4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

I just got raped on some shipping but im glad i got it

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:47 PM
frogslinger
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darek117
Great question but idk yet i am deployed to Kuwait so i haven't got to try it myself yet but from what i have read and talked to people about BD has no tranny tunes.
What base?

Old 12-19-2011, 02:02 AM
Darek117
Rookie

Originally Posted by frogslinger
What base?
Camp Beuhring. I get leave in a couple weeks so Im ready for that so i can see my new toy. Bought it while i was here via internet and telephone. This is my second deployment and my last. I as previously deployed to Camp Cropper on the Lib/Vic complex near Baghdad Iraq in 2008.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:53 AM
frogslinger
Captain

Originally Posted by Darek117
Camp Beuhring. I get leave in a couple weeks so Im ready for that so i can see my new toy. Bought it while i was here via internet and telephone. This is my second deployment and my last. I as previously deployed to Camp Cropper on the Lib/Vic complex near Baghdad Iraq in 2008.
2001 Arifjan (Force Protection)
2004 Diamondback, Mosul Iraq (Gun Truck)
2005 KCIA (Base Supposrt)
2006-2007 Arifjan (Line Haul)
2007 Kandahar Afghanistan (Gun Truck)
2008-2009 Arifjan (Line Haul)
2011-2012 Arifjan (Line Haul)

I was last at B-ring a week ago for a all green run to Adder.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:13 AM
Darek117
Rookie

Originally Posted by frogslinger
2001 Arifjan (Force Protection)
2004 Diamondback, Mosul Iraq (Gun Truck)
2005 KCIA (Base Supposrt)
2006-2007 Arifjan (Line Haul)
2007 Kandahar Afghanistan (Gun Truck)
2008-2009 Arifjan (Line Haul)
2011-2012 Arifjan (Line Haul)

I was last at B-ring a week ago for a all green run to Adder.
That is to many deployments. lol I have given 7 years and 2 deployments and i have had my fill. Ready to get back in school not have to stand in a formation ever again. lol Im glad I served my country and proud to be a soldier. Now its time to find something new.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darek/Frogslinger thanks for your service overseas guys! I myself am active duty (i have not been overseas, since I am in the USCG..Bring it I get crap for it all the time! lol) But seriously thanks for all you guys do over there.

But back on thread topic... I thought about this Sonnax line booster but am curious to know if it's needed w/ my SC Cortex tuner...don't know to much about these sonnax line boosters...

Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Pull Ya
Professional

These are the comments from an "expert" on our transmissions, when he was asked a question about the Sonnex.(Comments stolen from another fourm).
Jay

These LP boosters "adjust" the sensor reading, making it appear that line pressure is lower than it really is, so the controller will crank up the pressure (until it reads high enough). I don't think a small "adjustment" will hurt much, but I'm not sure it will help either. The controller learns the minimum line pressure needed to avoid clutch slippage. And that's not a single value - the LP is adjusted continuously depending on temperature, throttle opening, gear, etc. So let's say the minimum LP (for a certain set of conditions) is really 50 psi, but your LP booster is faking the sensor by 10 psi. The controller will "learn" the min line pressure to 60 psi and set it there, but in reality you'll still be at 50 psi. So you get no real benefit. There are some times (like during shifts) when we use a fixed LP value, so you would get higher LP at those times, but then the shift parameters (solenoid duty cycles, etc.) are also learned, so again you'll probably just learn those parameters to different values so you get the same shift performance as before. One area that might cause an issue is the fact that we set a fault if the LP sensor reading is too high (greater than 4.75 V I think). At max line pressure in Reverse (250 psi I think) the sensor reading is just below this threshold. So if your booster cranks the voltage up above 4.75 V, you could blow a fault, which would put you into open-loop line pressure control (where it ignores the sensor altogether). This would NOT light the MIL, by the way.

Bottom line: I don't think an LP "booster" will actually do much for you. You may get firmer shifts initially, but then the TCM will re-learn the shift adaptives (to give you smooth shifts with your new, higher line pressure) and you'll be right back where you started. So I wouldn't spend my money on one of these "boosters."

