4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

truck + Snow= Fail

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:21 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought...

I own a sport, haven't doubt with this issue to date through the past two winters, even in heavy snowfalls. I added the tow hooks to my sport Ram, cutting/modified the lower bumper center plastic piece. Since the idea had come up with the sport air-damn is creating suction (possibly), maybe removing that center plastic piece will devert air sort of creating a forced air intake pushing a downdraft to the wheels. There's only seven tabs to unlatch, and the part pops out.

I have mine modified, not removed completely, just enough for about one inch off center on both for the tow hook clearance.

Just an idea though.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:26 PM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtivr6
what else is good out there that I can spray the linkage under the truck with. I installed the Mopar Skid Plates and to tell you the truth, I dont think its going to do anything. Just does not cover enough area. There nice and all but they only protect certain areas. I Think I give up. If it get stuck again im calling roadside and having them deal with it. I only have the truck 7months. Just dont understand how it caked so much in that one area.
Yup, you`re absolutely right, skid plates wont save you.
Just keep some sort of spray or pump bottle of windshield de-icer with you.
If it freeze`s up, leave the truck running, park brake on, spray the shift linkage, and with the combination of heat (from the engine/tranny & exhaust) under the truck and the de-icer, you`ll be back on the road in no time. Also keep a stick of some sort in the truck to knock the snow and ice away from the trans linkage. The up side to this, it dosent happen very often, but prepare yourself in the meentime.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 PM
gtivr6
Amateur

I found a fix. selling my truck. Ill wait for chevy to come out with a new silverado.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:50 AM
huntergreen
Professional

Originally Posted by LU229
Yup, you`re absolutely right, skid plates wont save you.
Just keep some sort of spray or pump bottle of windshield de-icer with you.
If it freeze`s up, leave the truck running, park brake on, spray the shift linkage, and with the combination of heat (from the engine/tranny & exhaust) under the truck and the de-icer, you`ll be back on the road in no time. Also keep a stick of some sort in the truck to knock the snow and ice away from the trans linkage. The up side to this, it dosent happen very often, but prepare yourself in the meentime.
i hear what you are saying, but why should we have to deal with this problem at all, shouldn't dodge come up with a fix? what good is a 4x4 truck that can't be driven in the snow.

also, would the wax i use on my skis prevent this problem?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Medic1
Professional

I can't believe people are having these issues with snow. I am in Canada, and we got blasted with almost 36" in a couple days last year. We usually get at least 2-3 good dumpings a year in which I need to drive down roads that haven't yet been cleaned. I regularly plowed through unplowed roads with at least 12" of snow and slush and never had a single problem. Guess maybe I am just lucky?

Old 11-10-2011, 04:12 PM
jawsdc
Veteran

tires may have alot to do with it also. i have a set of tires that i am having great luck with but they throw off/up a huge amount of loose aggregate.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 PM
2006 Jackpot

i just got my 2011 sport qc 4x4 and this will be my first winter with it. would someone explain where the issue is that the snow/slush is getting stuck that is causing this issue?
thanks

Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by huntergreen
i hear what you are saying, but why should we have to deal with this problem at all, shouldn't dodge come up with a fix? what good is a 4x4 truck that can't be driven in the snow.

also, would the wax i use on my skis prevent this problem?
Yes, i agree, dodge SHOULD come up with a fix, but my guess is, they wont.
Sorry, but wax wont do a thing to help. The problem is the slush & snow in its right element will get splashed up into the linkage and pack itself in there really hard. Continual slush & snow just builds up, nothing will stop it except a deflector shield in front of the linkage. I built one for my truck, havent had the problem since i installed it.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:27 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by 2006 Jackpot
i just got my 2011 sport qc 4x4 and this will be my first winter with it. would someone explain where the issue is that the snow/slush is getting stuck that is causing this issue?
thanks
Look under your truck on the drivers side (at the linkage where it hooks to the transmission)
Thats where the slush an snow pile up in there. What some of us are noticing, it seems to be only the sport and some laramie trucks with 20inch tires. Some of us think its the big fat goodyear HP 20inch tires are causing it. The big fat front tires seem to splash alotta slush up under the truck causing it to land onto the shift cable/linkage and freeze up, then you cant shift the trucks shifter. I`ve only heard of this happening to console floor shifted trucks (Sport`s & Laramie`s) Any trucks with colum shifters dont seem to be having an issue with the slush and snow. Most of the trucks with colum shifters seem to have 17in tires. I havent heard of the 17inch tire trucks having the issue. (mainly because the 17inch tires have a MORE aggressive tread pattern to cut thru without splashing thru it) My personal opinion is the HP 20inch tires dont cut thru slush and snow like the narrower 17inch tires. The wide HP 20inchers seem to plow over slush instead of cutting thru it. I believe tread design is the MAIN issue. It collects ALOT of snow material in front of the tread, then sqaush`s it out the front sides of the tread, then up under the drivetrain instead of cutting cleanly thru the slush and snow. Anyhow, this is what i`m seeing when i tested for the slush problem vs tires.

Last edited by LU229; 11-10-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:40 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by jawsdc
tires may have alot to do with it also. i have a set of tires that i am having great luck with but they throw off/up a huge amount of loose aggregate.
Spot On brother...!!!! The tires are the problem.

Quick Reply: truck + Snow= Fail