4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Flowmaster Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:22 AM
2011BlackRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 464jet
Just wondering if you had the magnaflow cat back system or just the muffler? I have the magnaflow cat back and the drone is very little and the hemi sounds great through that stainless mandrel bent pipe.Around town I turn the MDS off anyway, it aint saving gas in town.
I have the 24" one, but its just the muffler, not the cat back system. It sounds great with the muffler, except for the drone. And its a little too loud now to remote start my truck in the mornings, the neighbors complain it wakes them up now. It quiets down pretty good after a couple minutes once it warms up, but by then they are already awake.

Last edited by 2011BlackRam; 01-03-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what you get when you live in the concrete jungle... NEIGHBOR`S. So go tell your neighbors to move farther away or tell them to just shut the fugg up. I bet your neighbors drive toyota prius gas sippers too. In the summer, my wife rides her harley to work every morning when the weather permits it, leaves around 4:30am, no baffles either, nobody complains.

And about your 24" muffler... drone...? Does it drone inside the cab...???
Friends of mine don`t. Their`s aren`t that much louder than the stock mufflers were.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:55 AM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbusch720
I think I am going to try the Magnaflow 5 x 11 x 22 (28 total length). They also make a 5 x 8 x 24 (30 total length). What do you guys think would be the quietest of the two? Roar is not important to me, but I don't want to kill performance too much. From the sound of it, I may have killed performance already by choosing the Flowmaster. Thanks again for the insight!
If roar isn't what you are after then just put the stock system back on and forget it. You gain nothing as far as performance from an aftermarket exhaust on these trucks.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree w/ Jay 100%...If your looking performance don't go w/ a muffler swap...you gain purely nothing! If you want any kind of performance out of an exhaust system, go cat-back, headers, free flow y pipe... but then your back at square one, two loud of a system. like jay said, put the stock system back on to eliminate drone w/ the resonators before the tailpipe and add a programmer to your truck if you want performance.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM
2011BlackRam
Professional

Originally Posted by LU229
Thats what you get when you live in the concrete jungle... NEIGHBOR`S. So go tell your neighbors to move farther away or tell them to just shut the fugg up. I bet your neighbors drive toyota prius gas sippers too. In the summer, my wife rides her harley to work every morning when the weather permits it, leaves around 4:30am, no baffles either, nobody complains.

Friends of mine don`t. Their`s aren`t that much louder than the stock mufflers were.
I wish I didn't have neighbors, but im stuck with the ones I have. Eventually I'll have no neighbors and a garage to fit all my toys, but for now I have no choice.

It drones inside the cab very noticeably at 50 and 70, both of which are the speeds on the roads by my house. I had the radio at 19 this morning and I could clearly hear the drone over it. If I leave it in tow/haul there is no drone, but in normal drive there is. On any roads that aren't perfectly flat it gets even worse. I like the sound of it overall, just could do without the drone, after an hour on the highway im ready to put the stock one back on.

FWIW I have the stock dual pipes out the rear bumper, maybe it makes a difference.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Mikeyyy and Hammer are on the money...!
Dump the "Slowmaster" and install the magnaflow.
The magnaflow 24" bolt-on would be my choice (No Noticable Drone w/24")
I would recommend going with the stainless, the stainless magnaflow will last alot longer.
I had the 24" prior to putting my cat back in and it wasn't that loud, if you think the 24" is to loud, than you will not like any aftermarket muffler. just my

Old 01-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 2011BlackRam
I wish I didn't have neighbors, but im stuck with the ones I have. Eventually I'll have no neighbors and a garage to fit all my toys, but for now I have no choice.

It drones inside the cab very noticeably at 50 and 70, both of which are the speeds on the roads by my house. I had the radio at 19 this morning and I could clearly hear the drone over it. If I leave it in tow/haul there is no drone, but in normal drive there is. On any roads that aren't perfectly flat it gets even worse. I like the sound of it overall, just could do without the drone, after an hour on the highway im ready to put the stock one back on.

FWIW I have the stock dual pipes out the rear bumper, maybe it makes a difference.
I had the stock rear pipes out the rear bumper two when I had the 24", and I loved the sound then took the resonators out and it made it sound much nicer, IMO. You could ask me "if this brand droned at the speed or that brand" it would be completely different between the both of us... each person has a different perception of what they like. I drive 30 miles one way to work and it does not bother me one bit...I've asked people I talk on the phone w/ using my U-Connect and they said they can't hear it, when I had the 24" or Cat-Back.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

My neighbors in my apartment complex probably HATE me, but you know what...I hate the fact that when I have to be up at 430am to go to work and at 130 in the morning there partying on a thursday/night or whatever the case is....so on that note, ENJOY MY MAGNAFLOW CAT-BACK EXHAUST I'LL SHARE IT WITH EVERYONE!!!!

Last edited by Mikeyyy816; 01-03-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:53 PM
kddsRam
Veteran

Originally Posted by 2011BlackRam
...Its almost unbearable on the highway if there is any load put on the engine, particularly when the MDS is on. I would take a ride in someones truck that has a Magnaflow first before going with them. I got the Mufflex kit that everyone rants and raves about and there is a lot of droning... .

I would have ripped the Magnaflow 14" off if I could not disable MDS. Sounds like a diesel jake brake when MDS is engaged with anything but the stock muffler. I think the 14" magnaflow ( Mufflex kit ) is too obnoxious, at least for me, and I would go with the 24" if I did it again.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 PM
jbusch720

I think that I am going to sell the entire cat back system, and go back to stock. I must be getting too old.

If anybody is interested in buying it, please let me know. It is the entire system for factory single exhaust to dual. I have only had the system on for two weeks, and I was waiting to weld it until I tried it out, so it is pretty much like new. I will give someone a hell of a deal!

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Advice