4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New 2013 ram

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ratimux
Yeah RAM, really....??? - forget about that fuel economy CRAP!!! This is a full size truck that has 400 HP (with the hemi)...

Dodge --> Please take back the closing vents behind the front grill
Dodge --> Please take back the start / stop foolishness
Dodge --> Take back the electric steering nonsense
=====================================
Dodge --> GIVE ME 4.10 rear end ratio
Dodge --> Give me good quick acceleration
Dodge --> Give me good and precise steering
Dodge --> WHERE is the supercharged SRT RAM???
agreeeeeeeed!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first I was loving this truck! I wanted upgrade right now! But the more I looked into it, the more I saw things I didn't like.

I don't like that shift ****, takes away the feeling of shifting into gear! One thing I miss with a standard vehicle :P Although it does create more space...Also where they put it, it might be somewhere that you will turn when you go to change the heat! However they probably have a safety implemented thing with that...

I also don't know if I like the idea of electronic steering. I can't remember who already has it (I think it was ford) but were they not having issues? And the fact that there is no mechanical backup?

I'm also hit and miss on the electronics...I know its today's world, and its going to be just fine for anyone who is not going to do any aftermarket installations. But it seems that with this new system its going to be near impossible to anything on it! Those of us who have tried to do it on our 09s-11s already know how hard it is to re-do lighting!

HOWEVER There are many many more things I like about this truck,

Air ride sounds spectacular, and its probably going to solve all those issues that people have pulling boats, trailers that are ranging on the top of the half ton specifications...

Led lighting and projector headlights??? I hope they made it independent lighting on the quads, but its time they realized that a man/woman needs to see when driving these things!

Instrument cluster is a plus, the fact that the GPS will be in there will be excellent. No more switching between your audio and the GPS map to get where your going!

the Locking interface of the tailgate and push button start! Also a plus!

I don't know if I will upgrade to it the second it comes out, but I might 6 months after. I WILL however be getting the REAL MOTOR...THE HEMI...not that v6 crap haha

Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Coolidge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Rotory dial shift ****?

2. Low rolling resistence save the planet greenie tires? On a truck?

3. Coolant and fuel guages on top of the tach and speedo guages

4. Door panels look revolting

Old 04-05-2012, 11:33 PM
saberworks
Rookie

I don't have much feedback, but what I can say is that the more gears in an automatic transmission, the more I hate driving it. I have the 12 and it just shifts all the damn time. If I am turning left from a stop sign, it will upshift twice as I'm going around the corner, then I give it a bit more gas and it has to downshift twice. It's really annoying, I can't imagine how annoying an 8 speed would be. Give me 3+overdrive and I'll be happy, I don't care about the 2mpg difference.

Or figure a way to make a heavy-duty CVT transmission. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contin...e_transmission

I have one on my riding lawn mower and it rocks!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 AM
heff

release date? im getting rid of my 2010 Cummins laramie and will be either getting this or the eco boost. I wanna see real world tests on the 2013 before I jump all over it but I really like the changes. Would have loved a turbo v6...

Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 AM
ratimux
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nate769
At first I was loving this truck! I wanted upgrade right now! But the more I looked into it, the more I saw things I didn't like.

I don't like that shift ****, takes away the feeling of shifting into gear! One thing I miss with a standard vehicle :P Although it does create more space...Also where they put it, it might be somewhere that you will turn when you go to change the heat! However they probably have a safety implemented thing with that...
I totally agree with you -- Like the space that you get when removing the stick for shifting, but who the H3LL picked out the location for it????
I want to know who signed off on this stupid idea...and take their yearly bonus $$$
Once more --> Dodge, dont you see what others are doing with these shifting *****???
Put it next to the center console (a la BMW etc.), on the steering wheel (a la Merc.), put a little electronic stick that does not take so much space, BUT placing it where you have it right now...craaaaazy stupid idea (in my humble opinion)
It is not close to where this used to be (i.e center stack), it is not on the steering wheel, it could be easily mistaken for another AC/Audio ****, and we all will have to reach out for it every time we want to shift....
I know that on my 2009 the 4x4 modes were where that **** is now, and many times I had selected 4x4 mode by mistake and in-motion, when I was just trynig to adjust the volume or temperature in the car.
I thought this was supposed to be a more gastronomical and modern layout...

BUT that air suspension is something that will make me forget all gripes I have lets see how it actually performs on the road first.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 AM
WNDERR
Veteran

Has anyone gone to the New York show? How do you control shifting manually? Paddles in the steering wheel?????

I like the changes! But, where is the Ram BakFlip?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:35 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally watched the video last night.

Another thing I do not like.... Stop and go. And I reading that right? THe engine will turn off while you are sitting and fire back up upon pressing the gas pedal?? I hope I am reading that wrong. That idea is as bad as the shift ****, actually it is worse.

Looks like the tuners will need to make a few more "disable" features, that is if you are unable to disbale somehow with settings on the truck.

My summary is I like everything but
Shifter ****
Stop and go
Suspension, but let me clarify, the concept is good, I just want to see it in the real world for 2-4 years first. Also concerned about maintenance of the system for those that keep their trucks for 4, 5, 6, 7 years, or the impact it may have on the used market.

Last edited by CarGuyOhio; 04-06-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Owensue
Veteran

The engine starts when you release the brake so it's ready when you step on the gas. They say they have upgraded all components which pertain to this feature for durability.

Obviously it is a feature which can be turned on or off by the driver through the menu.

The air ride suspension looks interesting.
The 8 speed with the hemi says late availability for those interested.

I would also be interested in the lights if they could be swapped for my 11

Old 04-06-2012, 11:57 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

failure's just waiting to happen... I would trust my 2nd gen gasser and diesel out in the woods more than id trust taking this truck out...Living in montana im often50-100miles from the nearest people... So what happens if one of the airbags fail on me? What if the damn new shift **** don't work? What if my alt dies? Battery wont last long with elec powersteering... This truck might be nice for people in the city or people with deep wallets but i for see issues non stop with this truck...

Needs to go--
Shift ****--hope they have something in place if someone accidentally turns it to park/reverse at hwy speed... What if it fails?
Air suspension--have a feeling lifts are going to be SPENDY/hard to find. Also not to mention if it fails...
Stop and go engine? Do i need to even explain?
electric power steering.. uhhh So if that fails do i lose steering?

Quick Reply: New 2013 ram