4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Nitto Trail Grappler or Goodyear Duratrac

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011 | 01:45 PM
u8racing
Amateur

Originally Posted by brianandbosko
Hey there U8Racing,
Do you have any pics of your truck with those tires on them? Thats about the size that Im looking for. Also, did you put a lift or a leveling kit on yours? If so, which one?
Leveled with a 2" Rev-Tech. I have a BDS lift but have not had a chance to install it yet.

Attached Thumbnails Nitto Trail Grappler or Goodyear Duratrac-picture-001.jpg  
Old 08-26-2011 | 02:22 PM
spoon
Professional

how is the ride with these tires? Is it rough? Do you run them at 60psi?

Old 08-29-2011 | 12:57 PM
u8racing
Amateur

The ride is great, not quite as smooth as the stock tires, but you wont get a ride like that from any performance/aggressive tire.

35psi max, same as the tire sticker in the door jamb.

Last edited by u8racing; 08-29-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2011 | 01:02 PM
u8racing
Amateur

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You obviously don't read a lot of tire threads, do you?

It's rare to find a poor review of a Nitto (unless you read about how LOUD their Mud Grapplers are).
I put Terra Grapps on my Grand Cherokee based on the plethora of great reviews I've read across probably a dozen forums.

Now in my experience, Goodyear and BFG are the most over-priced, under-achieving tires on the market.

I've only had major problems with three sets of tires in my life, one set of Goodyear Wranglers, a set of BFG A/Ts and the BFG Traction T/As that were on my GC when I bought it.
I've had BFGs cup, wear very unevenly and pretty quickly. The T/As on my Jeep had five plugs I put in them when I yanked them off, ONE CAUSED BY A DRIED COTTON PLANT STALK THAT PUNCTURED IT. That one was the last "straw" and they got yanked in favor of the Nittos. Two years now, I go all the same places (my farm, camping, etc.) and I have yet to need to plug one...
That’s interesting, because I was at Americas Tire this weekend the get my tires rotated and asked them to price the Trail Grapplers in the same size, 411.00 each for the Duratrac and 435.00 each for the Grapplers.

Old 08-29-2011 | 02:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by u8racing
That’s interesting, because I was at Americas Tire this weekend the get my tires rotated and asked them to price the Trail Grapplers in the same size, 411.00 each for the Duratrac and 435.00 each for the Grapplers.
How big of a tire you talkin'? Cause hell, I can get 37" Mickey Thompsons which are about the best truck tire on the planet and be under $400 per tire!

I paid $127.50 each for the Terra Grapplers on my Grand Cherokee. 265/70/17s or basically 31.5" x 10.5"... My price on 35x12.5x17 Trail Grapplers is $264 per at my local tire store, btw.

You gotta really shop tires, I have a good hunting buddy owns two tire/repair shops in south Georgia. I originally wanted Mickey Thompson ATZs for my Grand Cherokee but his price was over $200 a tire, whereas he could get me into the Terra Grapplers, same size for $127.50.

The difference, his regular supplier was Nitto/Toyo direct, whereas he had to order the Mickey Thompsons from another supplier. Not only a higher price tire but also a higher tier price for him due to lower volume. Another major cost factor was the Nittos would come for free on his normal twice a week delivery truck whereas he had to pay shipping on the Mickey's, which was $32 per tire...

Old 08-29-2011 | 02:37 PM
MiRamDriver
Professional

You have to remember that the majority of us are running 20's though and that increases the cost substantially. I paid $412.50/tire for my duratracs OTD and installed. That was with some serious negociating and shopping.

Old 08-29-2011 | 03:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

This trend toward bigger and bigger wheels just amazes me, and not just Dodge! 20s on a 4x4 are about as useful as giving Rosie O'Donnell a box of condoms unless you are gonna WAY overlift an IFS truck and slap 37s or larger on it.

I belong to a hunting club with about 65 members, almost all of who have a lifted pickup and we laugh our collective a$$es off when a prospective member drives 4x4 with 20s (OR LARGER) looking to join. We know that summbiotch is gonna get towed out the swamps his first time in.

