4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Truck brands, what would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 AM
evan4434
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already talked to this dealer I guess Ford has $8,000 in rebates for 2011 right now and the price is accurate.

I don't know if you get what you pay for, but I have not had much luck with my past two Dodge trucks. I don't know if Ford is any better or not, but after the issues I have had I might be willing to take a chance. I have only owned Dodge tucks for the past 10 years. All my 5.9 cummins diesel trucks were great, my 6.7 cummins was a disaster, and my 2500 hemi truck I really like but I have a transmission noise since day one and Chrysler cannot fix it.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Dusty48
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evan4434
All my 5.9 cummins diesel trucks were great, my 6.7 cummins was a disaster, and my 2500 hemi truck I really like but I have a transmission noise since day one and Chrysler cannot fix it.
Are you sure it's a transmission noise? What are the symptoms?

Regards,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, dual exhaust, 20” wheels

Old 01-27-2012, 10:53 AM
evan4434
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty48
Are you sure it's a transmission noise? What are the symptoms?

Regards,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, dual exhaust, 20” wheels
Yes here is my post about it.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...ear-whine.html

It only happens in first gear as soon as it hits second it is gone.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I find it interesting that this question would be posted on a Dodge site. I mean what kind of answers do you expect to get?

I used to be a Ford guy until I got a royal screwing over on a new Ford that blew a piston at 14k miles. I could have overlooked a bad part but the way the dealer and Ford tried to duck fixing it in every way until I actually had to get a lawyer swore me off of Ford for life.

Have owned a few GM/Chevy and really haven't been thrilled with performance or finish. My last Chevy truck (a new '02 Z71) really had **** poor fit and finish and a very cheap plasticky interior, despite the fact it was top of the line, leather interior (the seats were probably the most plush/highest quality leather I've ever seen though). I had a drive shaft issue at 8k miles, but it was fixed in a day. The 5.3 REALLY felt underpowered, especially after a mild lift and upgrade to 33" tires and the engine dropped 1 QT. of oil between every 3k oil change from day one. No signs of leak and the dealer could never find the problem. After a couple of times of trying to diagnose it, I was finally told by the service manager "they all do that". So I ain't big about GM either.

My loyalty to Dodge really has to do with the lack of ANY problems I had with my '98 2nd Gen and my current 3rd Gen. Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe it's because I bought them new and I'm **** about maintenance and tend to mod out the problem areas before they had a chance to be a problem.

Personally, I don't think ANYBODY builds a great truck anymore. Not in today's times of lowest bids and Chinese parts and it doesn't help that American workers just don't have ANY pride in workmanship anymore...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-27-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I find it interesting that this question would be posted on a Dodge site. I mean what kind of answers do you expect to get?

I used to be a Ford guy until I got a royal screwing over on a new Ford that blew a piston at 14k miles. I could have overlooked a bad part but the way the dealer and Ford tried to duck fixing it in every way until I actually had to get a lawyer swore me off of Ford for life.

Have owned a few GM/Chevy and really haven't been thrilled with performance or finish. My last Chevy truck (a new '02 Z71) really had **** poor fit and finish and a very cheap plasticky interior, despite the fact it was top of the line, leather interior (the seats were probably the most plush/highest quality leather I've ever seen though). I had a drive shaft issue at 8k miles, but it was fixed in a day.
My 2010 camaro lost a tranny at 1370 miles. I had to be towed to the nearest dealer, and I was 800 miles from home.

Chevy/The Dealership:
-were incredibly nice
-Gave me a loaner car
-Paid for my hotel room
-Had a brand new transmission (they didnt rebuild it) overnighted from detroit, had it installed the next DAY and had me on my way.

