4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Train

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:46 PM
evan4434
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Train

Here is a photo of my 2009 hemi vvt 2500 with 3.73 gears pulling about 8,000 lbs with the boat attached behind my camper. I got 10.5 mpg at about 65 to 70 mpg. The hemi pulled it very good.

Attached Thumbnails Train-tran3.jpg  
Old 06-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Stunna980
Rookie

Did it down shift alot?

Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 PM
evan4434
Professional

No, the only time it had to down shift was on hills and it would go from 4th to 3rd. Once I hit the top of the hill it was back in 4th. As far as I am concerned these hemis do pretty darn good considering it is only a 5.7. My stock 2002 cummins 5.9 did not pull as good until I put a chip on it. My 2004.5 5.9 and my 2008 6.7 pulled much better, but they had a lot more torque. I just cannot see getting a newer diesel again unless you are pulling over 10,000 lbs, or pulling something large a lot of the time. I get pretty darn good mpg for a gasser and it is a wash when you consider how much more diesel fuel cost now.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Swapping over to a hydroboost for better brakes I bet would be nice when that thing wants to push you.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Swapping over to a hydroboost for better brakes I bet would be nice when that thing wants to push you.
I considered buying a diesel just for the fact to have one. I loved the way they sounded, the power you get out of them is incredible. I would be towing every so often too... However when I priced the two out, I didn't want to pay an extra 12 grand just to get it.
There was rumors about Ram dealing with cummins to make a small block 4.3 diesel or something. Specifically designed for half tonnes, small weight same amount of torque you would get out of a stock gasser. It seems however they have abolished that idea, I think I would have liked that.

I do however love my HEMI, and for 12 grand cheaper it pulls its weight when I need it to. I don't do a lot of pulling, but when I pull our 30' holiday trailer, it pulls that like a dream. (with my 1500!) Other then a "little bit" of sag and some bouncyness, it pulls it very well. However there are still some days I see the guys with their tuned diesels, spuing black smoke. Some days I wish I was apart of that, but I know that the price difference can buy a lot of fuel in that time. Not to mention I see the bills for parts for these things and its unreal. Each to their own.

PS...What on earth did you do to your truck Weed! Nice to see you in the fourth gen section

Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

THX. Im over here a bit but I lurk more than I need to post as you guys over here are more calm and less needy....LOL

Probably because there isnt as many of you as the 3rd Gen yet.

BUT.....you know I took everything (hydroboost related) off a 3rd Gen CTD and put it on my truck right? Makes a world of difference

Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
THX. Im over here a bit but I lurk more than I need to post as you guys over here are more calm and less needy....LOL

Probably because there isnt as many of you as the 3rd Gen yet.

BUT.....you know I took everything (hydroboost related) off a 3rd Gen CTD and put it on my truck right? Makes a world of difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZrjWl0-CI
Good to know!
There aren't but we are all still under warranty haha!

I meant those fancy lights that seem to "highlight" parts of your truck? Haha...

As far as the hyrdoboost goes I have never even heard of that being done...Do you experience any over braking or touchy brakes? As in a different pedal range of activation? Sounds like a pretty neat thing...I wish sometimes I didn't get such sweet prices with dodge. Otherwise instead of upgrading every so often I would do these mods on my trucks. Its such a shame that they don't accredit you for your mods...

Old 06-21-2012, 01:31 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

A hydroboost conversion is usually done on trucks that are dropped low and the brake boost is big and bulky and gets in the way. So it is swapped out for a small more compact unit such as a hydroboost. Old schoolers (and even those of today) will use it for high lift cams with longer duration or tighter LSA where the engine would produce less vacuum. Remember that brake boosters work off vacuum so if you dont have enough, you dont get good brakes.

They make universal hydro boost setups you can buy but they get pricey. I think I bought my setup fro a CTD getting parted out on another board for maybe 150 or so. I really dont remember exactly but it wasnt a lot IMO.

Touchy brakes? No. More firm and less travel? Yes. Better stopping? Gosh yes.

I run ceramic pads 1) for less dust on my chrome rims and 2) better braking since I do still pull a full 16ft trailer from time to time. Having big and heavy 24" rims and 36" A/T's is a huge weight upgrade and a lot of rotating mass that needs to be kept in check and controlled when the time comes to stop. The hydroboost conversion does all of it for me.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Tunaman
Veteran

Originally Posted by evan4434
No, the only time it had to down shift was on hills and it would go from 4th to 3rd. Once I hit the top of the hill it was back in 4th. As far as I am concerned these hemis do pretty darn good considering it is only a 5.7. My stock 2002 cummins 5.9 did not pull as good until I put a chip on it. My 2004.5 5.9 and my 2008 6.7 pulled much better, but they had a lot more torque. I just cannot see getting a newer diesel again unless you are pulling over 10,000 lbs, or pulling something large a lot of the time. I get pretty darn good mpg for a gasser and it is a wash when you consider how much more diesel fuel cost now.
Don't forget fuel mileage buddy! The new diesels are terrible fuel hogs! My nephew has an 07 3500 duality Dodge Cummins, get 17-20 mpg, pulling his lawn service trailer every day. A friend of his likes it o much he bought a 2012, with ll the pollution crap, gets 11 mpg! Another friend owns an older Cummins, got 21 mrg from N.J. Hauling a back hoe! Just traded an f- 250 dual turbo diesel. Pulled like a bull! 73,000 miles, never saw 16mpg for a tankful, even empty, on a trip. Unless you unhook the pollution crap the mileage is terrible!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 PM
evan4434
Professional

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Don't forget fuel mileage buddy! The new diesels are terrible fuel hogs! My nephew has an 07 3500 duality Dodge Cummins, get 17-20 mpg, pulling his lawn service trailer every day. A friend of his likes it o much he bought a 2012, with ll the pollution crap, gets 11 mpg! Another friend owns an older Cummins, got 21 mrg from N.J. Hauling a back hoe! Just traded an f- 250 dual turbo diesel. Pulled like a bull! 73,000 miles, never saw 16mpg for a tankful, even empty, on a trip. Unless you unhook the pollution crap the mileage is terrible!
Totally agree I would not buy any newer diesel anymore. Thank you EPA. I had always owned diesels my whole life. Then I got a 6.7 cummins with a DPF, and it made me so sick I would never buy any diesel again with a DPF or DEF combo system. I tired to get back in a 5.9 cummins, but no dealer would give me anywhere near kbb blue book trade in value. So I ended up with a newer hemi 2500, and it does what I need it to. I would love to have my 2004.5 cummins back again.

Quick Reply: Train