There is just NO sidewall for flex or floatation and you can forget airing down!

I don't blame most guys who buy 'em, cause it's all they put on the lots anymore, but the guys who buy these big honkin' wheels just to OVERPAY for tires in 20" are nuts in my opinion, unless they have a 2WD or plan on mall hopping that 4x4. Hell my stock 20s lasted THREE DAYS before I replaced them with 17's and if they'da cleared the calipers, I'da gone smaller.

My staple when I was a huntin/fishin/off-roading fool in the 80s and 90s were 33s on 15s on my Jeeps and 35s on 15s on my trucks. Although I guess what they say is true though, 90% of 4x4s sold today will never see off-road, so I guess for 90% of the people it don't matter. They are just gonna have to swell up and pay twice as much for their wheels and tires.

I'll bet y'all I've bought at least five sets of 15" Cragar Soft 8 wheels in my life and ain't ever paid more'n $45 a wheel, NIB...

OK, rant over...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-29-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2011 | 03:46 PM
MiRamDriver
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
This trend toward bigger and bigger wheels just amazes me, and not just Dodge! 20s on a 4x4 are about as useful as giving Rosie O'Donnell a box of condoms unless you are gonna WAY overlift an IFS truck and slap 37s or larger on it.

I belong to a hunting club with about 65 members, almost all of who have a lifted pickup and we laugh our collective a$$es off when a prospective member drives 4x4 with 20s (OR LARGER) looking to join. We know that summbiotch is gonna get towed out the swamps his first time in.

There is just NO sidewall for flex or floatation and you can forget airing down!

I don't blame most guys who buy 'em, cause it's all they put on the lots anymore, but the guys who buy these big honkin' wheels just to OVERPAY for tires in 20" are nuts in my opinion, unless they have a 2WD or plan on mall hopping that 4x4. Hell my stock 20s lasted THREE DAYS before I replaced them with 17's and if they'da cleared the calipers, I'da gone smaller.

My staple when I was a huntin/fishin/off-roading fool in the 80s and 90s were 33s on 15s on my Jeeps and 35s on 15s on my trucks. Although I guess what they say is true though, 90% of 4x4s sold today will never see off-road, so I guess for 90% of the people it don't matter. They are just gonna have to swell up and pay twice as much for their wheels and tires.

I'll bet y'all I've bought at least five sets of 15" Cragar Soft 8 wheels in my life and ain't ever paid more'n $45 a wheel, NIB...

OK, rant over...
The Duratrac's didn't come in the overall size that I wanted for an 18" rim, otherwise I would have gone that route. But I ran 20's on my last Ram and never had an issue off-road, but then again I don't off-road on rocky terrain where I'd definitely want a smaller diameter wheel.

Old 08-29-2011 | 03:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by MiRamDriver
The Duratrac's didn't come in the overall size that I wanted for an 18" rim, otherwise I would have gone that route. But I ran 20's on my last Ram and never had an issue off-road, but then again I don't off-road on rocky terrain where I'd definitely want a smaller diameter wheel.
yeah rocky terrain is a huge one for having as much sidewall as you can get, but mud and I'm talkin' deep mud with standing water over it is one place you REALLY want sidewall. The more air you can keep in a tire while airing down for a large footprint the more floatation the tire has, which means it doesn't bog down in the mud as readily. You ain't seen mud till you've seen south Georgia red clay mud - picture a combo of ice and quicksand, LOL.

Trust me, I've been winching my a$$ out of mud since I was in junior high (and that would be the mid 80s)...

Old 08-29-2011 | 05:21 PM
stlram
Rookie

I just bought some Cooper AT3 275 65 20's and I love them. Super quiet on the highway, good in the rain. Havent had a chance to get them off road yet but with deer season right around the corner its only a matter of time. Nice aggressive looking tire but not over the top. Paid 300 per tire installed and I think they have a 55000 mile warranty. Coopers web page has a lot of info on these tires.

Quick Reply: Nitto Trail Grappler or Goodyear Duratrac