 04-14-2007, 01:22 AM
Yellowsally
Rookie

This kit I have is a dual fuel. You can run either gasoline or propane. Infact, my truck starts on gasoline even if switched to propane. Once the propane is warmed up enough to vaporize, the O2 sensors are reading , and a few other things are "right" the system just automatically switches to propane.
When I get propane it is by the gallon. I get it from a distributor or the friendly guy driving the propane truck. I have purchased it at places that sell propane like truck stops and gas stations. They sell by the gallon, but usually charge more. I have never taken a long trip over several states, so I do not know how hard it would be to find propane. But I do know that to run gas all I do is push a button. Scott

Old 04-14-2007, 02:22 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion

so how many miles do you get before fill up since you have had this setup for about 2-3 weeks? i see you typed at first that the chevy got 3000 before fill up?!?!?!?!?! wow!!!!!! well, if you can tell us your current MPG and how many miles you get to the tank (1 gas, and the other in propane would be great!) that would be greatly appreciated! thank you!

Old 04-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Yellowsally
Rookie

Now remember that 3,000 on a tank of gasoline means that the truck is running on propane all of the time except for the start up. The engine starts on gasoline and then switches to propane. ---As for what I am getting on the Power Wagon, I can't tell you yet. I have had it back for about 10 days, but I have only been able to drive it to work. I only drive 5 miles one way. Needless to say I have not used much fuel. Also I didn't start with a full tank of gasoline or propane. It will take me some time. The kit is working great however, we are still working out a couple of bugs. Sometimes it idles rough, not rough but rpm goes up and down, and sometimes the mixture is a little lean. The biggest problem is I don't have time to drive it. These are both programming issues that can be fixed with a phone call. I will let you all know how it is going when I get a chance to drive it more. The installer is also sending me some pics of how he worked on the intak man and other install shots. I will share them all.
I know everbody is wanting to know about power. I will say that if you want to do this conversion to gain power--- don't. I am not sure if I have more power or not. It is very very very close to that of gasonline.My first impression is maybe a little less right off idle and the same or more in midrange. I never drive near redline so I don't know. This may be related to my programming issues and will work themselves out. I'm not saying I don't have more power, but if I do it is a small amount and the money in for power out is not good. It is a conversion to get cheaper fuel, cleaner fuel, easier on engine, and a way to buy fuel from the USA. I'll keep you informed. Scott

Old 04-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Foiled
Veteran

If you have an 06 or 07 the instable idle is not the propane. This happens on gas also. Dodge is suppose to have an update to the PCM to correct it or to help with it.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:57 PM
boyd98
Veteran

i drive a total of 60 miles per day or more when im working (5 on 5 off) - i could see this being benificial - althoguh i do love the performance of my dodge. WOT, Flowmaster super 40 out dual out the back -

For the guys who performance tune their trucks with superchips ect, is propane still a good option - i mean, whats the downside -I guessed im confused as to why using propane as an alt fuel is not just mandatory - similar to that of the electric cars - as more cars become hybrid, why arent we seeing trux pushed off the line with this option?

im thinking there has to be some downside -am i doing the math wrong - 3000 miles per tank, 28 gallons in a tank - thats some huge as MPG numbers??

Thoughts -

Old 04-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Yellowsally
Rookie

You are doing the math wrong. I wish I wouldn't have said 3,000 miles to a tank. I am afraid I mislead people. The milage compared to gas is generally 5-10% less. If you get 15 mpg on gas expect somewhere around 14 on propane. The 3,000 miles to a tank is the place I confused people. My system has the engine start on gasoline and then switch to propane when everything is warm and "right". My intention of stating 3,000 miles for a tank of gasoline was to show that the engine does not run on gasoline for very long. As soon as the computer thinks everything is right, the fuel is switched to propane. Sometimes my truck only runs on gasoline for 3-5 seconds. Sorry for the confusion. Scott

Quick Reply: Hemi on propane!!!