4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bakflip HD - not so HD

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009 | 04:03 PM
oldjeep
|
Champion

Seemed screwy to me as well. My position is - if it didn't dent a single panel on my truck, including the aluminum hood, then the supposedly Heavy Duty BakFlip should not have been damaged.

Old 10-27-2009 | 04:09 PM
oldjeep
|
Champion

Originally Posted by jeremys88
She said something about how they called a dealer in the area and that the dealer said that every cover in his lot was damaged, not just Bakflip, and that they cannot cover an act of god blah blah, but they do still honor their warranty, just not in this case..
Just re-read this. I wonder how she would have known what area I was in? Especially since it occurred over 70 miles from my home address.

I'd also be curious to know what dealer happened to be in the same hail storm, since a hail storm is generally a pretty localized occurrance.

If that is actually what they said then I've lost what little bit of respect I still had for their company.

Old 10-27-2009 | 07:25 PM
NEVRL8

Add me to the list of people who were about to buy the Bakflip before reading this and other threads. Bakflip C'mon if you would have just worked with this guy you could have sold several more from this thread alone! I have owned my ram for three months now and have spent over $4000.00 in after market parts already, so I am not just blowing smoke. Bakflip you are loosing sales.

Old 10-27-2009 | 09:15 PM
busa_tom

i really like the look and features of their product, now I can't buy this product after reading this thread. Oh well, back to the research dept!

Old 10-28-2009 | 09:14 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

The few DEALERS of these type products I have been to shopping had NONE mounted on ANY vehicles much less a lot full of them.Soft covers would not have been damaged.Their ad STATES whats been posted plus NO dents on the vehicle.I dealt with a EMC of a electrocuted horse and they tried the ACT OF GOD reasoning until I said SHOW ME/PROVE that GOD had a THING to do with a power line falling.Then they tried the LIGHTING thing.The line had no burns spots in it.I said SHOW ME where lighting did this.Then I mentioned small claims court and THEN they decided to handle the claim.Got a check in less then 10days for $1845.00.I priced the colt at $1800 not a unreasonable amount for what he was plus $45 bucks to bury him.Anyhow suing in small claims court is not hard or very costly. I had a electrical forensic engineer tell me what to say about the act of god and lighting issue.Said he had won huge lawsuits almost as simply.

Last edited by hounddogg; 10-29-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2009 | 02:53 PM
oldjeep
|
Champion

I was curious about the info given to Jeremys88 so I sent this to BakFlip. We'll see if I get any response

I'm curious if you would like to comment on this thread about your product? Apparently someone called you after reading it and was told that you had some information from a local dealer about the severity of hailstorm that damaged my BakFlip (Yet left my truck and aluminum hood without a dent)? If that is true, then I'm curious to know where this dealer is located and how you would have had any idea where my truck was parked when the damage occurred?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...not-so-hd.html

Old 10-28-2009 | 07:26 PM
moparfreak77
Rookie

Thats why when I bought my Balflip I specified no HD. I think the plastic one will stand up better than aluminum.

Old 10-29-2009 | 12:39 PM
Frouburg
Professional

Add me to the list of people who would have bought a backflip too... I just had the dealer order me a Mopar one after reading this thread as I don't want any b.s. like this if there is a major issue with the product.

I think it is their loss... even if they would settle with you, I don't think I would rethink my decision. This situation highlights their overall customer service approach which seams pretty clear that it is to screw the customer over.

Old 10-29-2009 | 08:04 PM
oldjeep
|
Champion

Oddly enough I got an email today from BAK. Not too sure what to think of it because I can't quite tell what they are offering me. They sure are fond of the "Act of God" thing. It sounds like the want to allow me to buy some other new cover that they are making which might be more heavy duty. Can't really tell from the description and there's zero info on the web about this "F1". I asked for a clarification on what this would cost me if I accepted, although I doubt I'd be willing to give them much of anything over the $800+ I already spent for the cover I have now.

If it wasn’t you who’d given me your name and area you live in to research the damage of the hail storm, then I apologize. A few months ago I received a call from a customer who had received golf ball sized hail damage to his vehicle. When I contacted a dealership in the area he lived, I was informed that the entire lot of vehicles which had Tonneau covers on them (not only BAK covers) received considerable damage and the dealership was filing an insurance claim since he knew it wasn’t a warranty issue. There is no way for BAK to depict the intensity or severity of a hail storm and therefore any act of God is never considered under a warranty claim.

I would however I like to help you resolve this issue. We have recently unveiled a new product called the BakFlip F1 which is made of fiberglass reinforced polymer. This cover has been launched as a heavy duty piece for the person who is pretty hard on their vehicles, and require the top of their cover to be utilized as well as the bed of the vehicle. The F1 is about $100 more than the HD and I will be happy to assist you in getting one at my cost to manufacture it.

Old 10-29-2009 | 08:10 PM
crod
All Star

i ended up getting my issue fixed, by ME... i have an early build with an out of spec bed. long story short after hours on the phone. we came to a way to "rig" my cover. im ok with it. but its still not perfect.... just "ok".

their customer service sucks.

on that note. EXTANG. HANDS DOWN. is probably the best company in the industry for warranites. i had the president drop a cover off at my house once...... they go above and beyond. given i live 30min. from their manufacturing. i was really impressed. i just wish i would have bought one from them again. instead.....

Quick Reply: Bakflip HD - not so HD