Issues happen, I know that, but the way they handled that was better than I ever could have expected, and so I was VERY pleased with them. I love their cars, I just hate chevy trucks, pretty irrationally.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:39 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Personally, I don't think ANYBODY builds a great truck anymore. Not in today's times of lowest bids and Chinese parts and it doesn't help that American workers just don't have ANY pride in workmanship anymore...
Right ther you go...!!!! EXACTLY, that IS mostly the problem, no pride...!!!!
I`ll also add, i will NEVER understand why we build so much junk within these trucks today either, its not like we have ANY Competition outside of the USA for trucks. I blame the unions mostly, they`ve made it impossible to fire a person that just neglects everything they do because they dont have to worry about loosing their job for a **** poor job being done. But the thing they dont think about is, if you build **** quality, people will stop buying your product. This is just my opinion, ALL 3 of the big truck guys really need to step up the quality on ALL levels. Not just the manufactuer, but the dealerships as well. Dodge can build the best truck in the world, but they wont sell me another one until the "service after the sale" is stepped up by a longshot. I dont want to buy a chevy because they dont build anything i like and not to mention like HAMMER said, they just have cheezy plastic interiors, BUT i will say, i`ve had far better service after the sale with chevy. Service after the sale would be most important because you NEED it. I would NEVER concider another ford truck either, they were the absolute worst when it came to warranty work. So we are all stuck with having to chose the lesser of the 3 evil`s and live with it. For me, dodge is/was the winner only because of the looks and ride of the truck and that hemi engine was the icing on the cake that sold me on the truck.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Dusty48
Veteran

Using measurable criteria, I think cars and trucks are much, much better than they use to be. The latest J.D. Power data indicate a problem-per-100-vehicle rate of 140, I believe, as the industry average. In 1969 the number was over 800, with some nameplates over 1300! I think the highest problem per 100 vehicle score for 2011 was 350 or something for the VW Jetta. All vehicles today have more complex systems and a much larger array of standard equipment and available options.

Let's not forget where we've been. When I compare my '71 Chevy C10 to my 2010 Ram, the Ram is a hands down winner. The C10 had numerous problems from day one, including water in the cab, on the dash, in the instrument cluster, and on you when you opened the door. Not to mention the bad front pinion seal, windows that kept coming off the track, holes in the bed floor from spot weld burn-throughs, a bad master cylinder, a bad wiper motor, and eventually a cracked cylinder head. I should add that with 3.08 rear gears and a Turboglide transmission, the 4 barrel 350 never got better than 15 MPG, and usually less than 9 MPG just around town. The '71 trucks had a sophistication level roughly equivalent to Tonka when compared to anything being offered today by any light-duty pickup manufacturer.

In fact, with the exception of the two recalls (heater control programming and tie-rods) I've had no warranty repairs at all on the Ram. I must note that when I peek into the F150, Silverado, Tundra, and Titan forums I read similiar messages about problems and comensurate frustration. the only difference I can really see is that Ram owners in general, for whatever reason, seem to be far less forgiving. I just looked at a post last night from an individual that was complaining bitterly about his mechanical issues on a new Silverado, yet in the very same message he proclaims that every other competitive truck model is a "POS."

Nothing is perfect. Right now in light duty trucks the saints of self proclaimed knowledge...Consumers Reports...lists the F150, Ram, Sierra, and Silverado as "average" in reliability. Tundra is slightly better, and Titan is rated "much worse."

I understand how consumer unhappiness works and how it can be frustrating if you're having an issue, whether real or perceived. Humans are most often tainted with a perspective that is based solely on their own personal dissatisfactions, happiness, or experiences. However, I think that broad characterizations are inaccurate and unjustified.

Best regards,
Dusty

Last edited by Dusty48; 01-28-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:57 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not trying to troll any one, Dodge people are stright forward, they like what they like and can be honest abought what they dont like.

I was in the ford camp,and I died in the ford camp, the new 5.0 engine could be a game changer for ford, but I have learned it also has two plugs per cy, just like the hemi, so it from my standpoint of copper plugs, or changing out two plugs per cy, the 5.0 lacks the cubics of the 5.7 and really from a smaller displacment engie to come close to a bigger displacment engine, stick with the hemi.

I test drove a a fully loaded killing for bear Ram from enterprise, If I want a car with a box, the Ram is a out standing truck, how ever, thier were too many items I hated, none had to do with ride, or performance.

Sun roof, if your over 6ft3, don't get a ram with a sun roof, no head room, the console shifer takes up way too much leg room, front cabin to front cabin my 06 has more room, hands down.

as for creature comforts, the new gen is hands down a bitter fit than the ford, If I go new, I just get a base ranm slt with the coulme shift and 17 in rims.

The ram I drove had 20 in rims and the fake dual ex, it really felt slow under 45 mph, but beame a hell of a rocket over 45mph, I have no idea what gear ratios where in this truck.

If I could get a Ram, as a old school ram charger, not a grand cherokie or durango, but a full size Ram SUV I would give up my love of 6speed man transmissons and I would jump.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 PM
kpevin
Veteran

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Im not trying to troll any one, Dodge people are stright forward, they like what they like and can be honest abought what they dont like.

