4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bakflip cover or other soft cover opinions? Pros? Cons?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:19 PM
11hemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bakflip cover or other soft cover opinions? Pros? Cons?

Hey guys im interested in puttin a bed cover on my truck and love the new low pro designs that alot of company's have out now but im not sure if i could trust just velcro to hold it down or nothin at all on the sides like it looks on the extang revolution? Also what about tongue and groove models? I have also looked into the bakflip which seems like a great idea because ideally a hard cover would be the best for me because the reason im getting it is because im a volunteer firefighter and volunteer EMT which i have all my turnout gear and equipment and uniforms and medical equipment in my back seat and its so full i can barely see thru the back window haha and i have to do something about that!!! Ive looked around the forum in my spare time and seen numerous posts about some soft and hard covers leaking and also would the bakflip eventually set up or corrode at the seams where it folds? Could anybody give me a hand with pointin me in the right direction so i dont waste the money? Moneys a bit tight so im lookin for functionality but if the bakflip is as good as some people have said im gunna chip the extra coin and get it. Apologizes for all the questions! Thanks in advanced guys!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 PM
WNDERR
Veteran

Save yourself some grief, and money in the long run - buy the Bakflip first! You will thank me later!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional

Get yourself a fiberglass tonneau cover I recommend A.R.E, waterproof theft proof lockable and they look great.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by No More GM's For Me.
Get yourself a fiberglass tonneau cover I recommend A.R.E, waterproof theft proof lockable and they look great.
They work great as long as you don't need to get all or most of it out of the way to haul taller items - so that is something he needs to consider.

My Bakflip is a couple years old now. Havn't noticed corrosion anywhere on it. The seals seem to be holding up well and it still functions as well as the day I got it. Mine is somewhat scratched up, but I walk on it to load my kayak racks and lay skis on top of it when loading.

The soft tonneaus I've had have been generally useless after a year or so - shrinkage from the sun and they don't provide any security for things in the bed.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:02 PM
kpevin
Veteran

Originally Posted by oldjeep
They work great as long as you don't need to get all or most of it out of the way to haul taller items - so that is something he needs to consider.

My Bakflip is a couple years old now. Havn't noticed corrosion anywhere on it. The seals seem to be holding up well and it still functions as well as the day I got it. Mine is somewhat scratched up, but I walk on it to load my kayak racks and lay skis on top of it when loading.

The soft tonneaus I've had have been generally useless after a year or so - shrinkage from the sun and they don't provide any security for things in the bed.
+1 on the fiberglass, if you dont haul anything tall they are fine, but even a small chair and you cant close it so 'tall' is relative.

I bought an extang Fulltilt (the one without the snaps) back in late '09 and it has held up well enough I took it off the old truck and put it on the new 2012 I just bought - still looks like new and its still tight. I like to have the option of easily taking it off, opening like a trunk or rolling it up. Even though after 2.5 years I never rolled it up, if I go get something big I just take it off, I easily do it myself. No leaks either, I never liked soft covers but some of the new designs are pretty nice.,

Naturally there is no security as anything in your bed is assessable with a pocket knife, thats where the 'glass and covers like the backflip are nice. Though neither of them is exactly high security either, but it would take a little more work to pry them open. Most of the time having stuff out of sight is the best deterrent.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 PM
JohnVI
Veteran

I have a bakflip and love it. Folds all the way to the rear cab for 99% of your storage in your bed. Bakflip also just came out with the New rollx cover and the new Fibermax..Very cool
https://www.bakfactoryoutlet.com/rollx/rollx-cover.html

Old 02-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Peragon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 11hemi
Hey guys im interested in puttin a bed cover on my truck...
Have you considered the Peragon truck bed cover? You would also be eligible for a Fire/Law Enforcement/Military discount. You can start your research at https://dodgeforum.com/forum/new-mem...ml#post2695698. Feel free to call if you have questions. 877-473-7246.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Peragon
Have you considered the Peragon truck bed cover? You would also be eligible for a Fire/Law Enforcement/Military discount. You can start your research at https://dodgeforum.com/forum/new-mem...ml#post2695698. Feel free to call if you have questions. 877-473-7246.

Pretty cool looking, but it looks to me like that ramp would be really easy to destroy with cargo.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Peragon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Pretty cool looking, but it looks to me like that ramp would be really easy to destroy with cargo.
Greetings oldjeep!

It's not a problem that we've been made aware of. In the old days (3+ years ago) we had a different setup that was susceptible to cargo shift. Our current system is tucked in front of the wheel well and is out of the way and no problems with it yet...knock on wood

Old 02-10-2012, 09:56 PM
chadwall
Professional

I have a lund genesis snap soft tonneau. I love it, looks good, fit great. Took it from my 99 to my 2012. The bows keep the snow from sagging it and gives u just a little wiggle room for height.

I roll it up for the drive in or whenever I need to haul something. And easily take it completely off for when I use the atv rack.

Sealed great, got the tailgate seal tho, and its water proof. People are gonna get in any if they want ur stuff. But out of sight, out of mind.
Is rather someone unsnap it and get my stuff, rather than break my tailgate. That's what insurance is for. But, I've never had anyone steal anything from it.

Plus it was under $180 shipped from jcwhitney with a 15% off code.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bakflip cover or other soft cover opinions? Pros? Cons?