4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Lucas additive

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:29 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use good quality oil and leave the Lucas junk out.Oil forums bash it pretty good but they do most all additives.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:52 PM
brettj2408
Captain

if you have a hemi with mds the stabilizer will set a code for wrong viscosity.
change your oil with GF-4 or above oil every 3,000 - 5,000 miles with no stabilizers or additives

Old 11-12-2010, 11:03 PM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 72combo
Why wait, if you don't like the ticking change the oil. I do mine at 5000 KM's or the most we have gone was 4 months only because we only had 1500 km's on the oil and it was clean still so at 4 months it had 2200 and was brown, still could have waited but I can't wrap my mind around this watery oil lasting longer than 5w30..back in the day I used 10w 40 in summer and 10 30 in winter that was just it. Now a high performance engine with water or oil, I was told no additives to the engine oil not a good plan, does not work well with the MDS . Now if it is thin like the oil is why not? I would not put a can of that stuff that is like honey at 90 degrees and like cement in the winter. Is Lucas the one Carroll Shelby endorses and soaks into the metal? I so I bet that one would be fine, in fact I am considering it myself.
He he...actually I try to change it around 3 to 4000 miles however I am late as we speak! But I like the comment about it turning to cement though, that's funny, lol! My motor is coming out soon after Jan 2011 anyway (a yr later than I had originally planed). If I were to keep it, I would upgrade the lifters to 6.1 among other things. Anyways, I had to do a lot of research to finally make a decision on what's going in and a Gen 111 didn't pan out. Second, I spent too much money on my fixer upper house this yr and need to claim the build on next yrs income. As of now, the build is personal until I mod the frame and body for fit. I will say this much, I'm going with an Indy Chrysler motor (not a gen 111) and a Chevy transmission...both with stand alone control units unless I change my mind when the time comes. Regardless, I won't be going with another gen 111 for extreme high performance untill they improve on the cons...there are too many, lol!

Old 11-13-2010, 01:50 PM
72combo
Champion

Wow I can't wait to see what you are up to it sounds like fun.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:04 PM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05Dakotaho
I know, after reading your posts for a year, that you know better than that.

He he...actually I don't, I only know what I have read...just as you seem to have about me, lol! But let me rephrase some of that and elaborate, the STP and the water thing was kind of a **** poor joke. I am not too good at explaining or speaking clearly about what's on my mind. The ticking has only happened twice, once on a very cold winter morning and it was loud and another when I went over 5000 miles. What is aggravating is having to listen for it and worry every time I crank my truck up...or constantly listening for an irregular valvetrain sound echoing off the wall while driving through a fast food restaurant, he he! Call me crazy I guess, lol!

Old 11-13-2010, 08:56 PM
rrdstarr
Rookie

The only Gas treatment I have seen that works is BG44K, but that is a gas treatment not an oil treatment. Change the oil regularly and the vehicle will last.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default no oil addtives but I do use the Lucas gas stabilizer

I agree with ya'll on adding anything to my oil. I do however, use the Lucas gas stabilizer in my 1970 Grand Wagoneer (4WD, Warn Hubs, Buick 350 with a Turbo 400), my chainsaws and law-movers. I live in the city but have a place in the woods and things sit around so I like to add the gas stabilizer. I've never had any problems with it. Since 3 months or more go by between visits sometimes, I add the stabilizer. Maybe I'm throwing good money away but it seems to work for me

Old 11-17-2010, 12:59 AM
ken99
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
I agree with ya'll on adding anything to my oil. I do however, use the Lucas gas stabilizer in my 1970 Grand Wagoneer (4WD, Warn Hubs, Buick 350 with a Turbo 400), my chainsaws and law-movers. I live in the city but have a place in the woods and things sit around so I like to add the gas stabilizer. I've never had any problems with it. Since 3 months or more go by between visits sometimes, I add the stabilizer. Maybe I'm throwing good money away but it seems to work for me
Gasoline and engine oil are two different things. Components in gasoline volatilize. Using a stabilizer makes sense if the gas is sitting around for any time. You don't need to stabilize the gas for the chain saws. The 2-cycle oil you add to the mix also serves to stabilize the gasoline quite well.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:34 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i used Lucus in my 96 Sunfire i had...had a slight wrappin sound at 135K....used Lucus every oil change. i sold the car at 197K, and she was still running like a top, and the wrap began to go away after a few oil changes.....

Ive used it in my RAM...and i didnt notice any difference, aside from oil psi going up by about 5 psi....

Ill use it, just for the fact that its never hurt my motor.

Restore: Engine Treatment did the best for my PSI, but i wouldnt use that vey oil change....seems kinda chunky, and i have the feeling that some of the compounds in the Restore could scratch the cylinder walls....just my .02 cents

Old 11-25-2010, 01:31 PM
M15
Veteran

Had great results with high mileage engines.100k+

Quick Reply: Lucas additive