4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

bad paint job

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012 | 10:28 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
I had a truck (GMC) that had some flaws on the left front fender, and I noticed it a week after I got it home. The dealer had their paint shop across the street from their lot and they did such a good job, that years later, the fender paint looked newer than the rest of the truck. Even though the truck had never been in an accident, that's the way it looked. I was not pleased because it affected the resale value.
I had the same problem with my 2010 camaro purchased new in 09. The paint job was terrible, chipping and cracking. They repainted about half the car, and after just two years the other half started getting pits and discoloring, and the half that they repainted still looked good as new.

I guess its pretty sad when you buy a new car your best bet is just to get it repainted off the lot haha. Remember when repaints were LOWER quality than the factory finish???

I have a 1999 chevy corvette with factory OEM paint and it still looks good as new. How does a 2010 look worse than the 99?

anyway, I know a lot of people are complaining about the rams. My '11 still looks good as new. Not one pit, bubble, or issue.

I wonder if the color matters? I know on the camaro the white, yellow, orange and bright red seemed to have issues, while the blacks, dark blues, etc. seemed fine. My ram is a "hunter green pearlcoat" and it is GREAT, but my yellow camaro was a nightmare. It sounds like most these paint issues are on light colored rams?

Old 10-24-2012 | 10:28 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by RocklandRam
LU229 who repainted the truck and did you have a say in that.
Long story short... no, i had no say in the matter according to their warranty manager.
So this is at the original dealership where i bought the truck, no problem getting it approved thru chrysler for re-paint. (inside of the box rusted at the bed seam in front of the tailgate) Found out the day i dropped it off, that the dealer no longer had a bodyshop anymore, they sent my truck to an independant bodyshop 40 miles away from the dealership. (i was NOT happy about that..!) They told me that this bodyshop guy was so good that i would not be able to tell the truck had ever been touched. (i said to them that i highly dought it, but go ahead an get it done, and i told them i dont wanna see a **** job done on it) I get the truck back the next day... not only could i tell that it had been re-painted, they left severe grinding marks in the metal, (idiot painted right over the grinding marks) the new paint bubbled up and started coming off days later. I am at a point right now where i dont give a **** about the truck anymore. I am not even going to complain to the dealer about the sh!!ty paintjob. (chalk it up to ANOTHER lesson learned) Like pedro said earlier, this will dam surely effect the resale value, but i dont care anymore, i`m done with chrysler. Soon as this truck is paid down a bit more, its going down the road. I will no longer buy or support chrysler any longer. Their service & work, AFTER the sale, is the worst i`ve EVER experienced in my life. I`ve worked in dealerships turnin wrench`s all my life, i`ve never seen such bs until recently. I have a bad rear differential, been fighting with the dealer to fix it. I`m better off just letting it burn the gears down and just remove the whole rearend and have a complete new one bolted in. I have doughts that they are even capable of rebuilding one. If they cant even paint a vehicle properly, how will they ever rebuild a rear differential properly.

Good luck with yours...!

Old 10-24-2012 | 10:32 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Arachnyd
I had the same problem with my 2010 camaro purchased new in 09. The paint job was terrible, chipping and cracking. They repainted about half the car, and after just two years the other half started getting pits and discoloring, and the half that they repainted still looked good as new.

I guess its pretty sad when you buy a new car your best bet is just to get it repainted off the lot haha. Remember when repaints were LOWER quality than the factory finish???

I have a 1999 chevy corvette with factory OEM paint and it still looks good as new. How does a 2010 look worse than the 99?

anyway, I know a lot of people are complaining about the rams. My '11 still looks good as new. Not one pit, bubble, or issue.

I wonder if the color matters? I know on the camaro the white, yellow, orange and bright red seemed to have issues, while the blacks, dark blues, etc. seemed fine. My ram is a "hunter green pearlcoat" and it is GREAT, but my yellow camaro was a nightmare. It sounds like most these paint issues are on light colored rams?
My truck is black, how do you explain that. The paint is just horrible on it. Ther are tons of thin spots, tons of grit an dirt under the factory paint. This complaint is not new, ther are TONS of sh!tty paint jobs out there on these trucks, color does NOT matter with them. Open the doors anywhere on my truck, look at the cab area within the door posts, can see right thru to the metal.

Old 10-24-2012 | 10:34 AM
oldjeep
Champion

LU229 - 2 things

1) it is spelled doubt
2) Why not have them do a spray in bed-liner instead of repainting?

Old 10-24-2012 | 10:39 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by oldjeep
LU229 - 2 things

1) it is spelled doubt
2) Why not have them do a spray in bed-liner instead of repainting?
I hear ya OJ, sprayin liner is a good idea, but i dont care for them myself. And i`m not about to spend anymore into this truck, i`m done with it AND chrysler.

As for the spelling, sorry, havin alot of old person moments lately.

Old 10-24-2012 | 10:45 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by LU229
I hear ya OJ, sprayin liner is a good idea, but i dont care for them myself. And i`m not about to spend anymore into this truck, i`m done with it AND chrysler.

As for the spelling, sorry, havin alot of old person moments lately.
I'm not suggesting that you spend anything on it. Take back the failed paint job and suggest that they just bed line it instead. Most dealers around here are set up to do spray in liners onsite.

Old 10-25-2012 | 12:01 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by oldjeep
I'm not suggesting that you spend anything on it. Take back the failed paint job and suggest that they just bed line it instead. Most dealers around here are set up to do spray in liners onsite.
GREAT idea OJ, BUT, thers no way they`ll do that for me. They only painted the bed seam area just ahead of the tailgate where it started to rust thru in between the 2 panels where they`re spot welded together. (they painted roughly a 2"x4' strip) And besides that, ther is NO dodge dealers around here that have a "spray-in bedliner shop" per say, they send them all out to have those done. And the ones i`ve seen done locally is the very reason i dont want a spray-in liner, the job they do on them here are just horrible looking after they`re done spraying them in. Friend of mine just had a spray-in liner done recently, his truck was COVERED in bed liner overspray when he got it back. (silver truck, can you imagine...? he was LIVID...!!!) His bed liner coating job looked like somebody just dumped buckets of the material in the box and then spread it around with a rubber driveway squeegee. The biggest thing with my truck is, i dont use it as a truck, 2-1/2+ years old and it dosent have a ding or a dent in it anywhere. (i wax it minimum once a month) Most people dont care how their trucks look because most people use them as work vehicles, i dont, so my standards of how i keep my truck, has alot to do with how picky i am about anything getting done to it. Just because something is being covered under warranty, dosent give them the right to do a sh!tty job for you... thats my total reason why i`m so pissed off... the quality of workmanship today, is gone. All the years i spent in dealerships turning wrench`s, i never once disrespected the customer or their vehicles, i cared about them AND their vehicle, after all, they were my bread an butter, i needed THEM as much as they NEEDED me. Its not like that anymore... get it in, get it out, screw the customer.

Quick Reply: bad paint job