4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

09-11 Chrome Clad Wheel Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Steve Endres
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09-11 Chrome Clad Wheel Corrosion

Our 2009 Crew Cab 2wd 1500 Ram was purchased the end of July of 09 and showed signs of corrosion on the 5 spoke chrome clad wheels the first winter at approximately 3,500 mi. We are now into the second winter and the wheels are now turning green in the tight corners or crevices of the wheels and we do not yet have 11,000 mi. on it. Some people on this forum have told others that they are not keeping their trucks clean enough or that they need to put ceramic brake pads on. That is total B.S. What Dodge dealership do they work for? We have kept our truck clean and waxed all year round. The wheels are made in China. So much for buying American made.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:39 PM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by Steve Endres
Our 2009 Crew Cab 2wd 1500 Ram was purchased the end of July of 09 and showed signs of corrosion on the 5 spoke chrome clad wheels the first winter at approximately 3,500 mi. We are now into the second winter and the wheels are now turning green in the tight corners or crevices of the wheels and we do not yet have 11,000 mi. on it. Some people on this forum have told others that they are not keeping their trucks clean enough or that they need to put ceramic brake pads on. That is total B.S. What Dodge dealership do they work for? We have kept our truck clean and waxed all year round. The wheels are made in China. So much for buying American made.
"RAM" really stands for "Ram`s A Mistake"
I`m getting rid of my mistake and buyin a ford or a chevy next time around

Last edited by HEMI5150; 01-30-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Steve Endres

Maybe it also stands for "RAM it to the customer".

Old 01-30-2011, 12:56 PM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Maybe it also stands for "RAM it to the customer".
Steve, i have to agree with you...!
Being that dodge has to try and sell more than ford and chevy, we get "rammed" harder buying dodge rams.
Good luck to ya budd, on getting them to replace your corroded wheels, they wouldnt do fuggin SH_T for me.
Next time around, i`m going with a ford or a chevy, cetainly cant be any worse off, an its time for a change anyway.

Last edited by HEMI5150; 01-30-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM
topgun
Captain

Just posted the other day that mine are starting to peel in the corners. Had the clads on my 05 and no issues. Like the 09 wheels a lot better but they are peeling. Off to the dealer when the weather breaks and I can get them cleaned up so we can see just how bad they are. Kinda hard to keep them clean when the temperature hasn't been over freezing for weeks on end.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Steve Endres

Hopefully Dodge will do the right thing and replace our wheels. Everyone with bad chrome clad wheels and other chrome will have to contact Dodge and complain. Sending an email is the best. You then will have a record of the complaint and are given Reference and Case Numbers. They still haven't replaced any of our chrome but, I have proof of an early on problem in case it should come down to a Class Action Lawsuit. Also, if they do replace any chrome how long will it last? I have heard that they will only replace it once if they do replace chrome.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 AM
capsfloyd
Captain

When I bought mine I looked at those, did not like them. I have the brushed alium. ..like those . My wife's jeep liberty 2010 has the chrome clad, no problems yet?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:39 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HEMI5150
Steve, i have to agree with you...!
Being that dodge has to try and sell more than ford and chevy, we get "rammed" harder buying dodge rams.
Good luck to ya budd, on getting them to replace your corroded wheels, they wouldnt do fuggin SH_T for me.
Next time around, i`m going with a ford or a chevy, cetainly cant be any worse off, an its time for a change anyway.
At least with Chevy you get a "BUMPER TO BUMPER" warranty huh, lol!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
At least with Chevy you get a "BUMPER TO BUMPER" warranty huh, lol!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 AM
72combo
Champion

I think RAM bashers on a Dodge Forum should be excommunicated. No use for RAM bashers, all the car companies have their problems. I have on 09 RAM with non of the problems being mentioned, don't know if my wheels are peeling to cold and dirty out there to bother trying to wash them to find out. If they are I will get them replaced by the dealer no issues. I have 2 issues right now waiting on a new heated mirror and module whatever that is, seems they must have loosened the plug on my mic for the uconnect cuz since going there the sound from the radio when you are talking thru bluetooth its sounds like a loose connection. I suspect they must have pulled it out from its protected spot. Will wait on the mirror then take care of it.

Quick Reply: 09-11 Chrome Clad Wheel Corrosion