4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bakflip cover or other soft cover opinions? Pros? Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:37 PM
11hemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys!!! The hard cover seems like a better way to go to me. Altho i live in a very small town and i kno everyone and my truck is never too far away from my eye sight. Always better safe than sorry tho!! I dont haul much higher items in the bed if i have to i have trailers anyways. Biggest thing is i need all my gear with me at all times but not being able to use my back seat is driving me nuts!! Im gunna start lookin more into the bakflip series and im actually quite intrested in the peragon design. Looks neat and not very common to see how here. Looks like a sharp setup altho i dont like how you have to drill holes into the truck to mount it. I will start looking into it more in my spare time and let you guys know how i make out!! Thanks again!!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:18 PM
WNDERR
Veteran

The Bakflip is very secure - the average thief wouldn't know how to force it open..... Once the tailgate is locked, it too is locked.

Install it as close to the tailgate as you can, making sure the front is covered, and it is even more difficult to force open.

Bakflip is secure, good looking, easy to fold open or closed, can travel in the open position, and works as designed.

What more could you ask for ---- I wish I would have bought mine first, and saved a few bucks on others I bought. A quality product, with excellent customer service.

By searching, you can find a decent price on the web. I'll bet your local dealer will match it, mine did!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:09 PM
11hemi

WDNERR what version of the bakflip do you have? And how well does it stay dry inside ? Because thats the only thing im really concerened about yet when it comes to a hard folding cover

Old 02-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Peragon
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 11hemi
altho i dont like how you have to drill holes into the truck to mount it.
Hemi,

A couple of thoughts on the drilling concern.

- I understand how you feel and respect that you don't like the idea of drilling.

- We have chosen drilling over alternate methods because it provides a stable and secure mount.

- If you're concerned about rust, Por15 is known for its rust inhibitive qualities. A dab of this on the bare metal will protect it. Google it to find out more. Many customers have referred me to this product.

- The holes are the diameter of a pencil (1/4") and are located on the inside lip of the bed rail, not on top where it would be visible. Only 4 such holes are required on beds less than 8'. 8' beds require 6. The brackets serve as templates, so there's little chance of making a mistake. The manual is very descriptive of where the holes are located and we're just a phone call away if you have a question that is not answered by the manual or YouTube videos. If you'd like a copy of the install manual, send an email to tech@peragondotcom with your request.

- If you decide to remove the cover at a later time, the holes are easily plugged with: http://www.amazon.com/Flush-Hole-Typ.../dp/B000NHPJOM, which you can find at your hardware store.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. You'll find that our attentiveness is present before and after the sale.

Best wishes!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Twoolley

New member here - but another vote for the Bakflip. I've had several soft covers, and they're not even close to the Bakflip. It installed in about 20 minutes, and looks great!. I hated opening and closing the old soft cover, especially in the winter. The Bakflip opens in about 30 seconds, and closes just as quickly. My only complaint is that I keep forgetting to close the tailgate first.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Who the heck wants to lose the vision through the back window when the cover is open? Two thumbs down for Backflip on that regard. You can't see your load and you lose all vision out the back window. Nope. Dont like it at all.
I just think it's alot of money for what you get. I like the design and functionality of the Paragon better. The ramp system seems a little underdeveloped, but for the functionality, style and price, you cant go wrong! It's $200-400 cheaper than the backflip too.
I was first looking into the Rollbak retractible cover, but it's pricey and I heard it freezes up in the winter time.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:30 PM
WNDERR
Veteran

I have a Bakflip F1, and absolutely love it. Yes, it is dry inside. I see no negatives with this cover. Folded up against the back of the cab, it protects the rear window, if it's that full. You can drive with it in any position, or degree of openness. It looks and works great.

Like I said, I wish I would have bought this one first!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Who the heck wants to lose the vision through the back window when the cover is open? Two thumbs down for Backflip on that regard. You can't see your load and you lose all vision out the back window. Nope. Dont like it at all.
I just think it's alot of money for what you get. I like the design and functionality of the Paragon better. The ramp system seems a little underdeveloped, but for the functionality, style and price, you cant go wrong! It's $200-400 cheaper than the backflip too.
I was first looking into the Rollbak retractible cover, but it's pricey and I heard it freezes up in the winter time.
If I'm going to haul stuff that requires the cover to be folded all the way up I just remove it. Its only held on with 2 thumb screws, comes on and off in a minute or 2.

I'd be curious to see one of those Peragon covers in person to see how beefy it actually is and how it would work in an ice/snow environment.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Peragon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by oldjeep
I'd be curious to see one of those Peragon covers in person to see how beefy it actually is and how it would work in an ice/snow environment.
Snow and ice are no problem. We've designed it to work reliably in northern MN winters. Its snow load rating is 500 pounds. You can read what others are saying by visiting the links in my intro.

Although we don't have dealers, lining up an opportunity to see the cover is not impossible. We may have someone near you that would be willing to show their cover. If you're interested, call me and I'll see if I can arrange something for you.

Although it's no substitute for touching and feeling, these close ups may give you a better idea of how the cover is built.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
fan8157

I had a extang full tilt on my dakota that I had for 5 years and I liked it. tilted nice and went on and off easy.I did go another way on my new ram,I am in florida and the canvas was stating to get a little faded and hard from the sun,and I also got an all whitle express and didn't want a black cover on an all white truck,so I went with a undercover lux cover and love it.Its a hard cover,it tilts and removes in 30 sec and weighs only 50 lbs,and can hang on the wall in my garage.check it out

Quick Reply: Bakflip cover or other soft cover opinions? Pros? Cons?