4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bakflip HD - not so HD

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010 | 07:43 AM
Frouburg
Professional

... and my $.02 is that if you are going to pay for the F1, suck it up, pay the extra hundred or two bucks and get the mopar version. I have it and completely satisfied with the product, and am much more comfortable knowing that if I have an issue with it my dealer has already told me they will either fix it or replace it within the 3yr/36k mi warranty. They are more concerned that I come back and buy another $40k truck than to nickle and dime me over a product that would only cost them a couple of hundred bucks to replace.

Old 03-25-2010 | 10:21 AM
jmaimin
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Frouburg
So, Jmaimin, are you speaking on behalf of Bakflip?

It would be nice to hear your side of the story, and I mean the real side, not the politically correct version you put up.

My main question is, after the "customer" gives you indisputable proof that his vehicle did not sustain any hail damage, but your product failed under what could be considered a normal weather condition in the midwest, is Bakflip now going to stand behind their product?

I can tell you that this post was the only reason that I did not purchase a Bakflip cover. I spent the extra money and went with the mopar version. I went this direction so I would know that if I have an issue with the product while it is under warranty, my dealer would stand behind the product and make things right.

I too am in the customer service industry and understand that there is a fine line between customers making false claims and ones that have a legitimate complaint. I however pride myself in the fact that I believe I know when the time comes to simply cut my losses, and make the problem go away. I think this would have been the right thing to do about 6 months ago for this situation.
Hi Frouburg,

To answer your question directly, I am the president and CEO of BAK Industries, so yes, I am indeed speaking on behalf of my company.

I can say unequivocally, that our warranty policy is every bit as good, if not better than any OEM policy and that we will even honor warranty policies in many instances, beyond their expiration date in order to satisfy BAK customers.

If our tonneau covers fail in any way whatsoever, we will replace it immediately or provide components to remedy any problem you have. There's no gray area here at all.

I should tell you as well, that the Mopar product is made from THE IDENTICAL panel as the HD. They will ding EXACTLY the same. There is absolutely no difference at all. You can do your own lab tests and your result will be the same as ours. Of this I am absolutely certain.

I appreciate your engagement with us on the subject of warranty and QC.

Good luck with the Mopar cover. I hope it works out for you.

All the best,

Julian

Old 03-25-2010 | 05:28 PM
rolltidehemi
Captain

Originally Posted by Frouburg
... and my $.02 is that if you are going to pay for the F1, suck it up, pay the extra hundred or two bucks and get the mopar version. I have it and completely satisfied with the product, and am much more comfortable knowing that if I have an issue with it my dealer has already told me they will either fix it or replace it within the 3yr/36k mi warranty. They are more concerned that I come back and buy another $40k truck than to nickle and dime me over a product that would only cost them a couple of hundred bucks to replace.
Haven't personally seen the mopar cover up close, but do know its made by fold a cover which is good, do you have a polymer skin protecting the outer struct. foam panel, if not I would say the F1 is better, also did not have to remove the stake plastic cover in the front, did not want that, and F1 looks more flush on the truck, and as far as Dodge dealer CS some are awesome, and as you will find on here some plain out suck, no guarantee there either, so its a crap shoot. The only company that I have dealt with that was awesome was A.R.E. they took care of my first fiberglass tonneau for paint and crack issue, they repainted no questions had it back two weeks later, then 4 months went by and a hurricane hit and I finally brought it back cause the crack came back, they took it replaced 3 weeks later with a new and upgraded tonneau no questions, nothing about possible hurricance damage not a peep and they threw in a bunch of upgrades/accessories to it (carpeted underside, full seal, lights, would went with again but wanted to access full bed easier.

Old 03-26-2010 | 08:00 AM
Frouburg
Professional

Julian, I appreciate your sincere words, and it is nice to finally hear Bak's voice on the matter. Unfortunately, I believe that actions speak louder than words, and your actions for this particular situation does not sit well with me. It has been argued and discussed to exhaustion, so we'll let it rest.

I do hope that this thread will help other Bak customers in the future, should a similar situation ever arise.

Thank you again for your comments and if you really wanted to prove to us that Bak is going to stand behind their customers, give OldJeep a replacement cover. This would definitly speak loud and clear Bak's feelings on customer svc, and would make me think twice when I purchase my next truck on which cover I should purchase.

Regards,

Tim

Old 03-26-2010 | 02:54 PM
DodgeBrat

Originally Posted by jmaimin
Hi Frouburg,

To answer your question directly, I am the president and CEO of BAK Industries, so yes, I am indeed speaking on behalf of my company.

I can say unequivocally, that our warranty policy is every bit as good, if not better than any OEM policy and that we will even honor warranty policies in many instances, beyond their expiration date in order to satisfy BAK customers.

If our tonneau covers fail in any way whatsoever, we will replace it immediately or provide components to remedy any problem you have. There's no gray area here at all.

Julian
Ok Julian. That is a very impressive speech! Unfortunately your action's in this matter show otherwise. as well your Customer service people have demonstrated a complete opposite of what you have said.

Can you please explain to me this discrepancy?

I am still looking for a cover. But am to say the least hesitant after talking to your representatives at your company about Old Jeep's situation!

Last edited by DodgeBrat; 03-26-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2010 | 07:18 PM
rolltidehemi
Captain

I'm not trying to defend Bak, but Julian said they would repair OJs cover, maybe they are trying to right the ship maybe not, time will tell but this horse has coded, 45, call pd, have the ME haul it away. Its good info. for anyone in the market, judge for yourself, but its up to Old Jeep to take them up on the offer and others to take a chance, give em a shot or patron another product, hopefully Bak has learned a CS lesson.

Old 03-29-2010 | 12:31 AM
jmaimin
Former Vendor

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it.

In an effort to put an end to all of this, I would like to chat with Old Jeep personally. if you follow this link OJ, please call me at (818) 365-9000 tomorrow and I will personally work with you to resolve any matter.

Once again, I assure you of my absolute attention to ensuring your satisfaction.

Julian Maimin - COO
BAK Industries

Old 03-29-2010 | 05:49 PM
oldjeep
|
Champion

Been out of town for a few days, and I'm suprised to see this thread up again.

I'd like to lock the thread but on this forum it doesn't look like I can, I thought it was clear with my last post that I was done with this and Bak. After almost 6 months of BS in Dec they offered to let me give them more money to buy an F1 - I declined. It may be a better product, who knows but they are not likely to get any more $$ from me.

In Feb, they then offered to repair the cover. If they had made that offer last june/july I would have jumped on it, now there is no way that I would send my cover to them unless they paid me for it. I just don't trust them. I've got no desire to deal with these folks any more.

Old 04-01-2010 | 12:58 PM
TonyNJ

I'm glad I saw this thread, I was about to purchase this cover for my 2010 and now I will pass. Warranty and customer service speak loudly today with the power of the internet. It amazes me that vendors will hold on to any argument to save a few bucks and not please the customer.

Old 04-02-2010 | 01:14 AM
duck888ltd

I got my G2 yesterday. I am very pleased with the cover. It had a very large scratch on the center panel which I am working on getting resolved, but it is a very nice product. I didn't realize you had to lift the rear section to close the tailgate which is probably my fault for not reading, but I will admit to my mistake. Hopefully BAK will take care of the scratch and I will be a happy customer.

Thanks BAK!

Quick Reply: Bakflip HD - not so HD