4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Buying Advice: New RAM 1500 Crew

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:59 PM
NKNetUSA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Buying Advice: New RAM 1500 Crew

Hey all, I'm in the market for a new Dodge RAM 1500 Crew and was hoping for some of your advice on what to expect in terms of actual sale prices and dealer negotiation (this will be only my 2nd new vehicle).

I've been configuring my RAM online using the Dodge/RAM website, and come up with an MSRP of around $36,000 after $4500 in incentives. What I'm wondering is:

1. How much lower can I expect to be able to negotiate the price with a typical dealer (not counting national incentives - I just want to know how far to push the dealer on top of company incentives)?

2. Do I assume correctly that the national incentives listed online do not come out of the dealer's pocket, so a dealer shouldn't be using these to say "Look how much I've already come down from the MSRP."? I'm guessing it would make sense to first agree with the dealer on what the national incentives are, and then haggle from there re: how much the dealer will cut his margin on the sale, correct?

3. If I can't find the truck I want on a given dealer's lot, should I expect more/less/the same dealer discounts if I have the dealer trade it from another dealership that does, or what about if I factory order it?

4. Any advice on what time of year/what month typically brings the best Dodge/RAM sales and incentives?

Thank you all!

NKNetUSA

Old 01-21-2011, 01:06 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Around the Houston area, they were discount around $10K off sticker. That was on the 2010 models, but I think it was on the 2011 as well. Have you gone to a dealer yet? Check out your local dealer's website. Sometimes, they will have internet pricing also. Remember to check multiple dealers.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience with ordering new trucks is to negotiate for as close to as dealer invoice as possible. The dealer makes money on the truck without having to put it on the lot so they like the orders. They get incentives from Chrysler on top of their invoice price. If you offer invoice they will come back with a sob story about how they won't make any money, blah, blah, blah - that's B.S. Somewhere between invoice up to maybe $500 over and they'll jump all over it.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:09 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to pay cash for mine after coming to a deal with incentives and finance the ttl but was flat out told NO, lol! They told me that I had to finance at least 15k and with "Chrysler only" to be eligible for all of the incentives. My truck is a plain Jane ST with an MSRP of around 26,700 as I remember. They said the best they could do was 22,300 "cash only" but it would have tapped my bank account. So I went to my banker for help about the said deal with 19k and borrowed 6k at 523 for 12 months. For some reason, the dealer gave my banker a hard time with the numbers I was quoted but eventually gave in. I don't know if I got a good deal or not but I know it was better than 15k for four years even with all the incentives. And BTW...my truck build was 2/11/09 and I purchased it on 3/3/09 so it must have not been on the lot long. But it was the only RCSB Hemi within a 150 mile radius at the time and it had 3.92 gears and tow package so I had to get it...good deal or not.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:08 PM
coolatc
Rookie

Probably goes without saying, but get the options you want up front as they are cheaper to install during the build rather than retro fit. My 2009 Laramie came without the back up camera. This option was listed as $270 on the sticker of other trucks, but now that I want to retro fit my truck with it, the dealer wants. $280 for the parts and $300 for the install. Get what you want when ordering because it will cost more to retro fit. Theres my 2 cents....

Old 01-22-2011, 06:20 PM
72combo
Champion

Great deals in Canada, I am shopping for a second RAM, I can get 11 loaded to the gills for less than I bought in 09 with less options. Price has dropped around 2 grand here to start with maybe they are finally trying to get fair since the dollar is almost par.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Patsfan
Professional

It has to do with time of year and incentives offered. I bought my 10 in May and the incentives added up to 8500. I brought in an invoice from a GM dealer with about the same discount and they droped 10k off the sticker and threw in a LineX spray. I had a trade to go with the deal but was offered the same as GM did. I agree that you should try to get everything you want on the truck from the start. It will cost alot more going back to the dealership. Although, things like exhaust and running boards can be bought aftermarket for a decent price and the customization is what you'll probably want anyway.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:09 PM
NKNetUSA

Thanks for the advice, everyone - I'm the type that likes to research a purchase like this to death so I definitely appreciate it.

Right now I am leaning towards factory ordering my truck - I'm not in a huge rush to get it, and I figure I should be able to find a dealer who will give me a good deal on this kind of transaction since all they're really doing is some middleman paperwork, right...?

NKNetUSA

Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Brad42756
Default Best price on a 2011

I did all the internet research before buying my 2011 Big Horn at the end of the year. The best information I walked into the dealership with was the Truecar.com price guarantee from 3 other dealers.
The site lets you get actual quotes from dealers close to your area. These are prices that are usually below dealer invoice. What I heard from all the dealers I visited (even those that I did not get a price guarantee from) was "if they can give that price so can we". Make sure you print out the prices they give you before visiting a dealership. In the end, I bought my truck at the closest dealership at 8k under the sticker price. Try the truecar site yourself; it costs you nothing but your email address.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:06 PM
USAF1
Professional

Don't know where you are located, I got $9,600 off sticker about a year ago on a 2010 TRX4 quad cab with lots of goodies, and they threw in a line-x bed spray. Every time I went to that dealership, I was the only one on the lot or in the showroom - think that helped - things were really slow back then.

Quick Reply: Buying Advice: New RAM 1500 Crew