4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

09' & 10' rear end issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mines just a pinion bearing.it will be fixed tomorrow

Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cmerritt84
Mines just a pinion bearing.it will be fixed tomorrow
Just the pinion bearing? Did you get a look at the pinion and ring gear yourself? I'd want to see it for myself if the pinion had been wobbling around like yours.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No. I didn't get to see it. I'm an OTR trucker. I'll trust them though. If it locks up or makes strange noises they'll hear from me again!!!

Old 09-28-2012, 08:34 AM
DodgeRam09
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what are the symptoms everyone is having? I am getting a dull whine at 50-60mph with oscillating vibration in the gas pedal. I put it in tow mode and still have the same problem. The noise is kind of like wom, wom, wom, wom.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgeRam09
So what are the symptoms everyone is having? I am getting a dull whine at 50-60mph with oscillating vibration in the gas pedal. I put it in tow mode and still have the same problem. The noise is kind of like wom, wom, wom, wom.
Your Particular Symptoms:
Whine - differential is starting to go away (likely your pinion bearings)
Oscillation vibration in gas pedal - caused by torsional vibrations coming from the engine.

Other 4th gen noise & vibe issues:
These 4th gen trucks also have a noisey torque convertor too (search for Star Case# S1121000005)
(noisey TC is the spline hub and shaft have to much play, cause`s a sound like a bad A/C compressor, cant feel it, but you can hear it)

Anyhow........
Do a search on the 2005 mopar exhaust ballasts, this cures most of the oscillations & vibrations.
You`ll likely need 2 of them, then attach them to the "Y" pipe w/stainless muffler clamps.
You will have to find the "sweet spot" on the "Y" pipe, but it does work very well.

Fixed quite a few gas pedal & steering wheel & seat oscillation vibes with these mopar ballasts.

This is the bulliten number: TSB 11-002-05 (its for an 05 Ram)

I`ve attached a couple pictures i borrowed from another persons truck with the ballasts installed in here... hope this helps you.
PS... these ballasts in the pictures were NOT installed by me, i always use actual stainless steel muffler clamps, NOT hose clamps.

Attached Thumbnails 09' & 10' rear end issues-img_2799.jpg   09' & 10' rear end issues-img_2798.jpg  

Last edited by LU229; 09-29-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

All,

I have just been informed that there will be a recall on certain 2009-2010 1500's and Dakota's equipped with the 9.25 axle for the pinion nut. Once I get a copy of the recall I will post it here.

Last edited by DodgeCares; 10-02-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
All,

I have just been informed that there will be a recall on certain 2009-2010 1500's and Dakota's equipped with the 9.25 axle for the pinion nut. Once I get a copy of the recall I will post it here.
It'll be interesting to see what the repair procedure is. I'd thought about staking the nut but didn't want to risk my warranty if the nut still backed off or split after that.

Last edited by oldjeep; 10-02-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked my build sheet and I have the 9.25 corporate axle, unit was built in August 08,have had no issues so far 55000 kms, would you know if Canadian units will be included,thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by No More GM's For Me.
I checked my build sheet and I have the 9.25 corporate axle, unit was built in August 08,have had no issues so far 55000 kms, would you know if Canadian units will be included,thanks for the heads up.
Originally Posted by oldjeep
It'll be interesting to see what the repair procedure is. I'd thought about staking the nut but didn't want to risk my warranty if the nut still backed off or split after that.

I do not know the answers to these questions yet, but as soon as I find out I will post them.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
All,

Well i hope it dont take forever getting this IMPORTANT info to all of us, because i would like to see what you`re going to do about all the rear differentials that are NOT set-up (from your vendor manufacturer) properly, and whine terribly. I had my pinion nut checked, its tight, BUT, my rear differential whines so loud from 50mph on up that the radio wont even drowned it out. If YOU personally work for chrysler DodgeCares, i would advize you find out who is qualified at your dealers to even work on these differentials before you people issue this recall. I have yet to meet a qualified differential technician in ANY of your dealer networks. At the most, these monkies today are going to make matters worse if they aren`t properly trained how to set-up a differential. I suspect most of them cant read, because the first thing they do is, is throw the instructions right in their garbage can. Issueing a recall is the right thing to do, but then to have "untrained techs" trying to repair the problem is a very bad thing on YOUR part. Tell your company to check your training records and UPDATE your tech`s training abilities..! Rebuilding a differential the correct way is an art, 1 out of 1,000 might get it right, the first time. A couple of your dealers here, when i asked them how they would fix the whine in my differential, said to me, and i quote.... "oh thats an easy fix on your truck, we`ll order a new crush sleeve, slap it in, tighten the pinion nut and its done". WRONG ANSWER...!!!! This is what YOUR dealers are telling customers...!!!! I dare you to call some of your dealerships and ask the techs that very question... i would be very curious as what they would tell you over the phone if they didnt know you worked for chrysler corp.

Sorry for the rant DodgeCares,
i`m just tired of the BS that your dealers tell the customer and how they handle a problem.

Quick Reply: 09' & 10' rear end issues