I was in the ford camp,and I died in the ford camp, the new 5.0 engine could be a game changer for ford, but I have learned it also has two plugs per cy, just like the hemi, so it from my standpoint of copper plugs, or changing out two plugs per cy, the 5.0 lacks the cubics of the 5.7 and really from a smaller displacment engie to come close to a bigger displacment engine, stick with the hemi.

I test drove a a fully loaded killing for bear Ram from enterprise, If I want a car with a box, the Ram is a out standing truck, how ever, thier were too many items I hated, none had to do with ride, or performance.

Sun roof, if your over 6ft3, don't get a ram with a sun roof, no head room, the console shifer takes up way too much leg room, front cabin to front cabin my 06 has more room, hands down.

as for creature comforts, the new gen is hands down a bitter fit than the ford, If I go new, I just get a base ranm slt with the coulme shift and 17 in rims.

The ram I drove had 20 in rims and the fake dual ex, it really felt slow under 45 mph, but beame a hell of a rocket over 45mph, I have no idea what gear ratios where in this truck.

If I could get a Ram, as a old school ram charger, not a grand cherokie or durango, but a full size Ram SUV I would give up my love of 6speed man transmissons and I would jump.
FWIW useable head room is the same sunroof or none on a 4th gen Dodge, I've had both. I'm 6'4" and had no issues with the sunroof, the part of the roof that sits lower with the sunroof is well forward of where an over 6 foot person's head sits. My 2010 had the sunroof and the new 2012 I just picked up doesnt.

You can also get a Laramie with a bench seat, column shift and 17" wheels, just dont see them on lots very often since the 500.00 bucket/console option comes with a few other things and thge 20s are standard (17s get you a 500.00 credit). I have no issue with the console as far as front seat room, there is plenty for me and I'm a big guy, all you lose with the buckets is a place to put a 6th person if need be. myself I'd rather have 17s and a bench seat as well, but I usually buy off the lot.

As far as I know the new 5.0 Ford doesnt have two plugs per cylinder, the 6.2 has two plugs per cylinder I think, its possible I guess and cant say for sure because I dont own one. But the 5.0 in my 2011 Mustang has only one plug per cylinder. I'm not a huge fan of swapping plugs at 30K miles, I changed them on my wife's 2010 Hemi Jeep after 31K miles and they looked great so who knows..

Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Dusty48
Veteran

Originally Posted by kpevin
FWIW useable head room is the same sunroof or none on a 4th gen Dodge, I've had both. I'm 6'4" and had no issues with the sunroof, the part of the roof that sits lower with the sunroof is well forward of where an over 6 foot person's head sits. My 2010 had the sunroof and the new 2012 I just picked up doesnt.

You can also get a Laramie with a bench seat, column shift and 17" wheels, just dont see them on lots very often since the 500.00 bucket/console option comes with a few other things and thge 20s are standard (17s get you a 500.00 credit). I have no issue with the console as far as front seat room, there is plenty for me and I'm a big guy, all you lose with the buckets is a place to put a 6th person if need be. myself I'd rather have 17s and a bench seat as well, but I usually buy off the lot.

As far as I know the new 5.0 Ford doesnt have two plugs per cylinder, the 6.2 has two plugs per cylinder I think, its possible I guess and cant say for sure because I dont own one. But the 5.0 in my 2011 Mustang has only one plug per cylinder. I'm not a huge fan of swapping plugs at 30K miles, I changed them on my wife's 2010 Hemi Jeep after 31K miles and they looked great so who knows..
In 2010 the console shift included the Transmission Range Select (TRS) and was standard equipment on the Sport model, optional on all other versions except ST. Mine came with the 26T Big Horn package (SLT). It hasn't impinged on my comfort at all, then again I'm not a six footer.

I thought the "fake dual exhaust" comment was a little sardonic since it's not fake and that's what most people put on their competitive models anyways. If "fake" is defined as both exhaust banks feeding into one muffler, I'm not sure anyone makes an aftermarket straight dual system for a truck anyways, but I could be wrong. Regardless, at the moment I don't believe anyone else does a straight-out dual outlet from the factory. Especially well integrated into the design of the bumper. In any event Chrysler did a pretty good job executing their system. I notice an equal amount of exhaust vapor flows out of mine giving me the impression it's very balanced. A lot of aftermarket systems I've seen seem to exhaust much more on one side.

Regards,
Dusty

Quick Reply: Truck brands, what would you buy?