Old 12-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pull Ya
These are the comments from an "expert" on our transmissions, when he was asked a question about the Sonnex.(Comments stolen from another fourm).
Jay

These LP boosters "adjust" the sensor reading, making it appear that line pressure is lower than it really is, so the controller will crank up the pressure (until it reads high enough). I don't think a small "adjustment" will hurt much, but I'm not sure it will help either. The controller learns the minimum line pressure needed to avoid clutch slippage. And that's not a single value - the LP is adjusted continuously depending on temperature, throttle opening, gear, etc. So let's say the minimum LP (for a certain set of conditions) is really 50 psi, but your LP booster is faking the sensor by 10 psi. The controller will "learn" the min line pressure to 60 psi and set it there, but in reality you'll still be at 50 psi. So you get no real benefit. There are some times (like during shifts) when we use a fixed LP value, so you would get higher LP at those times, but then the shift parameters (solenoid duty cycles, etc.) are also learned, so again you'll probably just learn those parameters to different values so you get the same shift performance as before. One area that might cause an issue is the fact that we set a fault if the LP sensor reading is too high (greater than 4.75 V I think). At max line pressure in Reverse (250 psi I think) the sensor reading is just below this threshold. So if your booster cranks the voltage up above 4.75 V, you could blow a fault, which would put you into open-loop line pressure control (where it ignores the sensor altogether). This would NOT light the MIL, by the way.

Bottom line: I don't think an LP "booster" will actually do much for you. You may get firmer shifts initially, but then the TCM will re-learn the shift adaptives (to give you smooth shifts with your new, higher line pressure) and you'll be right back where you started. So I wouldn't spend my money on one of these "boosters."
Wow I never thought about that. Its a valid point, but I definitely saw a difference in my 3rd gen. It was firm even months after the install. It could be different on the 4th gens tho. I would be curious to see if sonnex has implemented an over voltage into their module to put in in fault 24/7. Then do as you say have a set PSI. Maybe this is why my dealership stated that anything with just just resistors will void the warranty.

Maybe I will have to get in touch with sonnex and actually figure out if its just a resistor bank...In that case I might just say forget it! I guess derek will be the test here!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Darek117
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nate769
Wow I never thought about that. Its a valid point, but I definitely saw a difference in my 3rd gen. It was firm even months after the install. It could be different on the 4th gens tho. I would be curious to see if sonnex has implemented an over voltage into their module to put in in fault 24/7. Then do as you say have a set PSI. Maybe this is why my dealership stated that anything with just just resistors will void the warranty.

Maybe I will have to get in touch with sonnex and actually figure out if its just a resistor bank...In that case I might just say forget it! I guess derek will be the test here!
When i get home and am able to put it in after a bit of driving without it i will let you know and keep you posted as weeks go by. But it would seem if this is true... if it did catch on to the wool over its eyes couldn't you just unhook it for a couple days and then hook it back up? Kind of a hassle but may be worth it to some ppl.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no expert but I've been looking around for reviews and what Pull Ya says is generally what I've read. I also saw in some CTD forums that with manufacturing variances and different electronic modules, that in some of the diesels, it was creating problems with the tranny not going into overdrives. Nowhere did I find anyone to claim it damaged anything but some folks had to pull it off to get back to normal shifting. I'm not saying that this will occur with the gassers, just passing information around. I'd love to hear from Gen4 users experiences so that I may consider putting one on.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Pull Ya
Professional

I have had one installed in my truck for about 3 months.(2010 Dodge 1500 Quad cab 4x4 Hemi) The shifts do not seem to be "hard" as what you would expect from a "shift kit". However, I can tell there is a difference in the shifting under acceleration. The largest difference I have seen is in the automatic downshift when slowing down. It is much more noticeable. I have not had any problems with the Sonnex and I have driven about 5K miles since the installation.(I installed the Sonnex before I read the comments in my above post.)
Jay

Quick Reply: I just got raped on some shipping but im glad i got it