3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

whining, whirring, in rear end.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:53 AM
zoazack911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whining, whirring, in rear end.

I have am 04 Ram 1500, 4x4, 5.7l hemi, 61k miles. It started to days ago. My truck started making a whirring noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. I notice it at lower mph when it is not drowned out by engine noise. I can hear it during acceleration and deceleration. It is louder when I accelerate and then quiets and lowers in pitch as I decelerate. It does not get louder when I turn so I dont think it is an axle bearing. I am unsure if this is a pinion bearing, carrier bearing, maybe a race or LSD clip popped out. I dont know. Is there any way to diagnose a diff problem without digging into it? Also when this started we had a temp drop to -50 below zero. Could this be a cold related issue? Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

zack

Old 01-30-2012, 06:31 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you probably broke the c-clip or retainer. if you just pop the cover off and drain the fluid, you'll probably find a piece of metal sitting in the bottom. If yours is making alot of noise, you might want to look and see if you see anything obvious wrong. It could lock up on you... although dodge will say its not a problem

Old 01-30-2012, 03:42 PM
broncoremy
Professional

This is possibly a serious issue and a common one for '02 to '05 1500 RAMs with the 9.25" rear with LSD. If the clips are broken you may be chewing up the rear end. Please do not let this go.

See this thread for more details
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-...s-it-pics.html

This DT thread also has a lot of information on the broken LSD clips
http://tinyurl.com/8y965tz

Also you should see D-dog's sticky about common problems
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...e-posting.html

Last edited by broncoremy; 01-30-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: edited to add a link to Dirty's sticky
Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 AM
zoazack911

Ok well thanks for the help I will rip into the diff asap. I just changed the fluid and didnt find any metal but maybe once i pop it open i will see something. thanks again.

Quick Reply: whining, whirring, in rear end.