4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

I can't emphasize enough...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default I can't emphasize enough...

How important it is for you guys to throw an old coat or a blanket or something of the like over the middle of a tow or recovery strap when pulling someone or something out of being stuck!

Most of us "winch guys" have known all along the importance of this, but I'm sure a lot of guys don't know to do this with a recovery strap as well!

Stories abound about serious injuries and even deaths resulting from being hit by a flying metal projectile!

I just read this today:

http://leadercall.com/local/x2238598...freak-accident

Old 08-16-2010, 08:42 PM
JRI
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point! Unless you have the experience behind you it is not something that many people think about. That guy was very lucky the rear window was between him and the hook, if not he'd probably be dead.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:13 AM
frogslinger
Captain

Does not work... I could show you the math but it is boring... it suffices to say that the energy from a whiplashing cable far exceeds the damping potential of a blanket... the cable carries more energy than a bullet... a blanket will do little against that.

In reality you need to get a specifically designed weighting device. Most winching sites will be able to direct you in the right direction. 2-3 lbs is the minimum.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Save your math, does work, have seen it work at MANY Off-Road parks and events through the years. HAVE SEEN WARN SAFETY DEMOS WITH MY OWN EYES SHOW HOW A SIMPLE MOVING BLANKET WILL DIRECT THE FORCE DOWNWARD!!!

From the Warn Tech Guide:

Heavy Blanket In certain
situations you may
decide to throw a
heavy blanket
or similar
object
over the
wire rope. A heavy
blanket, such as a
quilted mover’s blanket, can
absorb energy should the wire rope
break. Place it on the wire rope midway
between the winch and the anchor
point. Do this before the wire rope is
put under tension.Do not approach or
move the blanket once tension is
applied.Do not allow it to get pulled
into the fairlead. If necessary to move
or remove the blanket, slack the tension
on the wire rope first.

MATH says bees can't fly either, I can show you different there as well...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-19-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 AM
frogslinger
Captain

Math says bees can not glide. Which they can not... much like helicopters can not glide, which is the other example given by the misinformed about the proported failures of math and science.

If you stop their motion a bee's wings are of an innapropriate size and shape to generate the lift required to keep from falling like a stone. This is exactly the same thing that happens to a helicopter. If you drop a dead bee it falls almost straight down... if you drop a dead bird with rigour mortis with wings extended it has a glide path. That is all this tired truism describes.

Interestingly this adaption is what allows a bee to hover and back up so efficiently. Not being restricted to the requirements of generating lift by forcing air over a foil allows it to maneuver so much more adroitly. I allows allows more dynamic instability, a feature being incorporated into modern fighter aircraft. The downside is that conventional lift-thrust-drag-gravity balancing is far more efficent energy wise. A bee (or hummingbird or a helicopter) uses far more energy to remain aloft than a butterfly (or albatros or airbus) of the same weight would. This is why hovering animals need to eat pure sugar (nectar) and hovering aircraft need such frequent refueling.

All hovering objects stay aloft by turning thrust downward... they are supported by the movement of the air they are displacing downward, not the motion of air over their wings... to hover you need to produce 1 lb of thrust per lb you weigh, wheras there is far less thrust (well under 1/4 lbs of thrust per lb of load) to fly due to a foil. In order to lift off a force greater than 1-1 is needed if you use thrust instead of lift.

This was one of the key factors in play in the development of VTOL aircraft (like the navy version of the F-35 JSF). Watch a harrier take off... its engine is screaming to get it to lift off, and yet its acceleration is very slow (all in the y-axis). Once it starts moving forward, its acceleraton is greatly increased (in the x axis), even though thrust is unchanged.

This is vaguely annalogous to why you can push a truck along the road but cannot dead lift it, though this is a gross oversimplification.

Last edited by frogslinger; 08-20-2010 at 06:54 AM.

Quick Reply: I can't emphasize enough...